iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

look what I picked up

Started by Nailhead, January 04, 2006, 09:20:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Nailhead

I have been looking for small loader for a long time, but it sure hard to find one in good shape. This one seems to be in real good condition. I am hoping to pull it with a 350 case dozer. My dozer has power beyond hydraulics.
Any one have experence with a set up like that. Will the dozer handle it ok?
Oh
yea, Pasbuild is already trying to talk me out of it.
"The Constitution does not grant rights, it recognizes them."

jon12345

A.A.S. in Forest Technology.....Ironworker

Jeff

Hey that looks like fun!   One of my favorite machines to run is a knuckleboom. I used to be pretty good at it between running a slasher and the total tree chipper and various log trucks, however my experience goed back to the old style valve body blocks with multiple levers, and perhaps a foot swing.  I never got a chance to run any of the more modern wobble stick controled loaders.
Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

jon12345

They are fun to operate, once ya get used to the ride it gives ya or are good enough to not go for a ride every time ya rotate the thing.  Unfortunately I haven't spent much time in one, just at college for a few hours.  We'd all choose our jobs and I jumped up in the loader...day 1 was good, the person bucking was doin a good job.  Day 2 the person bucking couldn't keep up with the skidderS so I had to switch with her, I almost caught up....almost.   :D

What length logs do ya think u can haul on that baby?
A.A.S. in Forest Technology.....Ironworker

pasbuild

SSOOOO ya pick up on that ;D
Are ya going to show the folks here your OTHER acquisition ?????
If it can't be nailed or glued then screw it

isawlogs

That is a nice loader . How long of a reach does it have .  ???  How much will it lift .  ???
A man does not always grow wise as he grows old , but he always grows old as he grows wise .

Marcel

Nailhead

CAB, I wish!!!!
Going to have to wear my longjons. All though my new dozer has a cab, the 350 does not. I'll try to post a picture of it, but I think I lucked out on this picture.
I think I could haul 10' no problem, but 8' is best. Should be able to reach apx. 12' from side and am thinking I could pick 1200# with outriggers down.

Say Jeff, not to get off of subject, I talked to a gug that has a drag saw, belt drive to a hit and miss engine. Don't know if all parts are there or what make it is. What would a starting point on what it is worth be?

Minnesota_boy

Eight to 10' would be best on that shortwood skidder, but I'll bet you could haul a few 16' logs if you load them butt end forward and stack a few 8 footers on top.  They can work pretty well for moving stacks of logs, not so good at picking up singles as you have to get off the crawler each stop.  I'll bet that a winch hooked to a cable choker or a set of skidding tongs would bring in those smaller logs that you can't quite reach.
I eat a high-fiber diet.  Lots of sawdust!

Jeff

QuoteSay Jeff, not to get off of subject, I talked to a gug that has a drag saw, belt drive to a hit and miss engine. Don't know if all parts are there or what make it is. What would a starting point on what it is worth be?

That could be quite a range, sounds like it might be one of the old wood framed drag saws. Can you find out more then I can tell you more. Hit and miss engines can vary big time in price as well depending on the make and weather it is a complete or running engine.  See what you can find out cause if you aint interested you gotta know I would be. :D

Nailhead

I think your right Minnesota boy, 8's would be best, but a pair of tongs would be handy. I'm not looking for production, just something that gives the back a rest.

Say Jeff, I won't know anything else about the drag saw for a couple of weeks, will keep you posted.
I must have lucked out on the first picture, am having trouble posting another. I'll keep trying.

Nailhead

here's the new one with the cab

I'll post this and see if the photo comes thru.

Nailhead

Jeff

Yep, it is. You got the hard part done. Now, simply go to your gallery and click on the thumbnail of the photo you want to use to bring up the large  version. now, simply click on the small text beneath the big photo that says:

"Click to copy photo insertion code"

you will see the line highlight.

Now, come back to your post, click where you want the photo, right click and paste, to put the code in that will make the photo appear.

For this picture you are working on the code will look like this:

[img]https://forestryforum.com/gallery/albums/userpics/12376/new%20toyII.jpg [/img]

Tim

I had a Hardy 1700 log loader on a 5200 forwarding wagon. The loader was light as far as loaders go, not unlike yours nailhead. Anyway, that loader ran off the tactor wet lines that pushed 8GPM. I didn't think that 8GPM at 2000 psi, but it did...
When we were cutting poplar, particularily in the winter when the dirt wasn't as much of an issue, we'd push up the tree length material like you would with a skidder. When the landing was pluged, we'd go buck it up. The material we were in was 12-16 inches DBH and 40 -50 feet in length. If you were carefull and handled the material right with the loader, you could jack material from the back of the pile towards the front, then you were able to pull it in as you bucked it up.
On the yard, I would use the loader to sort and grade pile material. I would also use the loader to unload transport loads of loags when necessary. Bear in mind that I mostly cut cedar lumber. Unoading a 52 foot trailer with 5  rows of 8' material would take about 1/2 an hour.
The wagon was soild, tandem axle, like yours nailhead, although it a walking beam. It had a 4 cord capacity. It was longer than this one in the picture. During the summer months, on the long skids, I could take it right into the bush. I'd cut a turn around at the end of the trail and pick up material on the way back out. When we'd cut in this manner, we'd buck material at double length. ie. 8 foot pulp would come out 16 feet or a pulp log and a sawlog would be left together. The final buck would take place on the landing, then sorted. As there was no coward board on the back of the machine, I'd haul out as long of material that was reasonable on it.
That trailer even has had a tandem load of cedar sawlogs piled crossways on it while forwarding in my yard.
A friend of mine here bought the same set up for around his mill. The difference in what he could do with his in comparison to what I was doing with mine, was that his tractor at the time was consdierably smaller. The extra weight of the tractor allowed me to handle larger loads on the trailer.
You have a good machine there nailhead. Your case should handle it quite nicely. If the hydraulics can't handle the loader, you might be able to install a PTO pump on the dozer for the log loader.
Eastern White Cedar Shingles

Nailhead

Hi Tim

Sounds like you have quite alot of experence with a outfit like I picked up. My 350 Case has, I believe a 18-20 GPM
pump. This should , I think, run this no proplem. Hope to hook it up in a week or so.

stumpy

Nailhead,
I came across a loader/trailer like this. How is yours working for ya? This guy is asking $3750. Does that sound like a reasonable price?
Woodmizer LT30, NHL785 skidsteer, IH 444 tractor

Nailhead

Stumpy
I haven't hooked  it to my dozer yet, so don't know for sure, but I think it will we just what I'm looking for.
As far as price, I gave 3,000.00 for it because it was in real good condition as far as I could tell. I looked at quite a few units, some home made  and had patch on patch on them and bad hyd. cylinders and such and they all started at 3,500.00 and went up from there. I guess you get what you pay for.
Had surgery  on my hand 2 weeks ago, so I hope in another 2-3 weeks I'll be able to try it out.
Bad hydrulic cylinders don't bother me because repairing them is what I do. Well, part of what I do.
NH

Thank You Sponsors!