iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Tj 350 Clark transmission

Started by kb88, February 13, 2016, 07:41:46 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

kb88

Was wondering if anyone has rebuilt a torque converter in one of these clark    transmissions? Are parts expensive? Mine has a 4-53 Detroit and its a 3 speed trans.

treeslayer2003

i rebuilt an old two speed clark converter, not much to it but the seals were not cheap. that was not my problem though, engine tune was.

oldseabee

I agree with Treeslayer, Clark converters are pretty tough, but like any converter they are sensitive to engine RPM, 453 has to be tuned right to achieve the right stall speed to make the converter work. I'd want to be sure the engine was right before spending a lot on converter parts that you may not need.

kb88

I'm getting full rpm. It just is slipping alot. It won't hardly pull a load in 2nd gear anymore. Pretty much has to be wide open to get it to move around.

treeslayer2003

Quote from: kb88 on February 14, 2016, 03:07:28 PM
I'm getting full rpm. It just is slipping alot. It won't hardly pull a load in 2nd gear anymore. Pretty much has to be wide open to get it to move around.
ok, you have to determine what is "slipping" the converter doesn't really slip, though it can be in a state of stall or near stall. the clutch packs in the transmission can slip, from low pressure or simply worn off friction material. you need to check charge pump pressure with a gauge.

kb88

It's the torque converter that's worn. The clutch pressure is fine.

Ken

Quote from: kb88 on February 13, 2016, 07:41:46 AM
Was wondering if anyone has rebuilt a torque converter in one of these clark    transmissions? Are parts expensive? Mine has a 4-53 Detroit and its a 3 speed trans.

I had to do a complete rebuild on a 3 speed Clark about 10 years ago and if I remember correctly it was $5-6000. 
Lots of toys for working in the bush

kiko

Usually if the convertor has failed the oil will be black/ gray.  The main seal for the convertor may have failed.

Thank You Sponsors!