iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Nyle L200 Kiln

Started by ahlkey, July 28, 2009, 09:03:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ahlkey

I just purchased a used Nyle L200 Kiln in reasonably good shape.   The chamber is very solid and 8 ft high, 12 ft wide, and a little over 18 ft in length (depth).   I would like to try to reuse the Kiln in tact but moving it about 100 miles over the highway doesn't seem possible.  Anyone have any experience in moving a large Kiln chamber?  It seems that by dismantling everything I will be able to reuse the insulation and the access doors but the rest of the chamber may prove impractical.  Would I just be better to start over?   One thought I had was to cut the chamber in two or three modules in order to move it and then put it back together on top of a new frame?   In essence it would increase the height and add to the overall lenght but otherwise save a lot in time and materials?    I could place the modules on the 8ft height side which would make it legal for transport over the highway.  Likewise, in smaller sections it becomes more manageable to winching, loading, or whatever else can be used to move it on and off my trailers.  Given that most of the chamber is insulation I can't imagine it would be too heavy but everything is made with solid 2x6's and plywood etc...   Thoughts?

LeeB

Know anybody with a lowbow trailer? I just rrecently moved an old cargo box for a friend that was about that size, little bit longer, on an 18' trailer. Only moved it 25 miles though.
'98 LT40HDD/Lombardini, Case 580L, Cat D4C, JD 3032 tractor, JD 5410 tractor, Husky 346, 372 and 562XP's. Stihl MS180 and MS361, 1998 and 2006 3/4 Ton 5.9 Cummins 4x4's, 1989 Dodge D100 w/ 318, and a 1966 Chevy C60 w/ dump bed.

ahlkey

It looks like the lowboy could be the best option.  It sure would be great if I can keep the entire chamber intact.  You still need a permit for transporting in Wisconsin but many of the small portable building sheds are 12 ft wide and permits are granted.   I will need to transport 100 miles.  Found one company willing to transport but getting it loaded could be a challenge. 

Ironwood

See if you can find someone w/ a Landall (Landoll?) trailer. the tongue drops and disconnects to load, then it can lift the front back up, they are pretty slick. Either that OR get a crane to come in a load it onto the lowboy. Around here cranes hire out at about $125/ hr.

Ironwood
There is no scarcity of opportunity to make a living at what you love to do, there is only scarcity of resolve to make it happen.- Wayne Dyer

WH_Conley

Permits for 12' are easy, think house trailers. Getting it on a trailer is harder. Jack and crib will work. Might be cheaper to go the crane route. Detach tongue drag won't work, unless you can drag it under the structure, can't imagine an owner letting you do this. The load has to move to the trailer.

Most companies will give you an hour or so loading time. I recently moved a building by jacking it up from each side, 4" at a time, when the trailer arrived we just backed it in and let the building down 4" at a time. Half hour after arrival we were on the road.
Bill

Paul_H

I moved our kiln a few years ago and it went fairly smoothly.It was lifted by a crane and set on a lowbed.The kiln footprint is 10 x 20' x13 high plus a 2' overhang.

https://forestryforum.com/board/index.php/topic,13363.msg189804.html#msg189804
Science isn't meant to be trusted it's to be tested

karl

Is there a shed mfg in your area? They move buildings of that size every day....most shed trailers tilt and have loading winches etc. at worst you might have to jack up one end so that they can back under it. They will charge you a bunch less than a crane(at each end of trip) and lowboy I would think.Arpund here they charge $4.50 a loaded mile....for their own buildings anyway.
"I ask for wisdom and strength, Not to be superior to my brothers, but to be able to fight my greatest enemy, myself"  - from Ojibwa Prayer.

ahlkey

It certainly has been interesting so far in trying to arrange a transport company to do this.  The small shed building companies have the best equipment but the couple I contacted were not interested unless I purchased from them.  Did get one quote for $600 from a mobile home company but he doesn't want to be involved in loading or unloading.   Local crane guy will unload for $250 (minimum of 3 hours) but will charge a fortune to load it 100 miles away. Lowboy transport company quoted $1200 to do it all.  The option of getting a trailer with a tilt bed & winch seems a reasonable way to do it but so far have been unable to locate someone.  I believe I will find a way to get it done but worse case I can still take the building apart and build a new one if I have to.   I plan to pick up the Kiln & Chamber in 2 weeks or so.  Thanks for all the advice.

Thank You Sponsors!