iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Stihl 036 repair

Started by dpeterson3, September 25, 2014, 12:29:45 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

dpeterson3

Went out to the shed a few days ago for the school organization I'm part of and found an 036 chainsaw sitting on the shelf. We cut a lot of wood for charity purposes, so I would like to get the thing running again. Anyway, I can get it to start and it will run for a little while. I managed to get it to idle by playing with the idle screw. It wants to die easily. If I try to rev it up, it just bogs and tries to die. I took the air cleaner off to see if that was the problem, and it helped some, but not much. I noticed whenever I try to open the throttle, it would blow gases back through the carb. I read it doesn't have a reed valve, but does have some kind of check valve? Could it have blown that? Spark plug was a bit gassy, but not too bad, so it doesn't seems to getting about the right amount of fuel. Any other thoughts on what I should check? Thanks in advance.

ZeroJunk

Blowing a little cloud of mist out of the carb with the filter off is normal.  Likely the carb needs to be cleaned and rebuilt, high side sounds to be stopped up. Could be fuel line, or impulse line. Both could need to be replaced if original.

Al_Smith

More than likely it's the carb .A rebuild is relatively easy to do and inexpensive .

sablatnic

And check, if the spark arrester is clogged.
I'd do that first, since it can be done without new parts.   ;)

HolmenTree

I'm wondering if the fuel is old and stale? That's how a saw would run with bad fuel.
Making a living with a saw since age 16.

dpeterson3

I was afraid you all were going to say to rebuild the carb. I've done that many times with mowers and motorcycles. I was hoping to get out of doing it (really don't want to take the time, but I will). Spark arrestor is long gone. I put fresher gas in.The stuff in it before was a few years old. I got it to run long enough it should have burned out all the old fuel. I doubt it was the fuel. There's an ms 362 and an old 041AV in the garage that like the same gas. I guess I'll be getting a carb kit tomorrow.

limbwood

Try soaking carb in charcoal lighter fuild overnight it realy cleans them up good.

joe_indi

If the check valve (valve jet) is blown, the saw would run leaner and stall. This sounds like L and/or H screws are turned out more than necessary, a wrongly aligned metering needle or a worn metering needle

dpeterson3

Turns out the carb on it is discontinued. Lucky for me the guy at the dealer here knows his stuff and turns out the seal kit for the newer version of this carb will fit the older one. Anyway, soaked it gas over night (didn't have anything else to soak it in), spayed it good with cleaner this morning, and put it back together. As soon as I remembered to put the gas line on, it started and ran no problem. Revs right up and sounds good. Haven't gotten to load test it yet, but it at least runs now. Suggestions on tuning it without an RPM gauge?

ZeroJunk

Google chainsaw tuning. There are a couple of you tube videos that will give you an idea of the sound you are looking for.

Thank You Sponsors!