iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

I bet I guess at least 1 right

Started by RussMaGuss, July 17, 2020, 10:56:25 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

RussMaGuss

I'm still not very good at this, especially when there's no leaves to help with..

Gonna guess the first one is silver maple. 2nd one, cottonwood, 3rd ash. Ok, how did I do? lol 

I should be picking these up today so I can get better pictures to help with as well. Might not be milling them right away

mike_belben

I think im seeing white oak ash hickory
Praise The Lord

WDH

I agree with the maple but think #2 is ash and #3 is ash or hickory as well.
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

WDH

Maple is diffuse porous, so if #1 is maple then it should have that pore structure.  On the other hand, white oak is ring porous so a close up examination of the end grain will confirm which it might be.

Cottonwood is also diffuse porous while ash is ring porous so the same test can help determine #2. 
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

RussMaGuss

I'll take a couple pictures tomorrow and include the butt of the log. I ended up picking up one of what I'm pretty sure is maple, a small piece of cherry that they had just taken down that day and then the mystery log in #2 which is 26" diamter. They told me it was ash but I'm not 100% convinced 

RussMaGuss

Here's another angle of the 26" log. After looking around google a bit more I am pretty sure it is a pignut hickory. Sadly, a pallet making company came by and swiped the ash :( (at least they took all the pine logs that were stacked high on top of the pile of nicer logs!) I have the day off today so I think I'm going to grab another load of logs to stock up on while I can get them. Looked like they had a lot of American Elm

RussMaGuss

Here is a closer shot of the other log that I'm guessing is maple. Best guess is silver maple but I am still very green at ID'ing 

mike_belben

I think those are good guesses. 
Praise The Lord

WDH

Agree on the maple but I think that the big log on the trailer is ash. 

Ron Scott

I agree. Silver maple and white ash.
~Ron

RussMaGuss

I think I'm inclined to agree with the ash call! Got a bunch of 1x6 out of it today

WDH

petefrom bearswamp

Kubota 8540 tractor, FEL bucket and forks, Farmi winch
Kubota 900 RTV
Polaris 570 Sportsman ATV
3 Huskies 1 gas Echo 1 cordless Echo vintage Homelite super xl12
57 acres of woodland

Thank You Sponsors!