iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Too Old to change careers?

Started by Old Nate, March 13, 2020, 09:02:57 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Old Nate

Hi everyone. My name is Nathan, I've been contemplating a career in a forestry related field for some time now and recently found this forum. I am 37 years old, married with three boys (5, 3, and 1). I'm a veteran, served in the Air Force and already have a bachelor's degree in English Literature. I work for the government as an HVAC technician. I'm currently talking to Penn State about the Forest Ecosystem Management degree they offer. 

I was hoping some classes would be offered online but looks like if I want to pursue this degree I'll have to go full time the traditional way. I was going to inquire about switching my shift to nights, but I don't think I could do that and go to school and give my wife and boys the love and support they need and I want to give to them. Honestly, I don't know how I can afford it but I desperately want to make this change.  

If anyone has any insight, I'd appreciate the advice. I wish I had realized this and knew about the forestry field ten years ago, but it's pointless to ponder on that now. 

WV Sawmiller

Sounds like some tough decisions. I hope you find a satisfactory compromise or solution to your challenges. You say you are talking to Penn State. Be sure to lay out your situation as clearly as possible to them and hopefully they can develop some sort of customized schedule you can work with. Good luck. 
Howard Green
WM LT35HDG25(2015) , 2011 4WD F150 Ford Lariat PU, Kawasaki 650 ATV, Stihl 440 Chainsaw, homemade logging arch (w/custom built rear log dolly), JD 750 w/4' wide Bushhog brand FEL

Dad always said "You can shear a sheep a bunch of times but you can only skin him once

Old Nate

Thanks. If they can work out a special schedule for me I would greatly appreciate it... it's about a 2 hour drive one way. Honestly, I didn't think that would be an option. 

dgdrls

dougtrr2

You have to look at the long term big picture.  Working, going to school, and taking care of family all that the same time can be done but sacrifices and compromises will have to be made.  

When I was in the Air Force I went to school full time.  I had to get my schedule changed to do it.  My shift was 3 on, 3 off; 12 hour nights 6 to 6.  I would come home, go to sleep,  get up at noon and go to school in the afternoon.  Come home eat and then go to work. On my days off I was at the college catching up on my shop time (Industrial Arts Teacher) but there was very little family time, and we were a very young family.  My first son was born while I was in school.   So it can be done.  Just keep your eye on the long term prize/happiness.

Doug in SW IA

Old Nate

My wife is an RN and has been working 1 day a week or not at all for 4 years now. She told me she would go back full time but I don't know if I can make her do that. That scenario puts a knot in my stomach just thinking about it. 

I'm looking into getting my work schedule changed but would see my kids and wife very little as a result. This also would be incredibly difficult on everyone. 

I appreciate everyone's insight and your own stories. ESP those that went back to school as non traditional students. 

Grizzly

Quote from: Old Nate on March 17, 2020, 10:09:56 PMShe told me she would go back full time but I don't know if I can make her do that

If your best friend and mate offers to do the same for you as you would for her, be careful you don't insult her offer. She may have her eye on the long-term more so than you do. I do agree that whatever you do is a decision you reach together. just my thought.
2011 - Logmaster LM-2 / Chinese wheel loader
Jonsered saws - 2149 - 111S - 90?
2000 Miners 3-31 Board Edger

Arborpower

One of the BEST online programs is at Oregon State University.  Instructor is Paul Ries - A great teacher.  You can either enroll for a full degree in environmental studies, or just take the section in Urban Forestry.  This is a total online program from one of the best instructors around.  https://ecampus.oregonstate.edu/online-degrees/graduate/urban-forestry/

Old Nate

What about accreditation? I've read several articles, etc that basically said be  aware of anything offered solely online. Businesses look for grads that come from hands on accredited programs. 

petefrom bearswamp

You are never too old to follow your dream.
I left a secure position with NY state Dept of Environmental Conservation in 1978 at the age of 41 to pursue a career as a self employed consulting forester.
Best move I ever made.
I remember going to the Ranger School in Wanakena NY in 1958 with a friend, his father a forester, was driving us.
I was very young so your situation is obviously different.
My friend and i were discussing what to do after graduation and his dad told us, boys, you dont go into forestry for the money you do it for the love of the profession.
I wish you all the best whatever path you take.
Kubota 8540 tractor, FEL bucket and forks, Farmi winch
Kubota 900 RTV
Polaris 570 Sportsman ATV
3 Huskies 1 gas Echo 1 cordless Echo vintage Homelite super xl12
57 acres of woodland

farmfromkansas

Before you spend a lot of effort and money pursuing a career, check out the job opportunities and pay of your target career.  Colleges are great at marketing their services and do not care whether you do well after you get your degree.  Just look at your earlier degree and where you work now.  HVAC is a good career, and you have a job with the best benefits and retirement known to man.
Most everything I enjoy doing turns out to be work

