iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Veggie Garden 2021

Started by SwampDonkey, June 05, 2021, 01:34:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

21incher

😮 On my little tablet screen it looks like a big apple 🍎 Might  need to get my eyes examined 🍅.  I got tired of tomatoes and the yellow  jackets they were attracting so pulled the plants last week. My garden  is done for the year and the only thing left is planting  garlic..
Hudson HFE-21 on a custom trailer, Deere 4100, Kubota BX 2360, Echo CS590 & CS310, home built wood splitter, home built log arch, a logrite cant hook and a bread machine. And a Kubota Sidekick with a Defective Subaru motor.

Al_Smith

I dilley dallied too long this spring getting the plants and as a result no beef steak plants .

SwampDonkey

I picked some jalapenos this morning to do 4 small jars of sliced peppers for sandwiches this winter.

The garden is pretty much done up here to. I've gotten all I want or can handle for this year. ;)
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

Mooseherder

The only thing left in the garden I'll try to save is one lil pumpkin.  Got a couple of peas yesterday.    Looks like a frost week ahead.  My watermelon plants looked beautiful but didn't produce.   My pumpkin patch grew beautiful flowers all season but no crop except for this.  Oh yeah, still have plenty of carrots left. 

newoodguy78

Quote from: SwampDonkey on October 01, 2021, 03:17:40 AM
The one pounder. 8)

That's what we call a "bomber" around here . Nice one  8)

mike_belben

Im still planting for plastic tunnel greens.
Praise The Lord

SwampDonkey

Four half pints of jalapeno rings. ;D

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

Al_Smith

I learned the hard way you don't plant hot peppers and mild peppers in close proximity .They will cross and I think the bell peppers become the hottest . They will get you coming and going--come on ice cream . :D

Chuck White

I've always planted Jalapenos right along with Bell Peppers and never seemed to have any interaction!

SD; What pickling do you put in those Jalapenos?
I just cut them into rings, then poured boiling distilled vinegar in to fill the jar, then cap them tightly!
~Chuck~  Cooks Cat Claw sharpener and single tooth setter.  2018 Chevy Silverado and 2021 Subaru Ascent.
With basic mechanical skills and the ability to read you can maintain a Woodmizer  LT40!

SwampDonkey

The rings are new to me Chuck. I just use 2:1 vinegar:water, a little salt, a little sugar, mustard seed and pepper corn. Stuff the sterilized jars with a garlic clove sliced into 3rds, a bay leaf and then seedless rings, pour in boiling brine. Good to go. ;D

Only thing I would worry about with cross pollination is the seeds. The fruit the first year won't change none. But them new seeds, who knows what they will be. :D

kantuckid

We dice all jalepenos we don't stuff and freeze both, never crosscut as we want more flavor, less heat from seeds and pith. They are a great cooking pepper so we've discovered in more recent years. I have a bunch of slow motion cherry peppers that might make some color? They are also VG stuffed and frozen or diced/sauteed in onions then frozen for pimento cheese peppers instead of buying them-and they have more taste! 
Maters have been blighted and dead for a long time this year. 

Kan=Kansas;tuck=Kentucky;kid=what I'm not

Al_Smith

It's about over with this season . I made just a moment ago perhaps one of the last of the cucumbers, onions and tomatoes .Spiced up just tad bit for enhancement .A little piazz .I could have easily grown up Cajun minus the grits .Georgie Girl likes them though . ???

SwampDonkey

I had a lot of jalapenos that turned red this year, so they are mixed in with the greens in them jars for color. I like them on ham sandwiches, 3 or 4 rings are just right for me. Love'm! ;D

Al_Smith

The seeds in jalapeno peppers are where fire is that will boil the water out of a toilet bowl .You can buy the ones deseeded to french fry and they are mild .I suppose you could make them yourself though .

SwampDonkey

Any seeds you might see in them jars I made are mustard seed and you probably can't see the black pepper seed (the kind you crush to sprinkle on your baked potato). ;D

Al_Smith

We don't can but I have a jar of sliced in the fridge with the seeds left in .I use them some times in a salad or something .
My first wife would put them in spaghetti  sauce then give the left overs to the cat .George the wonder cat would sneak up on them and growl like a  lion and eat them .About two days later he'd growl again when they came out and bite his butt . That cat wasn't right . :D

Mooseherder

I make a cheesy scalloped potato dish with diced onions, jalapeño, banana peppers and minced garlic.   Good stuff.

HemlockKing

Quote from: Mooseherder on October 07, 2021, 07:47:11 PM
I make a cheesy scalloped potato dish with diced onions, jalapeño, banana peppers and minced garlic.   Good stuff.
Missing bacon bits... MMMM
A1

SwampDonkey

I've been eating peppers loaded down in most any dish or sandwich for some time now. :D Tonight's sandwich was Tuscan style ham, Hungarian salami, 4 rings of fresh red bell, 4 rings of pickled jalapeno, 2 slabs of beefsteak tomato, 2 slices of Swiss, sour dough bread, mustard and mayo. My goodness. ;D

21incher

I dumped my last (2) 5 gallon buckets full of peppers in the compost yesterday. We just couldn't eat anymore and my maillady refused to take anymore. Freezers are full, canning shelves full, and it was the biggest harvest we ever had. Cutting back on the number of plants this year didn't make a difference. Last thing left is get the garlic in once nighttime temps fall into  the 40s and below. What a heatwave we have now and total infestation of stink bugs.
Hudson HFE-21 on a custom trailer, Deere 4100, Kubota BX 2360, Echo CS590 & CS310, home built wood splitter, home built log arch, a logrite cant hook and a bread machine. And a Kubota Sidekick with a Defective Subaru motor.

Al_Smith

Those bugs seem to be every where this year .I had one a few says ago get in my beer can and cause me a surprise .I spit it out and gave it the good old "kiwi stomp " .Perhaps I need a "sippy cup " top ?

SwampDonkey

We don't get those in a fall warm up here. What we get is USDA released Asian lady beetles, not the native ones. They want to get into any place warm. :D :D

We had our first frost up here this morning. And got two loads of firewood hauled this morning.

Squash pie for dessert with hamburgers. It's actually pumpkin, but we have made 2 squash pies earlier and devoured them. Dollop of ice cream on top of course. The real stuff, not that fake stuff.  :D :D

Al_Smith

I think squash is used more for pies than actual pumpkin from what I've heard .

SwampDonkey

Thing for us is we grow squash for a vegetable, and it can be used as pies and you wouldn't know the difference. Pumpkin is either pie or halloween pumpkins. My grand mother would boil the water off them wet halloween pumpkin for as long as it took. Seed was likely cheaper. Depression years done that to the old folks up here, some never came out of them. :D Mom's uncle was like that, but never experienced hard times because he was a rail road man with a steady cheque. But if he had to paint a building, it was 'dobber' style, a can would last 20 years, dobbing on over the peeled spots. Asbestos siding was on in the 40's, still on. Asphalt shingles, a good 60 years ago now, and never curled neither. Millionaire when he died. :D

21incher

We use butternuts for pies when the pumpkins are gone. Pumpkins only last in the root cellar till about Feb where butternuts will last till Easter.  Can't  tell the difference. Recently we received a warning  from our county to watch for another invasive bug called the Spotted Lanternfly. Supposed to notify them if you see even one. They attack grapes, hops, and hardwoods that our area relies on. 

Thank You Sponsors!