iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

raw logs for sawing

Started by c44u, June 13, 2005, 08:41:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

c44u

just tring to cover more before i buy my mill. Who or how do i find logs to saw when i do not have any customers wanting me to cut their logs. i have been looking on internet for this but have not found anything yet. can someone tell me where to start to look. thanks JIm

Kirk_Allen

Rest assured once you start milling logs will apear ;D

We lived in the suburbs and it was only a matter of days before I had more logs than I knew what to do with.   Neigbors, tree service, developements etc.

Moved to the farm and got the same problem, if you can call it a problem ;D

Part_Timer

I wondered the same thing and found out what kirk said is true.  The farmers are keeping me busy with logs out of the fields and the seem to multiply by themselves :D
Peterson 8" ATS.
The only place success comes before work is in the dictionary.

Tobacco Plug

Quote from: Kirk Allen on June 13, 2005, 08:49:28 PM
Rest assured once you start milling logs will apear ;D

We lived in the suburbs and it was only a matter of days before I had more logs than I knew what to do with.   Neigbors, tree service, developements etc.

Moved to the farm and got the same problem, if you can call it a problem ;D

What do you have to pay the tree service people for logs?
How's everybody doing out in cyberspace?

Kirk_Allen

I have never had to pay them anything.  They have to pay to take them to the dump so giving them away is a much more economical avenue.

Tobacco Plug

Quote from: Kirk Allen on June 13, 2005, 10:47:38 PM
I have never had to pay them anything.  They have to pay to take them to the dump so giving them away is a much more economical avenue.

Wish that was the case here.  Everyone around here takes their wood to the woodyard.
How's everybody doing out in cyberspace?

Ron Wenrich

A lot depends on your location and what you want to cut.  Without logs you have an expensive yard ornament.

Loggers are a good source, but you have to be careful of what they give you.  Some will give you junk that they can't sell at other mills.  That source can be found with your state forestry office.

Some mills have logs that they don't like to saw.  They are either too big or too small or an offbeat species. 

I know that there are very few Mizers in my area.  The custom sawing thing doesn't work too well around here.  Most guys call up a mill and sell the logs or cut it up for firewood.  Changing that mindset can be a challenge.
Never under estimate the power of stupid people in large groups.

MemphisLogger

c44u,

Where in MS are you? I may be able to steer you towards some logs.

Scott in Memphis
Scott Banbury, Urban logger since 2002--Custom Woodworker since 1990. Running a Woodmizer LT-30, a flock of Huskies and a herd of Toy 4x4s Midtown Logging and Lumber Company at www.scottbanbury.com

c44u

pelahatchie, ms . lol it is 20 east of jackson, right off i-2o

Chris Burchfield

I'm going to pick up my mill at WM in Mo. be there July 20th.  8) I contacted a local Urban Forester working for a city outside Memphis. She directed me to an 85 year old man who has 130 Loblolly Pines, and others he want's removed from his property. :o I will be the feller, logger, sawyer and tailsman and tired by the time the whole job is done.  ;) Going tommorrow to shoot the timber he want's removed. I'll do the tally to see just what I should wind up with. There is also cypress, oak, pecan he want's out. Hello, Scott? Ever been to Germantown?  :D
Woodmizer LT40SH W/Command Control; 51HP Cat, Memphis TN.

woodman

Up here  in mass. I never buy logs.
Jim Cripanuk

sigidi

Personally I've found it tough gettin logs, mind you I'm the other sideof the world.

I did get my first bunch from a developer, who I paid $10 percubic metre for or 0.024 cents a bft of log and then had to pay haulage back to my place. Couple of other logs where jsut 'deliverd' by the crane truck boys who knew I'd like 'em.

I've now taken an add out for logs/tree's wanted hafve had a bit of success withthat but some are a fair ways away.

Best thing I can say is get in touch with bobcat/excavator fella's, tree droppers, builders, developers, chipping/mulching mobs as they all get to the land before you can even look at the tree's. Let them know what you are doin, build a rapport and they will send you logs or at very least ring you when they see 'em down.
Always willing to help - Allan

Thank You Sponsors!