iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Offbearers and output question

Started by landscraper, May 11, 2014, 05:12:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ianab

Agreed. Running the mill at 100% isn't over stressing anything. It's just keeping the blade in the wood for as much of the day as possible. Nothing is being pushed past it's design loads or anything.

But yes, back in the real world, you have to stop and move the boards, slabs and sawdust you have created. Fetch more logs. Service the mill and other machinery. Deal with less than perfect logs. If the mill is idling or off, it's not producing, and realistically that might be 50% of the time?

There is just so many different scenarios, and the mill is only part of the operation. Look at the figures that they get in the Sawmill Shootout. The MILL can do those numbers, but a normal milling operation never will.

It's generally not the mill that's holding up production, it's the meatsacks that can't keep it fed  ;) ;D
Weekend warrior, Peterson JP test pilot, Dolmar 7900 and Stihl MS310 saws and  the usual collection of power tools :)

drobertson

Quote from: Ianab on May 14, 2014, 07:26:22 PM
Agreed. Running the mill at 100% isn't over stressing anything. It's just keeping the blade in the wood for as much of the day as possible. Nothing is being pushed past it's design loads or anything.

But yes, back in the real world, you have to stop and move the boards, slabs and sawdust you have created. Fetch more logs. Service the mill and other machinery. Deal with less than perfect logs. If the mill is idling or off, it's not producing, and realistically that might be 50% of the time?

There is just so many different scenarios, and the mill is only part of the operation. Look at the figures that they get in the Sawmill Shootout. The MILL can do those numbers, but a normal milling operation never will.

It's generally not the mill that's holding up production, it's the meatsacks that can't keep it fed  ;) ;D
[/quote
Well said, feed and dishes cleaned too! ;D
only have a few chain saws I'm not suppose to use, but will at times, one dog Dolly, pretty good dog, just not sure what for yet,  working on getting the gardening back in order, and kinda thinking on maybe a small bbq bizz,  thinking about it,

Magicman

I went back and reviewed the production numbers on the Goodwill Roadtrip/Sawing Project.  We did not set any records, but we did produce 6125 bf in two days and a total of 8965 bf total which was an average of ~250-275 bf per hour, and this was with good help and an edger.  The point being, don't get hung up on bf per hour and trying to crack some magic number. 
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

Dave Shepard

As has been said, conditions vary. When I'm cutting 30' or 40' timbers, I can cut 800 or 900 feet an hour by myself. I've got some 5' long ( ::) :-\ :-X ::) >:( ) larch to saw soon. If I hit 100 feet an hour I'll be amazed.
Wood-Mizer LT40HDD51-WR Wireless, Kubota L48, Honda Rincon 650, TJ208 G-S, and a 60"LogRite!

drobertson

It really should just be said that a hobby/production mill can obtain near 1000 bdft/hr,  for a given hour or two, but the average for a day will drop some bit.  sometimes quite a bit.  Figuring an 8 hr day.   In all reality, 6000 ft a day for an LT-70 is a good day, real good day, 3000 ft for a 40 super another real good day, this is just my opinion of course, and should be taken with a grain of salt.
only have a few chain saws I'm not suppose to use, but will at times, one dog Dolly, pretty good dog, just not sure what for yet,  working on getting the gardening back in order, and kinda thinking on maybe a small bbq bizz,  thinking about it,

customsawyer

The setup has as much to do with it as the mill and the people. At my mill where I do lots of long stuff I average around 1400 bf/hr each week for a 40 hour week. At the mill at my house, if I get 5000 bf in a 8-9 hour day I am happy. This is the main reason that I charge more at my house than I do at the other mill. I have very similar mills, edgers and hired help is the same. The main difference is the logs and the length. The point I am trying to make is that the logs have almost as much to do with production as everything else.
Two LT70s, Nyle L200 kiln, 4 head Pinheiro planer, 30" double surface Cantek planer, Lucas dedicated slabber, Slabmizer, and enough rolling stock and chainsaws to keep it all running.
www.thecustomsawyer.com

Peter Drouin

Quote from: customsawyer on May 14, 2014, 08:00:59 PM
The setup has as much to do with it as the mill and the people. At my mill where I do lots of long stuff I average around 1400 bf/hr each week for a 40 hour week. At the mill at my house, if I get 5000 bf in a 8-9 hour day I am happy. This is the main reason that I charge more at my house than I do at the other mill. I have very similar mills, edgers and hired help is the same. The main difference is the logs and the length. The point I am trying to make is that the logs have almost as much to do with production as everything else.

Quote from: drobertson on May 14, 2014, 07:49:42 PM
It really should just be said that a hobby/production mill can obtain near 1000 bdft/hr,  for a given hour or two, but the average for a day will drop some bit.  sometimes quite a bit.  Figuring an 8 hr day.   In all reality, 6000 ft a day for an LT-70 is a good day, real good day, 3000 ft for a 40 super another real good day, this is just my opinion of course, and should be taken with a grain of salt.

Quote from: Magicman on May 14, 2014, 07:37:25 PM
I went back and reviewed the production numbers on the Goodwill Roadtrip/Sawing Project.  We did not set any records, but we did produce 6125 bf in two days and a total of 8965 bf total which was an average of ~250-275 bf per hour, and this was with good help and an edger.  The point being, don't get hung up on bf per hour and trying to crack some magic number. 

Quote from: Ianab on May 14, 2014, 07:26:22 PM

You all keep practicing and you will get it. :D ;D
A&P saw Mill LLC.
45' of Wood Mizer, cutting since 1987.
License NH softwood grader.

GDinMaine

Reminds me of the story when the driver goes down the wrong ramp on the highway. 

Shortly after a voice comes on the radio saying: "Caution! There is a crazy idiot driving the wrong way."
The driver says: "Just one? They are all going the wrong way!"
It's the going that counts not the distance!

WM LT-40HD-D42

Peter Drouin

Quote from: GDinMaine on May 16, 2014, 07:19:58 AM
Reminds me of the story when the driver goes down the wrong ramp on the highway. 

Shortly after a voice comes on the radio saying: "Caution! There is a crazy idiot driving the wrong way."
The driver says: "Just one? They are all going the wrong way!"

Thanks  ::)
A&P saw Mill LLC.
45' of Wood Mizer, cutting since 1987.
License NH softwood grader.

Thank You Sponsors!