iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Moultrie's Coming Up

Started by DanG, September 11, 2010, 12:39:15 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

WDH

He would have known that they was Flatheads  ;D.
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

DanG

Just so y'all know, I do NOT skin 'griz.' :D
"I don't feel like an old man.  I feel like a young man who has something wrong with him."  Dick Cavett
"Beat not thy sword into a plowshare, rather beat the sword of thine enemy into a plowshare."

WDH

You might not skin them, but I bet that you can BBQ them  :D.
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

Texas Ranger

The Ranger, home of Texas Forestry

DanG

"I don't feel like an old man.  I feel like a young man who has something wrong with him."  Dick Cavett
"Beat not thy sword into a plowshare, rather beat the sword of thine enemy into a plowshare."

Tom

Here is the infamous Dodge Wheel Y'all have heard so much about.  Not only does it keep your toes warm during a heated lying session, but it makes a fine pot of greens too.

Bd354, busily mixing up the batter for the Jalapeno cornbread

Bd354 and Dang solving the worlds problems.

In the distance you can see the dutch oven on the cooking table (bed of coals) cooking cornbread. The dodge wheel is burning in mid picture and to its left is the "greens" pot. we had an abundance of Mustard and Turnip greens with turnip root added for a bit of sweetening.

"Actually, fishpharmer and me were there all day tuesday and wednesday. Two days of walking is not enough time to see everything, but it is enough time to get tuckered out, so we both headed for home wednesday evening. John Boylan and George W did make it. I was hoping that DanG, Tom and BD345 would come on. Oh well, maybe next year."

We would have enjoyed the visit and were really looking forward to it, but age and infirmities can make you reconsider your goals.  Walking the fairgrounds was definitely out for me and iffy for Dang. One night of sleeping on the ground would have been my limit, but worth the visit. We were too pooped for Tuesday night and sitting in that parking lot alone on Wed. night, didn't sound like it would be much fun.  We just moved the campground to Dang's back yard and was sure pleased when bd354 showed up to treat us to the cornbread.  It was just like being a kid again, camping in the back yard.  :D

DanG

I sure am glad the last of the tire finally burned off of that old wheel!  It made the greens taste funny.

bd354

Next time I'll bring the tire. ;D

john_boylan

It was really good to see woodbowl and fishpharmer at Moultrie and get to exchange phone numbers and such.  Missed seeing everybody else, but there's always next year.

This trip did give me a chance to try out the used tent purchased 2 or 3 years ago from a newspaper ad.  Except for setting up in the dark Tuesday night, all was good and was as promised by the seller.  Can now highly recommend Cabela's Alaknak tent if you need a roomy base camp model.

Did not appear that there were as many mill exhibitors there this year, but that's understandable given the economy.  We did see a couple of impressive pieces of equipment at other exhibits though.  Fecon brought a massive $400K forestry-tired self-propelled chipper/grapple rig that they are promoting as the answer to either utility company needs to establish and maintain right-of-ways or for use in clean up of large projects.  Tom King of Supertrak out of Punta Gorda FL [www.supertrak.com] was there with their biomass mulcher/baler for forestry waste and thinnings, which he says he has been demonstrating to state and federal agencies around the country.  He states you can pull it with a 190hp and up farm tractor and have one-pass cleanup on up to 4-inch material (6-inch in a pinch, but with increased maintenance).  The demo round bale he had sitting on the ground definitely contained limbs around 3 inches in diameter and looked to be of a size that could be handled by common front-loader attachments.   Another potential income stream if you have a biomass user in your area. Show pricing, which I can't recall, seemed reasonable for what he was offering.

We also enjoyed the opportunity to test drive the Honda Big Red.  They put us on some dirt sidehills which--without their urging--we wouldn't otherwise have attempted.  No problem.  They were quiet, and the automatic transmission was nice, but it still doesn't offer much downhill braking assistance.  Guess I'll keep the Gator.

With three days, we had enough time to take the field demonstration ride--a dusty waste of time.  A combination of hurried commercial presentations, very brief (and heavily accented) technical presentations, idle field demos, and un-narrated drive by's of large mystery pieces of operating farm equipment.  Very little of value was learned.

Tickets are up to $10 a day now, the food inside was great, the ice cream was super, and the weather was gorgeous.  Hope to see you all next year.
009L (laid up), 029 (junk), 350, 346xp, 394xp
Shotgun, a Rifle, and a Four-Wheel Drive
Kubota L175, Gravely C-8 (we be busting brush now!)

Thank You Sponsors!