iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

oil in muffler

Started by stoneeaglefarm, January 25, 2013, 11:59:45 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

stoneeaglefarm

Ok I went to work this morning, A better understanding of the blue smoke, Feeling better anout machine, It started up with a new fuel filter chnge, Its 0 today. I am doing a walk around on machine and noticed oil coming from were turbo meets muffler, Can not find anyone who has a idea agout this, Am going to change oil  and see what happenes, Its a 440c John Deere skidder with turbo, Been pulling wood with it all week and appeared to be fine till cold weather set in. Thought from others. Thanks. Peter.

Stephen Alford

Hey Peter, I am no mechanic, but  just wondering if your heat indicator works ?  My ol detroits do what we call cold stackin. When she is not running hot enough she will slobber at the base of the muffler. These are not turbos , however. The thermostat can be checked by putting it in some hot water. Have had to put a piece of cardboard in front of the rad to help her run a tad hotter. The cardboard should run the same as the tubes and probably no more than half the surface area. Bad idea if the indicator is not ticktyboo. If your pokin around the engine, should check the air filter as well. Had to change them several times this year because it was so hot and dry up till nov.  Anyway maybe this post will be just something to help pass the time until one of those wrenchin lads show up to help. Man ,I get weak in the knees just readin  their stuff.   :D
logon

WH_Conley

I have a Ford farm tractor that did that. It was the seals in the turbo.
Bill

Ed_K

Couple yrs ago I rented a 540d we saw a little oil same place and owner said "it's ok,run it"well around 10am it started smoking real bad,we didn't make it back to the landing,the turbo seals failed.It's around $1000. for a jd rebuilt turbo.
Better check it out,as once the turbo fails the muffler fills with oil and is hard to clean without catching on fire.I changed it right where it quit,long walk with tools and new oil  >:( .
Ed K

Dom

Like everyone mentioned, seems to be the turbo.
Also, check the return and feed lines when/if you replace the turbo. Already saw feed lines that were clogged. On some cars, the return lines had a screen and would get clogged, causing an abundance of oil in the turbo, equally not good.

loggah

Well it could be bad seals at the turbo, or it could be unburned diesel fuel mixing with carbon to look like engine oil. The  times i have seen a turbo seal fail totally  the engine oil pumped right out the end of the exhaust  pipe and sprayed everywhere.
Interests: Lombard Log Haulers,Tucker Sno-Cats, Circular Sawmills, Shingle Mills, Maple Syrup Making, Early Construction Equipment, Logging Memorabilia, and Antique Firearms

Ed_K

Yep sprayed everwhere  :o .
Ed K

stoneeaglefarm

To all who were great to respond, We pulled turbo and will see what tommorrow brings

Andrew Lawrence

wonder if one could get new seals and bearings for turbo or do you have to have it "rebuilt" ?
Lawrence Lot Clearing Logging                            To God be the glory

loggah

sometimes you can buy a new "cartridge" and bolt or clamp the housings around it. you need special tools to rebuild them ,and the impeller is probably worn if the bearings are bad.
Interests: Lombard Log Haulers,Tucker Sno-Cats, Circular Sawmills, Shingle Mills, Maple Syrup Making, Early Construction Equipment, Logging Memorabilia, and Antique Firearms

DigDug

Are you adding oil to engine daily?   Im more inclined to think as Loggah said it is unburned fuel and exhuast carbon leaking at the seam .   Unless you are losing oil daily and its spitting out the stack.   

thenorthman

had a buddy of mine lose a turbo on his pete selfloader while grabbing gears after turning onto a highway... said it took half an hour for the smoke to clear and traffic to start moving again... first guy through was a cop that thought he was responding to a car fire
well that didn't work

stoneeaglefarm

Replaced turbo today, Wish it was just a little colder, Nothing better than turning wrenches at 15 degrees, It seems to have solved the problem, Was shocked to find when I was checking hoses for repait while I had stuff tore apart that I had some ice chunks in my radiator hoses, I had just replaced all fluid awhile ago, I ra machine for short periods as ice chunks worked there way thru,I then ran it up and down landing for short periods, Checked it, ran it, and checked again, Then took it for a 1/2 mile spin, Seems good, Its still outside running, I bought a rebuilt turbo thru PB&H and bolted that on, The muffler was more of a pain redoing than the turbo, Any one else had problems with the antifreeze, Wondering if the 50/50 mix I was buying was not 50/50, Thanks again for help, When it gets warm I will tackle a big Hydo leak on other 440c, Hows markets holding up for you folks in Maine and NH, We are on quotas down here. Peter.

North River Energy

Quotewonder if one could get new seals and bearings for turbo or do you have to have it "rebuilt" ?

I've rebuilt a number of the older GarrettAiresearch turbos in an automotive application.
These were not water cooled.
Service cue was the oil seeping from the flanges on start up.

Kits were less than $100, critical parts being the thrust and spindle bearings, and the piston-ring type oil seals.

Patience with the blue wrench to separate the scrolls, a lathe for polishing the impeller shaft, and a modified pair of snap ring pliers for the bearing retainer snap rings.

3-4 hours including R&R?

I'd assume, perhaps incorrectly(?), that the larger industrial units are a variation on the theme, price adjusted, of course.

The cartridge/reman is a safer bet if you don't know the history.

David-L

Hey Peter,
I always ran cardboard when it was 10 degrees or lower on the 440b. Air cooled Duetz now in a 225 jack, can't find where to put the anti-freeze in though. Glad to see you still going, is that your 440c on craigs list in NH.
                                                                         David  Landworks Farm
In two days from now, tomorrow will be yesterday.

stoneeaglefarm

Hi David, I have 2 440cs and yes one is for sale, The young kid that works with me is headed to find a better security job, He has a family know and logging is so up and down, The machine for sale is the one with new turbo, Great little machine, Off to run it today. Looking forward to the warm spell coming.

Thank You Sponsors!