iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Buying A Farm! (UPDATE: Deal Fell Through)

Started by Leigh Family Farm, March 07, 2019, 02:21:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Leigh Family Farm

We have been searching for a property for the last few years. Finally one came on the market that met 95% of our needs, so we threw out an offer. Surprisingly the sellers didn't laugh at us when we underbid by $100k! After some heavy negotiations, as of last night, we went under contract for a 10.17 acre farm that is half open half woods. The house is 4 bedrooms, 2 bathrooms, 1820s stone farmhouse with a large 5 bay garage.

We are super excited. There is some work that needs to be done on the house. The roof is over 20 years old and on its last legs. The septic is too small, needs replacement. The heating furnace is good but old/inefficient (i.e. costly). The glass sliders and windows should be replaced but that might wait since they function for now. We will convert the two small bedrooms (10x10s) into a large master bedroom suite.

The garage is actually an old bank barn foundation that the previous owners converted. Unfortunately the roof was shallow pitched an recent caved in. I will have to address that before insurance will grant me a permanent policy. I will be asking for some advice on how to tackle that project.

I will post pictures shortly.

8) 8) 8) 8) Gonna be a farmer/homesteader/sawyer/crazy guy!!!

There are no problems; only solutions we haven't found yet.

Wudman

Congrats!!  Nothing better than having a little dirt to cultivate and a place to sit the mill.

Wudman
"You may tear down statues and burn buildings but you can't kill the spirit of patriots and when they've had enough this madness will end."
Charlie Daniels
July 4, 2020 (2 days before his death)

lxskllr

Dude, that sounds awesome! I love old stone houses. Seems like there's always something to fix, but the character makes it worth it imo. Congratulations!

AZ_builder

It feels really good to be a land owner, feels even better when it's paid off! Congratulations on your new place.

thecfarm

Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

Ricker

Nice.  The stone house revival show on the dyi channel is one if my favorites, look forward to seeing pic of your place.

Southside

I am really sorry to hear this.  A farm and a sawmill - two of the worst addictions a man can face, and at the same time no less.... :D  Seriously - congratulations, let the work  eh fun begin!!  
Franklin buncher and skidder
JD Processor
Woodmizer LT Super 70 and LT35 sawmill, KD250 kiln, BMS 250 sharpener and setter
Riehl Edger
Woodmaster 725 and 4000 planner and moulder
Enough cows to ensure there is no spare time.
White Oak Meadows

Peter Drouin

A&P saw Mill LLC.
45' of Wood Mizer, cutting since 1987.
License NH softwood grader.

samandothers

Congratulations!  Exciting time! Looking forward to your pictures.

Leigh Family Farm

Quote from: Southside logger on March 07, 2019, 08:01:32 PM
I am really sorry to hear this.  A farm and a sawmill - two of the worst addictions a man can face, and at the same time no less.... :D  Seriously - congratulations, let the work eh fun begin!!  
I know. and I like guns...  :o
Pictures will be up on Tuesday-ish. Thats when I am doing a full walk through with the inspectors (home & well). 

Leigh Family Farm

As promised here are some pictures of the property.

Kitchen

Two pastures, fenced in. Thats the neighbor's house in the distance.

Inside one of the garages

This is what most of the woods look like. How can I clear this out?

One of the bedrooms. And main staircase below. Its about 4 feet wide!

Video tour of property coming soon! 

Southside

Well it looks like the kitchen is already painted to match a Wood-Mizer, so at least there won't be any color coordination conflict there!!   :D  As far as the woods go - that is prime material for a forestry mulcher, even a skid steer mounted unit would do wonders in there in short order and create you some additional pasture area.  

I like the sun porch!! 
JD Processor
Woodmizer LT Super 70 and LT35 sawmill, KD250 kiln, BMS 250 sharpener and setter
Riehl Edger
White Oak Meadows

AZ_builder

samandothers

Very nice, I too like the sun porch.  The vines look similar to some we have in Va.  Radiator heat, plumbed to an outside boiler? ;D

thecfarm

Two fireplaces? One on each end of the house?
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

Leigh Family Farm

Yea there is a fireplace on either end of the house. Supposedly both work but I need to confirm that first.

Leigh Family Farm

Walking tour of the farm - YouTube

A short video tour of the property. Any suggestions on the garage roof? I will post more pictures later.

btulloh

Nice place.  Someone's done a lot of work on that house.  Looks good.  

What's the heating plant like?  An OWB might be a good thing if you're so inclined.

X2 on the forestry mulcher.  That's the perfect tool to clean up some of the woods.

Thanks for the tour.
HM126

Leigh Family Farm

@btulloh - the heating system is an oil furnace that heats water filled radiators throughout the main farmhouse with one thermostat. The kitchen is on a single electric wall radiator with its own thermostat. I will look into an OWB in the future. For now, I am ok will a furnace just not happy with the limited zones and electric in the kitchen. When I have the furnace inspected and a work estimate given, I will ask about adding the kitchen to the system. 

thank you for the suggestions of the forestry mulcher. I will probably hire that out to someone or see if I can rent one for a week or so. They are too expensive to buy just for a few acres of clearing. 

btulloh

I'd probably hire out the forestry mulcher.  Running one of those in tight quarters takes some practice.  I hired a guy with skid steer to do a few acres for me and it was the best money I ever spent.
HM126

WV Sawmiller

Thanks for the tour. Congrats on the farm. I can't believe it when I see flat land and no rocks everywhere but I guess there are actually places like that. :D

If I understood correctly the walls on the garage are reasonably sound and the uprights looked like they are intact and usable. If it was me I'd repair/rebuild it especially since it looks like you will have access to plenty of lumber for framing and such. Good luck.
Howard Green
WM LT35HDG25(2015) , 2011 4WD F150 Ford Lariat PU, Kawasaki 650 ATV, Stihl 440 Chainsaw, homemade logging arch (w/custom built rear log dolly), JD 750 w/4' wide Bushhog brand FEL

Dad always said "You can shear a sheep a bunch of times but you can only skin him once

Southside

Just curious - what's with the cooling towers next door?
JD Processor
Riehl Edger
White Oak Meadows

Ruffgear

I would tear the old garage down and start over. Anything you lose in materials you will save in labor. And you will have a building built to your needs

SwampDonkey

Congrats on your new piece of heaven. Looks nice and flat and easy to work on. ;D

I would remove the old garage, 4 hr job or less, tops. Hauled off and smoothed up for a new one. :)
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

lxskllr

Great place! I'd do the woods cleanup with a chainsaw, cause that's what I've been doing, cleaning woods with a chainsaw. Get the vines first, then you can go in with a machine. You've got forever, and you'll eventually want a skid steer, cause who doesn't want a skid steer? Since you'll have already taken the vines down, you can backdrag the stickers and little stuff to get rid of it.

Thank You Sponsors!