iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Mobile Dimension engine SWAP

Started by Chop Shop, May 06, 2021, 05:59:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Chop Shop

Has anyone here seen a Mobile Dimension sawmill with an engine other than the VW contraption that they are MFGer with?

Im looking for engine options to mount on here other than electric.

Thanks

Chop Shop

Also,   does anyone know how to contact John,  sawmill_john

I see he has not been on here in awhile.

beav

Prolly not much help but..
Early flat-four and flat-six air cooled Porsche 356,912, and 911 engines could be bolted to the same tranny as the 4 cylinder air cooled flat 4 vw engine on the mds.
But there must still be millions of those old vw engines in mexico. They built them until the turn of the century , right?

711ac

I was looking at a MD and researching "stuff" and I believe that it basically is a regular VW bug motor, BUT with better bearings for supporting the crank and this was a different casting and possibly a beefier crank. Iirc the main vertical blade is directly mounted to it.
This is all a little fuzzy as I passed on that saw.
Sure would be nice if they worked out their (family I think) issues and started back production with tweaked components that are currently produced. 

nativewolf

It was an industrial engine, not really the same kid so I don't know if the output shafts were the same or not.  Mightymite (basically the MD cousin) used a variety of engines, smaller Perkins would do you I guess (you could call the Mightymite guys and find out what they use).  Basically very similar mills.  

Great mills!  
Liking Walnut

Thank You Sponsors!