iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Replacing Husky 181

Started by Dunman, October 24, 2010, 06:31:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dunman

Looking to replace my 25 year old 181 that somebody stole, and wondering what the best choice is.  I need to be able to run at least a 32" occasionally, and a 28" most of the time.  I have a bad back, and the weight/balance on the 181 was just right for me.  They don't come up used at all around here, and it was probably time to think about replacement after the last rebuild.  Prefer to start with new, as I sometimes need to cut my way out of my driveway after a big storm, and don't have time to coax a saw along.
Thanks

Rocky_J

Sticking with Husky the comparable size model would be the 390xp. I have a 395xp that wears a 32" bar all the time, the 390 would save you a pound or so in weight.

If you're looking for something lighter and smaller, the next one down the list would be the new 576xp. It could pull the 28" and probably the 32" once in a while.

If you're willing to consider another brand, the Dolmar/Makita 7901 is a light weight 79cc powerhouse equal in quality and durability to the Stihl and Husky pro models. Dealer support is lacking though, so you would probably end up getting most of your service parts via the internet. Bars use the same mount pattern as Husky.

Cut4fun

The 181 weighed about 15lbs PHO. You could look for a used 281xp, basically updated 181. Guys are still finding them in like new condition.
The 390xp is 88cc and 15.7lbs PHO, The Solo 681 81cc and 14.5lbs, Dolmar 7900 79cc and 13.6lbs PHO no clutch cover added for weight though if you read fine print  ;).

If you have good dealer support in your area I think you would be happy with the Solo or the Dolmar.  The Solo does have softer feeling AV though.

Al_Smith

The 181 as well as the 281 were made long enough ago before the EPA got involved in the nonsense of issuing edicts to make slower saws .Those things would flat get with the program .

Since you mentioned both models coincidently one of the tree services I do saw work for had both these models and ironically both saws were stolen--on two different occasions .Fact is on my bench,as I type I have a set of crankcase seals for a 181 that never got installed .More than likely thanks to some crack head thief of whom I wish the worst of luck to .I kind of take it real personal when somebody steals one of my "babies " . >:(

Thank You Sponsors!