iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

BIRDS

Started by Bro. Noble, December 16, 2004, 10:19:33 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

SwampDonkey

Up here in the land of tax and regulation, we can't hunt with falcon's yet we can with dogs. I see no logic. :-\
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

Chuck White

Seen a few Tree Swallows here!

They always compete with the Bluebirds for the birdhouses.
~Chuck~  Cooks Cat Claw sharpener and single tooth setter.  2018 Chevy Silverado and 2021 Subaru Ascent.
With basic mechanical skills and the ability to read you can maintain a Woodmizer  LT40!

Mooseherder

Mooseherder

WDH

There is a lot going on in that pond. 
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

Mooseherder

The Otters have been back everyday.   I think their activity is drawing in the birds. :)

SwampDonkey

Some birds just gravitate to ponds by their nature, as do otters, beaver and alligators....and leeches. :)

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

Mooseherder

SwampDonkey

Edging your walk way for you. :D

woodroe

Had an interesting encounter with a Palm Warbler yesterday.
Was by the firewood pile edge of field and saw it in a young tree nearby.
Gave it a couple whistles and he came over and landed on the woodpile 10' away.
Pretty little fellah with his bright yellow belly and curious too. He must have sat there for a good minute checking me and my whistles out . Second sighting of one in a week.

Palm Warbler Overview, All About Birds, Cornell Lab of Ornithology 
Skidding firewood with a kubota L3300.

SwampDonkey

Bluebird has been on eggs this week. Probably 5 eggs.

woodroe

1st batch of tree swallows fledged 2 days ago, 3 batches to go.
A house wren took over the empty box yesterday and was house 
cleaning.
Spent an hour tossing the feathers and other non desirable 
materials out. 
The whacko bluebird we had moved on after I took all the houses down
for a spell.  8) When I put the houses back up the tree swallows were waiting
and watching me. I got 20' away and they were on them and in them.
Skidding firewood with a kubota L3300.

SwampDonkey

Wow that is early for swallows. They have only been nest building here. Last 2 years they died from cold. Adult dead in the nest.

WV Sawmiller

I checked my bluebird box yesterday and confirmed all 4 hatchlings have graduated and left the next. I removed the nest so they can build another as I understand they do no tlike to use the same one although they did before. I need to knock down several nests on the eaves and boathouse where the young should already be gone.
Howard Green
WM LT35HDG25(2015) , 2011 4WD F150 Ford Lariat PU, Kawasaki 650 ATV, Stihl 440 Chainsaw, homemade logging arch (w/custom built rear log dolly), JD 750 w/4' wide Bushhog brand FEL

Dad always said "You can shear a sheep a bunch of times but you can only skin him once

Mooseherder

There was an Eastern Phoebe nest under the porch eave when I got to camp.  I think this is the 4th year they do this.  The hummingbirds were buzzing me wanting the feeders I hadn't put out yet.  I got to the store and got some along with another feeder a couple of days later.  We had 3 right away but this morning there was at least a dozen of them just going nuts.  We had to cover a fire extinguisher inside because they kept banging into the window.  If they don't sort it out we may have to move the feeders away from the camp.  The Eastern Phoebe isn't happy.

WV Sawmiller

I walked to the mailbox a little while ago and a family of Carolina wrens had just left the nest and were fluttering around making little flights of 10-15 feet. The young were distinctive with their shorter tails. I love to see them when they first learn to fly like that.

I watched a pair of eastern bluebirds lighting on the fence and posts of the back pasture fence then to the front yards catching grasshoppers and such. They raised 4 in a box in the front yard a few weeks ago and I removed the old nest in hopes they will build another and repeat. 

A big old Yellowhammer (Great Northern Flicker) lit by the creek and hopped around in the yard and my wife saw a shadow pass then walked over and scared a big crow off the porch where he was stealing Sampson's dog food from the dish there. 
Howard Green
WM LT35HDG25(2015) , 2011 4WD F150 Ford Lariat PU, Kawasaki 650 ATV, Stihl 440 Chainsaw, homemade logging arch (w/custom built rear log dolly), JD 750 w/4' wide Bushhog brand FEL

Dad always said "You can shear a sheep a bunch of times but you can only skin him once

doctorb

For those of you that haven't tried to add a little technology to your birding, I highly recommend the Merlin BirdID app from Cornell.  It's free.

It's absolutely amazing.  It helps you ID birds by color, location, behavior and size.  Very helpful, especially when traveling away from your home area.  But what is even more incredible is it's ability to ID birds by birds calls. The Sound ID feature has you hold up your phone, push a button, and just let the birds sing.  It's so sensitive it picks up calls you would describe as too faint to make out.  You certainly don't have to be right next to the bird to get an identification.  Really cool app.
My father once said, "This is my son who wanted to grow up and become a doctor.  So far, he's only become a doctor."

beenthere

Thank you for that heads-up. 

Will give it a go. 
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

Jeff

I'll miss ya @SwampDonkey , Im downloading the app!

Bill just identified what I call my Beeper birds as white throated sparrows. I hate to trade him in, but the app fits in my phone
Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

Hilltop366

Does the app require data/internet to operate once down loaded?

I don't have data and there is no cell service where I canoe.

doc henderson

the tree and plant ID apps do require internet, so one could assume. 
Timber king 2000, 277c track loader, PJ 32 foot gooseneck, 1976 F700 state dump truck, JD 850 tractor.  2007 Chevy 3500HD dually, home built log splitter 18 horse 28 gpm with 5 inch cylinder and 32 inch split range with conveyor powered by a 12 volt tarp motor

beenthere

App works great. 
And I identified the phoebe that was sitting on the blue bird house this morning.. couldn't without the app and the phoebe's are not a usual bird around the house. 
Thanks for that tip. 
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

SwampDonkey

Pheobe's have been nesting around the house here for the last two or three years. Which is very odd, I usually only hear or see them in deep woods. In the fall when the house flies are looking for a place to winter, and are around the siding and doors, the pheobe's are bad for leaving doodoo on the hand rails when resting after picking flies. :D

Is the app by Cornell? I always go there for the bird songs.

doctorb

Yes, the app is from Cornell. 

I don't know the answer regarding internet service while using the app
My father once said, "This is my son who wanted to grow up and become a doctor.  So far, he's only become a doctor."

doctorb

Swamp-

Down in my neck of the woods, Phoebes are known for nesting under structures.  Eaves of houses, rafters of open sheds.  I had one nest every year under a wooden dock at my pond.  Had about 1.5 feet of clearance between the water and the dock.  

Thank You Sponsors!