iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Don't smell a skunk this year!

Started by ET, November 12, 2013, 03:19:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ET

With last evenings changing weather, I felt the bucks would be moving.  I sprayed a couple of drops of doe estrous on a leaf at 30 yards and sure enough at 4:15 this nice 9 pointer showed up heading right at the scent, stopped broadside and wam; no skunk smell at all.   8)

Ernie
Lucas 1030, Slabber attachment, Husky 550XP, Ford 555B hoe, Blaze King Ultra, Vermeer chipper, 70 acres with 40 acres Woods.

Ken

Excellent.  I noticed he has a very dark face.  Is that the lighting or a regular feature of whitetails in your area?
Lots of toys for working in the bush

Chuck White

He's a beauty Ernie, congratulations!
~Chuck~  Cooks Cat Claw sharpener and single tooth setter.  2018 Chevy Silverado and 2021 Subaru Ascent.
With basic mechanical skills and the ability to read you can maintain a Woodmizer  LT40!

thecfarm

Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

Magicman

Congrats on the buck and also for not getting "skunked" this year.   :)
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

clww

Very NICE! 8)
Tell me about your crossbow, if you will.
Many Stihl Saws-16"-60"
"Go Ask The Other Master Chief"
18-Wheeler Driver

Ron Scott

Yes, very nice buck. Also interested in the crossbow info.
~Ron

JohnM

Lucas 830 w/ slabber; Kubota L3710; Wallenstein logging winch; Split-fire splitter; Stihl 036; Jonsered 2150

drobertson

good one ET!  No skunk is a good skunk,   david
only have a few chain saws I'm not suppose to use, but will at times, one dog Dolly, pretty good dog, just not sure what for yet,  working on getting the gardening back in order, and kinda thinking on maybe a small bbq bizz,  thinking about it,

WmFritz

Ernie, I think your buck is still wearing his Halloween mask.  :D :D :D

Nice kill.
~Bill

2012 Homebuilt Bandmill
1959 Detroit built Ferguson TO35

ET

Ive always been a bowhunter and have taken maybe 30 with a Matthews. Ive always wanted to try a crossbow so i did some research and decided on an American made Parker Tornado F4. Its very quiet and very fast and extremely accurate. I shot the deer through the heart, it went 25 Yds and tipped over.
I noticed his black face as well and no its not a trait im aware of. Its the first one like it. I can tell you that of my 2 trail cameras i never saw this buck before. So it must have travelled from far from my place.
After learning to set some land as a sanctuary from Magicman i set 10 ac and did not step foot on it for 6 months. This buck came from that direction. Thanks MM for that tip. Its only 10 ac and not 200 but i think it worked!  Im very happy.
Lucas 1030, Slabber attachment, Husky 550XP, Ford 555B hoe, Blaze King Ultra, Vermeer chipper, 70 acres with 40 acres Woods.

WmFritz

Its funny you mention the sanctuary , Ernie. Our house sits on 5 wooded acres and for the last couple weeks the backyard seems like a game preserve. We have a half dozen does that are hiding out here. We can watch them milling around the woods practically all day long. My wife likes to watch them but, they drive the dogs crazy.

I don't hunt here. For some goofy reason, I drive 150 miles to the cabin to see less deer.  :D
~Bill

2012 Homebuilt Bandmill
1959 Detroit built Ferguson TO35

Magicman

Quote from: ET on November 12, 2013, 09:43:17 PMThanks MM for that tip. Its only 10 ac and not 200 but i think it worked!
I am glad that it worked for you and you are very welcome.  The area that I have set aside is and always has been a prime bedding area.
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

Al_Smith

That buck is one of the famous Ohio "corn fed " type .Probabley one of the more tasty varieties .

thecfarm

I don't hunt either. But my mill is behind the house with the woods not being too far from there. My step son hunts here.He use to drive past the house and park his truck on the edge of the woods. I kept telling him that the deer hang out right behind the house,park your truck up by the house. He is seeing them now. But have ALOT of pine that is coming up about head high and VERY thick makes it hard to get a good shot. I see more deer on my tractor than walking.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

beenthere

QuoteI see more deer on my tractor than walking.

Riding beats walking...   ;D
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

thecfarm

That's funny beenthere. I just meant that the tractor means food for them. In the winter I cut some of the bog off and there is cedar in there. I cut that down for the deer. Very common for me to haul some wood out of the bog and put it in the wood yard,and come back in 5 minutes and the deer are in the part that I just left. I come back to the bog and they really hate to leave. I get off the tractor and they start to wander off slowly. I try to back up with the cedar to break off some of the branches, That way the bigger ones can't chase the small ones away so easy. On my land there is very little cedar branches that I can reach without a ladder.

Al_Smith

Deer really could care less about equipment such as a tractor or dozer .They might eyeball it a little and just go about their business .

In about 1980 I dug a half acre pond with an old D4 Cat .Took me a while .The deer would just watch me .

They delighted in running my female German shepard dog to exaustion .Great sport for the deer I guess .

chain

A neighbor killed a buck with a black face like that, we use to kill a few red-squirrels with black faces some were stained from cutting green walnuts.

I've had large bucks jump out just in front of our corn header in heavy corn & vines, another time have driven within thirty feet of a buck laying flat under sumac, he just laid low, stayed put.

Thank You Sponsors!