Old Nate

Quote from: farmfromkansas on April 02, 2020, 08:49:46 AM
Before you spend a lot of effort and money pursuing a career, check out the job opportunities and pay of your target career.  Colleges are great at marketing their services and do not care whether you do well after you get your degree.  Just look at your earlier degree and where you work now.  HVAC is a good career, and you have a job with the best benefits and retirement known to man.
Trust me I have considered that and then some. It adds up to do I want to do something about it, or stay where I'm at... I've been wanting to make a change for a long time now.  Change is scary. But, in a perfect world I actually go for it... 

kantuckid

Old Nate-I sent you a PM today-sort of a better late than never PM at that :D. I was a career counselor for many years and been around the block myself after 4 careers I went back to college at age 30 and did my last in education. 
Kan=Kansas;tuck=Kentucky;kid=what I'm not

mike_belben

Praise The Lord

kantuckid

I got no response from my PM so far...

submarinesailor

If you haven't already done so,  PLEASE go see a VA counselor.  They should be able to help you on the money end.

Bruce

Edvantage

Too old? I'm 51 and have been fabricator/machinist/machine builder since high school. I have 10 kids 9 at home and am switching careers. I have loved what I do and have no regrets but am just ready for a change. 37 is young go for it!

Walnut Beast

No Way!! Your only as old as you think you are. It's never to late to start

kantuckid

We are talking to each other as the OP has never showed up...
Ten kids-wow. I wish my tax return had your deductions. Reminds me of the guy I worked with when I was single and making great money then giving much of it back to the government! His name was Mosey Marlow and he ran the Smoker Room in the meat packing plant where he and I worked. Mosey had 7 or 8 kids and thus paid no income tax. Little did I realize then, that I actually had more disposable income than did he. 

Some people I used to work with would like to talk about their investments and what was making them money. I once quipped that "all my money was invested in Nike shoes" which was sort of true (real shoes not stocks, of course :D) what with us having three teenagers driving, in HS & college at the same time. 
People should make a career change if it doesn't mess up other people in doing so and keeps their life in gear too. Just watch out what your wishing for!  

ppine

Some years ago I was contemplating moving to British Columbia where forestry is still their biggest industry.   My close friend got wind of this idea and his question was "I wonder if they are hiring any old foresters?"

Now I am 70 and drink Old Forester. 

Are you fit?  Can you keep up with people younger than you are?  Working in the field means you have to be able to climb the hills. 
Forester

Mean Dean

I was 40 and married with 2 elementary school children when I starter college. For 4 years you seldom saw me without a book bag as there was always homework to do or something that I needed to read if I had a few minutes. 25 years later I am very happy that I went.

Ron Scott

~Ron

Old Nate

Hi guys, I never did go to school to study forestry. Life moved on. I coach my kids baseball team. Put an addition on the house. My wife got pretty scared at the thought of me going back to school and making basically no money at all. And honestly, I did too. I still think about it, would love to find a company, preferably government job so I can keep my pension, that would give me a chance, start at the low end, but I haven't seriously looked either. Just got stuck in the doldrums of life. I have cut a lot of trees down in the past year... 

Iwawoodwork

There are many different types of jobs with public agencies, local city, county, state, that are not college degree level. If you go on line and look at all of the different job listings, there are many that do not require an advanced degree.   There grounds keepers, road crews, mechanics, custodians, building maintenance and many others. 

Tyler17232ax

Quote from: dgdrls on March 14, 2020, 08:15:17 AM
See if Mississippi State can help you,

Nexthash installment processor is a product application utilized by installment suppliers or Nexthash to effectively and safely incorporate the choice of crypto installments into their answers. Blockchain-based installments are turning into an important installment technique available and are constantly progressing towards standard use. Considering this, each future business stage will go to a moment that it needs to incorporate a free from any danger way for handling installments with digital currencies. The processors have as of now beat various specialized difficulties and are currently fit for following numerous cryptographic forms of money, tokens and other computerized resources through one basic brought together interface; consequently, they have turned into a solid channel that associates dealer applications with the arising universe of digital currencies.The installment processor empowers tolerating digital currency exchanges from non-custodial crypto wallets – versatile applications that empower autonomous age, marking and proliferation of blockchain exchanges with a few cryptographic forms of money. A few ramifications are conceivable in mix with a white-marked crypto wallet, from installment frameworks to settlement arrangements. A wide range of styles of convenience. Beds, rooms, condos or whole flats, all on one stage.All facilities are prepared and are situated in the city of Ljubljana in the nearness of colleges. https://erasmus-home.com/ Accommodating and amicable staff is consistently available to you. Whatever you could require, we're generally here to help.
D
Thank you. Missisipy is the king! It has not yet disappointed. 

Thank You Sponsors!