iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Looking for info on iron mule 4000

Started by logman81, January 22, 2024, 08:05:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

logman81

Hey all been a long time since I've posted anything but I'm still alive lol. Anyway I'm no longer doing my own logging work full time do to me getting a job working for a local tree company but still do my own logging and stuff on weekends and days off.

I'm looking into possibly working out a deal for what I was told by local facebook group to be an iron mule 4000. I was hoping to hear some info on them so if I go look at it I can be more informed. From the one picture it looks to be in fairly good shape with an updated modern bypass grapple and good forestry tires no chains.
I want it to work my ten acres thinning and cleaning it up in conjunction with my small tractor with three point grapple and do a few small local jobs thinning and cutting out firewood for my firewood sales. Any info would be greatly helpful thanks!
Precision Firewood & Logging

Treker23

I know noting about em was curious. There is thread on YesterdaysTractors.com with some details. Sounds interesting, nice is not classic, parts are available? Good luck

chevytaHOE5674

Early model i believe it's built off a Massey Ferguson tractor.

With all iron mules check the front blade mounts for cracks and repairs. Check the center pins for excessive slop and cracking. Also check the swing rack to make sure it's in decent shape.

Your talking an old machine so it isn't going to be perfect. Parts are scarce but fairly simple to build if needed.

logman81

Ok thanks for the info I appreciate it.

Stephen Alford

Ran one way back when in the ... dark times... needed a second job so took a night shift . This particular one was basicaly a ford 5000 farm tractor engine and tranny .  Fairly new at the time it was nimble and dependable .  Had flotation tires for stability .   Years later saw it hauling some big loads , logs on the bottom and stud on the top .   It was designed for 2 cord . It was a mistake to haul more .  If you could talk to any of the operators they could provide good insight .   One night during a rather large snow storm I put er in an unmarked test pit ... Got er out but took awhile    :(
logon

Firewoodjoe

Basically what the others said. If it's a Perkins it's older. If it's a Ford it's newer. The really early ones I believe 2200 Massey based one was very weak short boom small tires. Would bust axles.  Radiator hung out beyond the frame. Would bust off if it a stump. Then the better massy versions were 4000 4500 with the true manual trans. They build some with the forwarder reverse peddle like a lawn mower. Not very reliable and some with the Ford 8 speed twin stick ???? I think. Not very reliable. Then they went full Ford with the 4501 5001 5500 and 5550. All good if standard trans or Clark power shift. Then the last ones were the 10 series, 5310, 5010, 5510. All good also. If it's a true manual trans you can build fix repair it forever. They will never die. Center pins are usually sloppy it's the way they are designed.

Ron Scott

Search Iron Mule 4000 here on the Forum for some previous information provided on this vintage forwarder which made its first appearance in 1957 after being built by Emil Gafner in Escanaba, MI.

It was one of the most successful pulpwood forwarders ever made during the 1960's with a number still in use yet today in small scale and light on the land timber harvests. Ford parts still keeps many of them operating.

~Ron

47sawdust

There is a very nice Ford Gafner for sale in Tennessee.
$10,500 woods ready.
Mick
1997 WM Lt30 1999 WM twin blade edger Kubota L3750 Tajfun winchGood Health Work is my hobby.

mike_belben

Praise The Lord

Corley5

I had a 5000 Iron Mule. Actually, it was badged as a Massey Ferguson Treevor 5000. It was based on the MF 50 industrial tractor. Mine had the MF power shuttle hydro. Worked pretty nice. It never gave me a reason to not like it. The axle housings are a weak point on the front half. Don't swing heavy loads over them. They will break. Been there, done that. I bought used axle housings and other stuff from Worthington Ag Parts. Just ag tractor parts for much of it. One time I caught the center pins and only had to polish them up and replace the needle bearings. I used to have a Timken box around that I saved just for the number. The other times it required pins as well. Easy for a machine shop to turn. I had Moran Iron Works in Onaway rebuild the rack gears for the boom swing and build a new mast. They have the specs for them in their database. They'll haul 2 cord but the center will last longer if you make more trips. I wish now I still had it as a yard machine.
Burnt Gunpowder is the Smell Of Freedom

Ron Scott

A lot of loggers started out with those machines. Had them working on lot of jobs years back.
~Ron

logman81

I'm sure they are a good machine. Guy recently put new pins and bearings in the machine and the only problem it supposed to have is a minor seal leak in the main boom cylinder. Unfortunately he wants to much in my opinion and more than I want to pay atm.

Thank You Sponsors!