iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Port Orford Cedar

Started by Ianab, August 10, 2003, 07:25:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ianab

I have access to a good supply of Lawson Cypress (Port Orford Cedar is the USA I believe) here, and it's going to be my next project now I've go the mill set up and running right. i.e. I've learnt to drive it.  Intention is to cut some up for panelling in the house and construction timber around a friends farm (the owner of the trees).
Anyone have any experience with this timber and any tricks I should watch for cutting and air-drying this?

Cheers
     Ian

Weekend warrior, Peterson JP test pilot, Dolmar 7900 and Stihl MS310 saws and  the usual collection of power tools :)

Frank_Pender

Coat your log ends before you begin sawing, with something like Anchor-Seal.  Number two, when airdrying place your stickers no more than about 18 or 20 inches apart and make them 1 x 1s in size.  When I say your of the Sun, I mean in a dense stand of trees or such.  Place a lid on the material, such as plywood or metal roofing.  Make sure you have an air space of at least and inch between the lid and the material you are drying.  Figure a year to the inch to dry.  Give yourself at least 8 to 10 inches of trim on you log for the length of lumber you want at finsished length.  This in the event that some of the boards want to check on you, enven after coating and all.  Careful you you width.  I would suggest that you not go over 8" in width as the material may well wwant to cup on you.  If you want thicker material you can well go wider.  I have cut quite a bit for carving Salmon, in dimensions of 4" x 12"  as well as for fireplace mantles.  The bes of luck in your venture.

Frank Pender

Thank You Sponsors!