iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Clavos installation?

Started by Brad_bb, April 08, 2020, 11:55:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Brad_bb

I have these clavos from Van Dyke's hardware.  Trying to figure out the proper way to install them. 

I'm thinking that I need to drill a hole that is a little undersize the square portion near the head (4 ribs forming a somewhat square pattern).  Then add some type of adhesive to the hole and then pound the square portion into the hole so that those ribs bite into the wood.  

Would this be correct?  I saw one guy on youtube drill a holes so the ribbed portion freely inserted into the hole and there was adhesive in the hole.

Thoughts?  Thanks. 
Anything someone can design, I can sure figure out how to fix!
If I say it\\\\\\\'s going to take so long, multiply that by at least 3!

Dan_Shade

Woodmizer LT40HDG25 / Stihl 066 alaskan
lots of dull bands and chains

There's a fine line between turning firewood into beautiful things and beautiful things into firewood.

Weekend_Sawyer

I looked it up.
Decorative nails like you would use for decorating a door.
Usually with a big head.

I have no idea about mounting them but I bet your method would work fine.
Are you making a door?

I learned something here today.
Jon
Imagine, Me a Tree Farmer.
Jon, Appalachian American Wannabe.

Brad_bb

No, they're for a mirror frame I made from barnwood.  You can see the frame in the pics.  It's very weathered walnut.  I didn't know it was walnut until I planed the back side of the boards flat.    Pretty cool stuff.  I'll post a pic when it's done.

alan gage

For that application I'd just pre-drill a hole that gave a fairly snug fit when tapping into place. Don't see any reason for adhesive unless I'm missing something.

Alan
Timberking B-16, a few chainsaws from small to large, and a Bobcat 873 Skidloader.

tule peak timber

persistence personified - never let up , never let down

curved-wood

Quote from: Dan_Shade on April 09, 2020, 05:52:21 AM
What is a clavos?
I dont know if it applies but clavos is the spanish word for nails

tule peak timber

These doors have about 100 clavos per door.

Old Greenhorn

Been meaning to catch up with this thread. I always thought a clavos was like a cubit. :D Shows you just how little I know. I too learned something here. Thanks all.
Tom Lindtveit, Woodsman Forest Products
Oscar 328 Band Mill, Husky 350, 450, 562, & 372 (Clone), Mule 3010, and too many hand tools. :) Retired and trying to make a living to stay that way. NYLT Certified.
OK, maybe I'm the woodcutter now.
I work with wood, There is a rumor I might be a woodworker.

RichTired

Googled info - Clavos are basically used to decorate doors, gates, cabinets and other wooden items.

I also learned something today!  I thought they were long hand forged nails or bolts that held large doors together. 
Wood-Mizer LT15GO, Kubota L2800, Husqvarna 268 & Stihl 241 C-M chainsaws, Logrite cant hook, Ford F-150 Fx4

Richard

tule peak timber

We use so many clavos that I picked up a distributorship some years back from a company that does metal manufacturing in Mexico. Many times we make them here from wood for something different. ;D

Brad_bb

I tried the first one dry as Tule suggested And it worked out just fine. I made the top splined part a pressfit.

I love this weathered walnut Barnwood. The wind has eroded the soft grain.  These sconces will go on either side.  The holes you see in the mirror frame are for the wiring.

tule peak timber

Brad, another tip is to set the clavos into little chiseled out pockets (sub-set) maybe 1/16 of an inch deep , smooth your edges and glaze with a little dark stain to make them look old and dirty. Rob

Brad_bb

Quote from: tule peak timber on April 16, 2020, 06:04:32 PM
Brad, another tip is to set the clavos into little chiseled out pockets (sub-set) maybe 1/16 of an inch deep , smooth your edges and glaze with a little dark stain to make them look old and dirty. Rob
Now you tell me!  say_what ;D

tule peak timber

Brad ,,,your hewn distressed beams are top notch. Add the subset, glazed technique to your clavo pockets and beam straps,,,,,, and start raising your prices ;D

Brad_bb

If I raise my prices, then I'm just paying more.  My only customer is me. ;D

Thank You Sponsors!