iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Juniper lumber

Started by Bill Gaiche, October 16, 2013, 08:40:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bill Gaiche

Has anyone used Juniper lumber to make furniture? Has anyone ever sawed Juniper into lumber. I am speaking about the Juniper that is twisted and crooked that grows in Northern New Mexico. bg

GAB

Bill:
I got three small Juniper logs from a fellow here in VT.  Not knowing what to do with those logs, I sawed them into 5/8" thick boards and air dried it in the basement by the woodstove.  Another fellow bought it from me and made some beautiful jewlery boxes with it.  Note: Try to keep from breathing the sawdust.  I hope this helps you.  Gerald
W-M LT40HDD34, SLR, JD 420, JD 950w/loader and Woods backhoe, V3507 Fransguard winch, Cordwood Saw, 18' flat bed trailer, and other toys.

redprospector

Bill,
The Alligator bark Juniper found in New Mexico makes beautiful furniture. Plan on it being rustic though, Juniper tends to check and split pretty bad. That can be used to your advantage with rustic furniture.
I've milled quite a bit of it for different customers, they generally want it slabbed with 2 wayne edges 2 1/2 or 3" thick.
I try to let my own logs set for as long as I can before milling them. They don't seem to check as bad.

Andy
1996 Timber King B-20 with 14' extension, Morgan Mini Scragg Mill, Fastline Band Scragg Mill (project), 1973 JD 440-b skidder, 2008 Bobcat T-320 with buckets, grapple, auger, Tushogg mulching head, etc., 2006 Fecon FTX-90L with Bull Hog 74SS head, 1994 Vermeer 1250 BC Chipper. A bunch of chainsaws.

Bill Gaiche

Thanks guys. A friend wants a 15 gun, gun case made from some. I have not sawed any into lumber that would finish at 3/4". I have sawed some for deer mounts about 2" thick. It looks to me that getting some quality lumber out it would not be easy. Its so twisted and crooked. I counted the rings on about a 12" and there were over 200 rings. Those are some old trees. Some are larger trees than this. bg

mesquite buckeye

If you can find a big one on private land, your best bet is an alligator juniper. I have seen them 4' thick in the mountains. Occasionally, you can find a oneseed up to 2 or 3 ft thick, but usually highly tapered.

The dust from alligator juniper is highly irritating and can induce asthma in some people (like me). Really pretty, sometimes 20-40 rings per inch.
Manage 80 acre tree farm in central Missouri and Mesquite timber and about a gozillion saguaros in Arizona.

Bill Gaiche

What kind of Juniper grows around Chama, New Mexico? bg

qbilder

I mill it somewhat often. I have only made rustic tables & benches with it, nothing too elaborate. I did use it to make cabinet doors & back on a cedar TV stand I built. Used a Kreg jig to join boards together. There were some fine cracks & such that I filled with ebony wood filler made by 3M, sold at Lowes or Home Depot. Looks really neat. I love opening the cabinet. Smells great! The shotgun shell is a plug covering the countersunk lag bolts holding the top down, one in each corner. 

God bless our troops

Bill Gaiche

qbilder, that is some nice work. Like the shells to cover bolts. Good idea. Thanks for posting. bg

redprospector

qbilder,
That's some nice work!
We're going to have to get together one of these days. No excuse for being this close to each other and not getting acquainted.

Andy
1996 Timber King B-20 with 14' extension, Morgan Mini Scragg Mill, Fastline Band Scragg Mill (project), 1973 JD 440-b skidder, 2008 Bobcat T-320 with buckets, grapple, auger, Tushogg mulching head, etc., 2006 Fecon FTX-90L with Bull Hog 74SS head, 1994 Vermeer 1250 BC Chipper. A bunch of chainsaws.

qbilder

I agree!!! Too close to not know one another. I'm going to be cutting a few mulberry logs this weekend if you want one or two. Beautiful bright yellow lumber & very hard. Clearing it out for a buddy of mine. Come down the hill & grab a log or two, say hello. Would love to meet you. Otherwise, maybe I can buy you lunch sometime at Big Daddy's.   

Oh, and thank yall for the kind comments :)
God bless our troops

mesquite buckeye

I'll be driving through Alamagordo sometime Saturday on the way to MO. ;D
Manage 80 acre tree farm in central Missouri and Mesquite timber and about a gozillion saguaros in Arizona.

qbilder

You'll drive right past me. I'll be on the south edge of town in what used to be a trailer park. We're cutting the dead mulberry trees. If you got a moment, stop & say hello.     
God bless our troops

mesquite buckeye

PM your phone. I'll at least call. Might be good to stretch my legs around then.

Thank You Sponsors!