iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

BIRDS

Started by Bro. Noble, December 16, 2004, 10:19:33 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Chuck White

I think the Snow Goose has a much higher pitch voice than the Canada Goose.
~Chuck~  Cooks Cat Claw sharpener and single tooth setter.  2018 Chevy Silverado and 2021 Subaru Ascent.
With basic mechanical skills and the ability to read you can maintain a Woodmizer  LT40!

aigheadish

Snow geese could make sense... They certainly had a goose look to them and they were flying north, where, presumably, it's snowier.
New Holland LB75b, Husqvarna 455 Rancher, Husqvarna GTH52XLS, Hammerhead 250, Honda VTX1300 for now and probably for sale (let me know if you are interested!)

wisconsitom

Snow geese should have black wing tips.  Swans have black beaks and skin around the eyes-quite striking when viewed up close.  I can't make out either of these details in the pic but maybe lean a bit toward snow goose.
Ask me about hybrid larch!

aigheadish

I'll say the black wing tips seems likely, I think I see them on there. This picture was taken on the fly with my phone from probably 600 feet away, maybe more. 

Oh yeah! Taking the kids to school this morning, we were driving by Carillon Park, in Dayton, and I see a guy on the river side of the road with a camera with a lens that was about a foot long. I looked over to the park side and there at the top of a tree was a bald eagle! I wasn't fast enough to take a picture but I've heard about them hanging out over there frequently.
New Holland LB75b, Husqvarna 455 Rancher, Husqvarna GTH52XLS, Hammerhead 250, Honda VTX1300 for now and probably for sale (let me know if you are interested!)

KEC

I can't say for sure, but I think those are swans. Mute Swan, Tundra Swan or Trumpeter are in the East. A lot of things are moving right now. Yesterday I had ~300 Snow Geese go over and I heard at least one Sandhill Crane . A flock of 90 cranes and another of 53 reported yesterday near here. Lots of the arctic population of Canada  Geese are moving through. Winter is not far off.

LeeB

The eagles are here for the winter.
'98 LT40HDD/Lombardini, Case 580L, Cat D4C, JD 3032 tractor, JD 5410 tractor, Husky 346, 372 and 562XP's. Stihl MS180 and MS361, 1998 and 2006 3/4 Ton 5.9 Cummins 4x4's, 1989 Dodge D100 w/ 318, and a 1966 Chevy C60 w/ dump bed.

HemlockKing

Always a nice sighting seeing a eagle. And I'm always amazed how big they are close up. Seen one eating a dead coyotes in the median of the highway not long ago and it was nearly as big as the thing 
A1

Walnut Beast

Awesome picture👍

Hilltop366

Nice pic, I seen one flying over the lake today it was a long ways away so not near as good of a picture.

LeeB

There was a pair of them on the side of the road dining on road kill. One flew into the field and I got a few pics of it in flight but nothing like the pic of the other one. He stayed for a little bit and let us pull right up close to him. I just got lucky and managed to snap a good pick with my phone trough the windshield. He was close enough when he flew past that you could feel the wind from his wings through the open window. 
'98 LT40HDD/Lombardini, Case 580L, Cat D4C, JD 3032 tractor, JD 5410 tractor, Husky 346, 372 and 562XP's. Stihl MS180 and MS361, 1998 and 2006 3/4 Ton 5.9 Cummins 4x4's, 1989 Dodge D100 w/ 318, and a 1966 Chevy C60 w/ dump bed.

Ron Scott

Yes, to a great picture. Great American symbol!
~Ron

woodroe

This might be of interest to some here.
Several rare sightings of a Steller's Sea Eagle on this continent .

Rare Steller's sea eagle spotted in midcoast Maine | newscentermaine.com
Skidding firewood with a kubota L3300.

Hilltop366

There was one spotted in Nova Scotia in November. Perhaps the same one?

woodroe

Good chance it was unless there is more than one.
A bird with an 8' wingspan can cover a lot of ground. 

HemlockKing

Haven't been posting here for awhile but just for fun, I'll list the few birds I have seen lately, chickadees obviously, nut hatches ae still hanging around, the juncos are always near by in some bush, not too many blue jays but they're around, still haven't seen a grey jay again since that time I did last fall.
A1

Roxie

Woodroe, thank you for sharing that link!  Amazing!  
Say when

woodroe

You are welcome Roxie. Pretty cool event really.
Honestly had never heard of a Steller's sea eagle before this.
Even more interesting was how far people were willing to travel to attempt to see it.
Tennessee and Maryland were mentioned.

woodroe

SwampDonkey

I think a female merlin in the white birch. It's color and tale were right when it flew. Thought I was seeing a grouse until it flew.

"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

HemlockKing

Here's Tim, I've named him and he is the only chickadee I can recognize from the crowd. How I can tell is he has a tiny white patch in the rear of his black cap. He is always a first customer when putting out seeds. 
A1

HemlockKing

I have a couple
Grouse living here and that's what thought from The picture SD. 

They end up scaring the crap out of me when I'm walking my trails
A1

SwampDonkey

We've had 3 grouse here that show up every fall or winter the last 4 years, but have not seen them since fall. It being a white birch, that was my first guess until it flew around the back yard and over into a yellow birch. Long narrow tail in flight.

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

SwampDonkey

I see the chickadees, snow buntings, juncos, and pine grosbeaks when walking. The grosbeaks seem to like the spruce cones out on the woodlot. I don't feed them at the house because the darn pigeons invade and leave their deposit everywhere including on the roof. Juncos get gravel out by the front steps, I shovel the snow and ice down bare there so we don't break our necks.

HemlockKing

Quote from: SwampDonkey on January 24, 2022, 05:02:01 PM
I see the chickadees, snow buntings, juncos, and pine grosbeaks when walking. The grosbeaks seem to like the spruce cones out on the woodlot. I don't feed them at the house because the darn pigeons invade and leave their deposit everywhere including on the roof. Juncos get gravel out by the front steps, I shovel the snow and ice down bare there so we don't break our necks.
Juncos are loners(they dont group with other species it seems), I hardly see them but always hear them chatting to each other in bushes just feet away... You dont got no nut hatches there? them and chickadees stick together during winter months
A1

SwampDonkey

Yeah, I see those nut hatches up the road sometimes in the maples, high up.  There are 24" sugar maples there by the road. On mill ground. Could be the odd one in the back yard, but not so much. They never came to the feeder when I tried feeding the birds and not the pigeons.

Get vireos in the summer in the back yard. One last summer musta had a nest close by, sang all day long.

Thank You Sponsors!