iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

My new Antique Saws!

Started by Kirk_Allen, April 27, 2005, 04:22:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Kirk_Allen

I came across a couple old saws today and the second I showed an interest in them the owner gave them to me. He said there was something about the way I was admiring them 8) 8)

Not sure what I have, other than they are OLD.  He said the used to run but have been sitting for YEARS.  I pulled the cord on each and they turn over and feel like they have good compresion. 

Any input on what I have would be appreciated.
This unit says "Mono"? or something like that on the side.  I will have to look at it again.  The tag says Tucumsa. 

This one is an old Poulan 47 model.

Chris J

Wow, that is an old Poulan.  My old eyes couldn't quite read the tag on the first saw.  Try Mike Acres site, acresinternet.com, a/k/a chain saw collectors corner (cscc).  If you get some more info post an update; would love to know more about the saws.
Certified Amateur Chainsaw Tinkerer.  If sucess is built on failure, then one day I'll live on the top of Mt. Everest.

Kirk_Allen

Here are a couple of better close ups of the tags.

Kirk_Allen

I cant find ANY info on the Poulan saw.

This what I found on the Mono Saw:

YEAR INTRODUCED:  1966
YEAR DISCONTINUED:   
ENGINE DISPLACEMENT:  4.7 cu. in. (77 cc)
NUMBER OF CYLINDERS:  1
CYLINDER BORE:  2.0 in. (50.8 mm)
PISTON STROKE:  1.5 in. (38 mm)
CYLINDER TYPE:  Aluminum with cast iron sleeve
INTAKE METHOD:  Reed valves
MANUFACTURER ADVERTISED H.P.:  4
WEIGHT :  18 lbs. powerhead only
OPERATOR CONFIGURATION:  One Man operation
HANDLEBAR SYSTEM:  Rigid
CHAIN BRAKE:  none
CLUTCH:  Fairbanks Morse centrifugal
DRIVE TYPE:  Direct
CONSTRUCTION:  Sand cast magnesium
MAGNETO TYPE:  Wico
CARBURETOR:  Tillotson HL series
MAJOR REPAIR KIT:   
MINOR REPAIR KIT:   
AIR FILTER SYSTEM:  Skinner ribbon element
STARTER TYPE:  Tecumseh automatic rewind
OIL PUMP:  Manual
OPERATING RPM:  4,500
IGNITION TIMING:  0.175 in. (4.44 mm) before TDC
BREAKER POINT SETTING:  0.020 in. (0.51 mm)
FLYWHEEL/COIL AIR GAP:  fixed
SPARK PLUG TYPE:  Champion J8J, Autolite A7X, AC M45
SPARK PLUG GAP:  0.030 in. (0.76 mm)
CRANKSHAFT MAIN BEARINGS:  Ball
FUEL TANK CAPACITY:   
FUEL OIL RATIO:  1/2 pint to 1 gallon = 16:1
RECOMMENDED FUEL OCTANE:  Regular
MIX OIL SPECIFICATION:  SAE 30 non-detergent
CHAIN PITCH:  .404 in.
CHAIN TYPE:  Oregon
BAR MOUNT PATTERN:   
SHORTEST GUIDE BAR SUPPLIED:  16 in. (40 cm)
LONGEST GUIDE BAR SUPPLIED:  20 in. (51 cm)
COLOUR SCHEME:   
PAINT CODES:   
ILLUSTRATED PARTS LIST:   
SERVICE MANUAL:   

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
COMMENTS:  used Power Products AH-47 engine type 1418A

This is a link for a picture of the saw.
Picture

redpowerd

all the levers on that poulan make it look a bit like a trumpet.
definetly like that west coast handlebar.
NO FARMERS -- NO FOOD
northern adirondak yankee farmer

Kirk_Allen

Left Button says Stop. MIddle button is like a primer button so I assume its a bar oil button and the right button is choke.

I have searched a bunch and cant find squat on that saw. 

Bro. Noble

Kirk,

That Mono was made before 1966.  Mono made light tractor implements,  lawn mowers,  and some other stuff.  His saw was copied after the Barker saw and about caused my Grandad to commit a felony when they came to his factory wanting to buy parts :D :D  That saw was made in the late 50's and the push button on the pistol grip is the manual  bar oiler.

At one time Grandad thought about manufacturing his own engines because they were having trouble with the main bearings holding up.  Dad is a mechanical engineer and did some of their design work.  Polan engines at that time held up well and they bought a complete new chainsaw so Dad could tear it down to check out their bearings.  They decided it would cost too much to build engines.  By the time Dad got around to putting the Polan back together,  there was some part to the saw misplaced.  I believe it was a modle 'K' and would be about the same age as the one you have.  I think Dad still has it.  Someday when you are down this way we'll look. :)
milking and logging and sawing and milking

Kirk_Allen

Got to love History! 

I found some info on the poulan.  It is a 94 cc saw.  I bet that thing hums when its running!

I hope to rebuild them both and get them back to mint condition and I will put them on display in our office..............................once I get it built :D

Ironwood

I almost bought an antique saw off Ebay several months ago. It was just over the mountain from me. A collector exceeded my interest by several twenty dollar bills. Bummer, I would love to find some of these for fun. Cool picks thanks for sharing Reid
There is no scarcity of opportunity to make a living at what you love to do, there is only scarcity of resolve to make it happen.- Wayne Dyer

SwampDonkey

Hey Kirk,

I wonder how she'd work on a  go kart? ;D

Go Kart Plans ;D ;D ;D
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

jtmccallum

My dad's first chainsaw was an early 60's mono.  It was green and the weight listed is about as I remember it.  It was kinda high maintenance, after we couldn't get parts we finally sold it at a neighbors auction for $20.  We thought we made out pretty good at the time. 
John M.        '97 WM LT40Super Manual 40HP Lombardini,  XP372,   CASE 1210 W/ Loader

sawguy21

18 pounds and 4500 rpm. Oofda :D My interest (could be obsession) in old saws is what brought me to this forum. The old Poulan looks good.
old age and treachery will always overcome youth and enthusiasm

Thank You Sponsors!