iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Delmhorst or Lignomat for remote kiln MC readings?

Started by blackhawk, October 04, 2022, 11:09:19 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

blackhawk

I am just starting the process of building my kiln using the Nyle L53.  It will hold 1000 bf maximum.  I am looking at using 3 to 4 probes (stations) to monitor the lumber MC remotely so that I don't have to open the kiln doors as often.  I have looked at and gotten quotes for both the Delmhorst and Lignomat systems which both use a switch box to monitor the different probes.  The Delmhorst system is 50% more expensive than Lignomat.  All the components individually are comparably priced except for the cables.  Delmhorst wants $450 for just the cables vs $120 from Lignomat, which makes up about 40% of that 50% difference.  I've had a pin type Mini-lignomat meter for over 15 years that has served me well.  I know Delmhorst is the big name, but Lignomat has been around for a long time also.  50% price difference is a big pill to swallow.  Anyone have any direct experience with using the Lignomat remote probes and switch box?

Before I get the cart before the horse, will the in-kiln systems work well in a 1000 bf kiln?  Can they be trusted?  Even if I do add the in-kiln MC monitoring, I plan on oven dry testing when I get started to be sure that the probes are reading accurately.  But, I don't want to throw my money away if it's not worth it from the get-go.  
Lucas 7-23 with slabber. Nyle L53 kiln. Shopbot CNC 48x96

blackhawk

Forgot to mention that the Delmhorst system would use the JX-20 meter and the Lignomat system would use the Lignometer K.

customsawyer

When building your kiln add a entrance door. Makes checking your lumber and such so much easier. It works best if it is from the side behind the lumber. This way if you are checking moisture you are on the back of the pack.
Two LT70s, Nyle L200 kiln, 4 head Pinheiro planer, 30" double surface Cantek planer, Lucas dedicated slabber, Slabmizer, and enough rolling stock and chainsaws to keep it all running.
www.thecustomsawyer.com

YellowHammer

I would say that any resistance pin measurement system manufactured by a name brand would be accurate, especially if you can check its calibration using calibration resistors.  You can even use a 22 megaohm resistor which is equivalent to 12% moisture.

Cost is always a consideration.  Do either have a data recording option?

Being able to check moisture of the wood in the kiln without having to go in and simply walking by is a huge advantage.

What model system are you considering?     
YellowHammerisms:

Take steps to save steps.

If it won't roll, its not a log; it's still a tree.  Sawmills cut logs, not trees.

Kiln drying wood: When the cookies are burned, they're burned, and you can't fix them.

Sawing is fun for the first couple million boards.

Be smarter than the sawdust

longtime lurker

I'd just stick that little man door in the back side, that and a handheld meter is all you need.

Look it's a little low temp DH kiln... it's not running at 180°, it's not pulling out 20k lbs of water a day, there's not a real lot going on in there where a day or so either side of a set point is going to ruin a load of lumber. It takes like 20 seconds more every other day to duck through the door and stick your meter into a piece of wood. And doing that you'll learn things about your kiln that need fixing... wet spots, dry spots, air stalls, things like that. Otherwise how will you learn where in the pile of wood to stick your remote probes?
The quickest way to make a million dollars with a sawmill is to start with two million.

K-Guy

A Delmhorst JX-30 coupled with a Kil-Mo-Trol would work but it is a little pricey.
Nyle Service Dept.
A common mistake people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools.
- D. Adams

blackhawk

Yellowhammer - I attached pictures of the Delmhorst and Lignomat systems that I am considering.  (Delmhorst picture shows a different handheld meter but it would be the same setup.)  I believe both can be setup to record data with the addition of a laptop.  I was not planning to automatically capture data for the time being.

K-Guy

The Delmhorst JX-30 can work with that as well and some features you might like better than the TechCheck Plus
Nyle Service Dept.
A common mistake people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools.
- D. Adams

YellowHammer

I don't record all the data for drying purpose, but more for CYA purposes.  At this point, I take time stamped photos with my iPhone and load them into our database.  When I take the photo, it shows that the wood is indeed at 150° and also 7% moisture.  So it serves two purposes, showing the pack has been at sterilization temperatures as well as the final moisture content.  It would be nice to have a digital record of the drying cycle from start to finish if the file was small enough.  
YellowHammerisms:

Take steps to save steps.

If it won't roll, its not a log; it's still a tree.  Sawmills cut logs, not trees.

Kiln drying wood: When the cookies are burned, they're burned, and you can't fix them.

Sawing is fun for the first couple million boards.

Be smarter than the sawdust

Thank You Sponsors!