iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

First paying job

Started by Woodsrover, May 25, 2012, 06:55:37 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Woodsrover

I halved a bunch of small (around 12") red cedar straight down the middle for a woman that wants to make raised flower beds with them.  She wanted them simply cut as close as I could get right down the center.  Pretty easy job that took me less than an hour.  Pretty color...I should have taken photos.  Charged her $150 and her caretaker (a buddy of mine) brought them to me and picked them up.  Not bad for an hour's work.

This same friend takes care of a few hundred acres of woods, hay fields and pasture and raises beef on the side.  I've got 1200bf of 6/4x6" oak cattle fencing to cut for him out of his logs next week.  We'll trade beef and deer hunting privileges for that though!

Magicman

As long as you are leaving happy customers, you are doing good.   smiley_thumbsup
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

dboyt

Sounds like a great start!  Money is good, but I do a lot of bartering, too.  What mill do you run?  Be careful, and have fun.
Norwood MX34 Pro portable sawmill, 8N Ford, Lewis Winch

fishpharmer

Congratulations, sounds like a good start.
Built my own band mill with the help of Forestry Forum. 
Lucas 618 with 50" slabber
WoodmizerLT-40 Super Hydraulic
Deere 5065E mfwd w/553 loader

The reason a lot of people do not recognize opportunity is because it usually goes around wearing overalls looking like hard work. --Tom A. Edison

Woodsrover

Quote from: dboyt on May 25, 2012, 08:10:05 AM
Sounds like a great start!  Money is good, but I do a lot of bartering, too.  What mill do you run?  Be careful, and have fun.

I have a Norwood ML26.  I've cut 4000+ of white pine for myself so far and a few hundred feet of oak.  Having fun with it for sure.

thecfarm

Hope you can always keep it that way,fun.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

Thank You Sponsors!