iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

skunk problems

Started by ADAMINMO, February 09, 2007, 11:39:30 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

flip

I'm all about lead poisoning.  Had one get in my chicken pen a few days ago and ate the days eggs >:( ...he got lead poisoning when he came out. ;)
Timberking B-20, Hydraulics make me board quick

SwampDonkey

Baking powder is good for eliminating a lot of odors. I had some kerosine on some clothes that I put through the wash 3 times with baking powder to get the odor out. My uncle got the idea of putting kerosine in a laundry soap jug and placed it in the wash room. Before I realized it the kerosine was on the clothes in the washer.  ::)
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

ohsoloco

Treebucker, as I was reading this thread I was thinking of the Mythbusters episode where they tried that peroxide/baking soda/dishsoap myth.  They said it worked better than the stuff you can buy that's made for removing skunk odor.  

That recipie has been here on the forum for a while.  I used it on my pup when she found a den of 'em  :(  I made it thick enough to be a little runnier than pancake batter, and it worked like a charm.  She's black (it's the pup in my avatar), and there was no "bleaching" problems with her fur  :)    

I just thump the babies in the head with a shovel.  DanG those things are cute...and fearless.  I walked up on a baby and the thing was lunging at me like "I'll take ya, punk"  :D  Oh, and the babies stink too.  

SwampDonkey

I've noticed that about skunks to. They will turn on you if you follow to close and rear up at you. They seem to be pretty fearless critters.

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

Murf

Quote from: SwampDonkey on February 28, 2007, 02:53:22 PM
They will turn on you if you follow to close .......

Donk, I'm not real sure I want to know why yer tail-gatin' skunks.......  ::)
If you're going to break a law..... make sure it's Murphy's Law.

ADAMINMO

Thanks for all the replys and comments and recipes.They all helped with the problem.I only have a slight skunk aroma lingering in my home , and a little aroma outside where I "took care" of the last one. smiley_smelly_skunk The airfreshner i bought didnt work so well smiley_airfreshener . If I catch another one (and I hope I dont) i will get some pics smiley_paparazzi of it.

Thanks to all!!!!

Robert R

I'm certainly no skunkologist but I have dealt with a number of them.  I actually look for them and hope to catch them.  Skunks smell a lot like money to me.

Two tips:
1.  If you are going to shoot a skunk, they are more likely to spray with a head shot than a heart shot.
2.  If you have one in a trap (havahart or foot hold), you can slowly walk up to a skunk, talking in slow calm voice and he won't spray.  If he starts tapping his front feet, he is getting nervous, back off and slow down.  A young skunk is more likely to spray than an old one.  Once you get within 5 or 6 feet, you can inject them in the chest with acetone through a syrringe on a kill pole.  It just takes seconds to work, I've never had one spray doing this and it doesn't mess up the hide.

I picked up two skunks off the side of the road a couple days ago.  I always keep my eye for them and consider it lucky to find them.  It is all a matter of perspective because I sure wish they'd come live under my house.
chaplain robert
little farm/BIG GOD

SwampDonkey

Murf, when I find one on the lawn I sometimes chase them off. But, a lot of times they stop and turn and I'm the one running.  They aren't as dumb as you think. I think they are actually smarter than cats. :D :D :D

Murf

Donk, I find em' diggin' up my lawn the odd time too, but when  Ichase em' off it's with a 12 gauge.  ;D

IF they turn on dat, den dey IS dumb as I think they is!!!!  :D
If you're going to break a law..... make sure it's Murphy's Law.

ADAMINMO

Just my luck fellas........I got up this morning and looked in my live trap and low and behold I had another skunk.He is a real purdy one too!I caught him snoozin and covered the trap with a blanket and picked it up and moved it away from the house,And he never sprayed. I will snap a couple of pics of it and post tomorrow if I can.I'm not much for skunks but this one is a beaut!!! If anyone is interested in it I'll hang on to it for a minute before I haul it off way away from my house.how much are them skunk pelts worth nowadays?? smiley_smelly_skunk

Tom_in_Mo.

If Adam ain't here tomorrow, well you will know what happened, uh? and if that happens I would just as soon he did take the day off.  ;D

ADAMINMO

Thanks Tom_in_Mo. !!!!!!

Robert R

Season is closed, can't sell the pelt legally here in Mo.  In January, they were bringing $5 to $8.  But if it hasn't sprayed, he probably $20 or bit more of essense on board.  Not sure where Ellington is.  How far from KC.
chaplain robert
little farm/BIG GOD

ADAMINMO

It is about 313 miles from KC to Ellington.We are in the southeast part of the state. Thats a pretty good hike for $20.00. Gas price would eat ya alive.I may  take him swimming this evening , or haul him several miles  away and let him go.Havent decided yet.

SwampDonkey

(Big assumption here) :D I can see we have a manicured lawn type amongst us.  ::) ;D

I don't shoot them or bother them as long as they aren't bothering buildings. They eat them grubs your kill'n with spray. ;) Of course my lawn is just an old pasture. ;D

ADAMINMO

Im not someone with a manicured lawn ........... just dont want them under my house sprayin everywhere.Cause they have a mighty bad stink to 'em.I dont mind a skunk at all ......... till they spray under my house then I dont like 'em.They do keep down the mice and snake population , but they also keep me from having visitors and inlaws at the house.
HMMMM .......... maybe they are better of left alone now that I think about it!!!!!!

Jeff

I think Donk is just trying to justify and excuse all the skunks hanging out around his place and maybe even the "cologne debald forester" he may at times exude. ;D

I try to keep my lawn as manicured as possible. I even invite a couple hundred folks over to help aireate it every august, the trouble is I keep forgetting to issue the cauked boots to them when they arrive... :-\ :)
Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

ADAMINMO

My lawn isn't manicured but I do keep it looking somewhat nice.Jeff , i guess that is where they have the pig roast is your place? Tom has told me about it , sounds like a blast .I would like to go to it but I dont think the company will turn me loose.

When i got home , my skunk had already passed on.Apparently the block of rat poison that was in the cage was something he liked.So no pictures this time but I'm sure there will be more of them till I concrete around my house so they cant dig under.

Thank You Sponsors!