iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Radio Controlled 12 Volt Winch

Started by jerry-m, November 14, 2007, 08:43:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jerry-m

Just saw this in Harbour Freight Clearance ad...

Now I know some of you don't like or buy from HF, But for us part timer cheap'o trying to get by on fixed income that get less each few months, well I buy some things that I would have to do without if I went elsewhere... I have returned several items as junk and told them so... (enough of a disclaimer?)...

3000 lb Radio Controlled 12V Portable Winch, Item no. 95912-2VGA... Reg. price $169.99/clearance $69.99

Anyone using this? I was thinking it would be good for some smaller leaners as it would free  you up to be able to make the finish cut and keep tension on the tree as well as other applications... Atho a bit small you could use a double line maybe...
Jerry

rebocardo

I have been thinking about one myself, but, I already had experience on a cheaper winch and turned it in for a Warn 1700. This made in China stuff isn't much good probably.

Sportsmans Guide has had a selection of "DECO" radio winches and they do temp me somewhat until I recount my previous experience with a "made in China" winch where the gearshaft broke.

Over the past couple of days I have been more inclined to lean towards the viewpoint that it doesn't matter how cheap it is, if the money is wasted.

Wallys World

Well, I went down to Harbor Freight and bought one. That is the danger of living in a city with a HF store in it. At least i could look at it before I bought it. It has 1.1 hp motor and 153:1 gears in it. I played with it today just to see it work and time will tell. I am fabbing up a mount for it to go on my arch and we will see what it can do. The remote control can go quite a distance away, more than ever would be used. I'll try to get it mounted this weekend and when I go into our woods, I'll take the camera with me to get some shots using it. It has to be better than a hand crank, doesn't it?
Wood-Mizer LT28G25, Wood-Mizer EG10 Edger, Wallenstein Timber Talon log loader trailer, Wallenstein GX640 wood splitter, Wallenstein WP835 Fire Wood Processor, Kubota BX 22 TLB, JD 445, JD Gator, Home made arch, Stihl 024 Super, MS251, MS311, MS440 Magnum & MS660.

jerry-m

Hey Wally,

I also bought one but haven't even taken it out of the box... Just getting over some surgery so have to take it easy for awhile... Report sounds good so far...

Will look forward to your report on how it works in the woods...

A big thanks for your report,   Jerry
Jerry

rebocardo

> It has to be better than a hand crank, doesn't it?

Better then a come-a-long too  :)

I mounted a cheap 6k/2k winch in my (former) truck bed, it saved me a bunch of pulling by hand.

RaisedByWolves

Quote from: rebocardo on November 22, 2007, 04:09:58 AM
Warn 1700.

I have the same winch on my tractor, great lil unit and I got it for $99 on sale from Northern.

Wallys World

Well I got it all hooked up and working. I took pictures, but soon as I figure out how to compress them I'll post them. It seems to work good, I only tried it on a maple firewood log. I had a good amount of power and the remote worked great. I even pulled some grape vines out of a tree with it so my wife could make a grape vine wreath from them.
Wood-Mizer LT28G25, Wood-Mizer EG10 Edger, Wallenstein Timber Talon log loader trailer, Wallenstein GX640 wood splitter, Wallenstein WP835 Fire Wood Processor, Kubota BX 22 TLB, JD 445, JD Gator, Home made arch, Stihl 024 Super, MS251, MS311, MS440 Magnum & MS660.

jerry-m

Thanks for  the report Wally... i did take mine out of the box and tested the remote from a good distance... Seems to work great as you stated previously..

I have been doing some honey do's lately and hope to give it a work out, sooner or later :D :D :D

Jerry

Jerry

Wallys World

I finally got the photos in my gallery but still haven't figured how to get them here!

Wallys World

Wallys World

Pulling the log out

What was hooked on

Almost there!
Ready to let the cable down

Wallys World

On the road! Well I finally figured out how to post a picture!!! 8) I am at work (since I have one of those wacky shift jobs, 6P-6A, 7 days then a week off) and if nothing broke down I can do what ever. The PC I am using was giving me the problems, once I figured that out!!!!

logwalker

Well pat yourself on the back, you're doing a bang up job on those pictures.
Let's all be careful out there tomorrow. Lt40hd, 22' Kenworth Flatbed rollback dump, MM45B Mitsubishi trackhoe, Clark5000lb Forklift, Kubota L2850 tractor

rebocardo

A Gator, log arch, and winch. What more could you want :-D   Thank you for the pictures.

Thank You Sponsors!