iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

End Trimming and sealer?

Started by luke, August 18, 2003, 07:15:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

luke

I am planning on harvesting some trees, and was going to saw some of the logs into 2" x 4" x 92 5/8", the logs are hemlock and poplar, I am estimating that I should add a 1/4" to thickness and width.  When the 2" x 4"s come off the mill I want to trim the ends with a crosscut miter saw, to the correct length, and then put end sealer on the ends of the boards and then stick and stack them for air drying.  Is that the correct method of processing the lumber?

Checking into grade sawing, building a dry kiln and moulding machines.

Kevin

The end sealer is usually put on the end of the logs prior to milling, much easier than sealing the lumber.
I measure a foot longer on the log to allow for 6" of splitting on each end while the lumber dries.

Tex-saw

I would wait till it was dry to cut to final length,lumber usually does'nt shrink lenght wise but just a little would mess you up, sounds like your making pre-cut wall studs when I cut mine out of SYP I cut them 1-5/8X3-5/8 then when ther dry I cut them to 92-5/8 I made a jig with a stop block for my miter saw so I can just whack one end slide it down to the stop block and I got a stud

Thank You Sponsors!