iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

New Router Table Set-up for Slabs

Started by D6c, July 09, 2021, 06:35:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

D6c

I put this together using the takeonetoo.com router sled kit and a bunch of aluminum extrusion.
Because of limited space I hinged it to the wall to keep it out of the way when not in use.
So far I've only tested it on a couple of pieces, but it seems to work well.
Next up is to put one of my large burr oak slabs on it and see if I can make it flat.

Wall Mounted Router Table for Slab Flattening - YouTube

Larry

Outstanding!!! 8) 8)

Tell us more about the sled kit and how to get one.  I went to takeonetwo.com and watched the video....I was impressed.

Hope to see you flatten a slab.
Larry, making useful and beautiful things out of the most environmental friendly material on the planet.

We need to insure our customers understand the importance of our craft.

Crusarius

thats pretty sweet. I never thought about a chuck extension. That sure could help me on my router sled setup.

D6c

I got familiar with the router setup from takeonetoo.com through the YouTube channel "Manor Wood".  He's got several videos showing his various router setups and now sells them.  I bought direct from the company.

The kit comes with all the hardware to put together the carriages with your aluminum extrusions.  The parts are all stainless steel and very well made.

I'll post some photos to better show how it's made. 
I bought a festool router because it's got a quick release base but it's not as solid as I was expecting.  I ended up having to bolt it down anyway so that feature wasn't an advantage.
I did have trouble getting a router bit extension that would run true enough not to cause vibration.  Most of them aren't high precision.

D6c

Here are a few pics of the router table.  The oak slab i'm working on it 13 1/2' long and about 40" wide at the widest point.
I have 5 more slabs out the the same log and this one is the narrowest.

The router is cutting real well. I've just about got this side cleaned up.  I may flip it now, clean the other side, then flip it back and finish the first side in case it releases some tension and pulls a little.

Larry

What cutter are you using?  How big is it and are you happy with it?
Larry, making useful and beautiful things out of the most environmental friendly material on the planet.

We need to insure our customers understand the importance of our craft.

D6c

I'm using an Amana 3 flute, 45° cutter  It seems to work pretty well.  There are a couple of other sizes of the same cutter but I don't think I'd want anything bigger.  With the cutter extension it was difficult enough to get it running true so there wasn't vibration.  I ended up chucking the cutter in several different orientations until I got the least amount of runout I could get.

Crossroads

Nice work! Looks like it works very well 
With the right fulcrum and enough leverage, you can move the world!

2017 LT40 wide, BMS250 and BMT250,036 stihl, 2001 Dodge 3500 5.9 Cummins, l8000 Ford dump truck, hr16 Terex excavator, Valley je 2x24 edger, Gehl ctl65 skid steer, JD350c dozer

Lostinmn

That is one of the slickest set up Ideas I've seen, very very nice!

charles mann

Im researching material to to get my sled build to span 74", across my sawmill and use the mill bed for length. just need to find the type of material for the 74" span, that hopefully won't sag any. i was thinking either a set of sbr20 or sbr25 linear rails, of a pair of 1.5x1.5 t-slot extrusion. 
Temple, Tx
Fire Fighting and Heavy Lift Helicopter Mech
Helicopter and Fixed Wing Pilot

D6c

Quote from: charles mann on August 12, 2021, 01:23:23 AM
Im researching material to to get my sled build to span 74", across my sawmill and use the mill bed for length. just need to find the type of material for the 74" span, that hopefully won't sag any. i was thinking either a set of sbr20 or sbr25 linear rails, of a pair of 1.5x1.5 t-slot extrusion.
If you get rectangular t-slot extrusion and stand it on edge it should be pretty stiff.

charles mann

Quote from: D6c on August 15, 2021, 05:43:24 PM
If you get rectangular t-slot extrusion and stand it on edge it should be pretty stiff.
So 1.5"x3" and stand it on the 3" end? Could that be the way im understanding you? 
I had thought about using a 2 part epoxy type material called ea9309 hysol and filling the 2 t-slots not being used, to help stiffen up and support the long span, but that stuff is like $150/qt. 
I think, if im understanding you correctly, it would be much cheaper and more beneficial to take your advise. I will se what mcmaster carr has, the cost and see if i can find similar/same elsewhere for less $$, knowing carr is kinda pricey on some things. 
Temple, Tx

D6c

Quote from: charles mann on August 15, 2021, 07:11:20 PM
So 1.5"x3" and stand it on the 3" end? Could that be the way im understanding you?
I had thought about using a 2 part epoxy type material called ea9309 hysol and filling the 2 t-slots not being used, to help stiffen up and support the long span, but that stuff is like $150/qt.
I think, if im understanding you correctly, it would be much cheaper and more beneficial to take your advise. I will se what mcmaster carr has, the cost and see if i can find similar/same elsewhere for less $$, knowing carr is kinda pricey on some things.
Yes, that's what I meant....turn it so it's 3" tall.  Can't remember the place I bought my extrusion but will look it up and post it.
You can get inch size extrusions but there are more sizes and acceories for metric profiles.

D6c

charles mann

Quote from: D6c on August 19, 2021, 07:15:48 PM
Here's where I got my extrusion.
https://www.framingtech.com/products/
i had looked at that site during a google search for t-slot extrusion/framming, before looking at mcmaster carr. like you said, going metric offers much more accessories over standard. I'll be going that way, and using the link you provided. 
thanks for the info and heads up on availability of accessories by going metric. 

did you buy or build/have built/bent the router support plate/adapter.
it looks like your set up is for a fixed height piece of material, and the only adjustment for depth, is the plunge feature on your router. is that a correct assumption?
i am looking at making an adjustable height feature, for varying thickness of material, ranging between 1" and 6" for a roughing in measurement, then using the plunge feature for finite depth adjustment. 
Temple, Tx

burdman_22

Thats what she said....

D6c

Quote from: charles mann on August 25, 2021, 03:52:21 PM
Quote from: D6c on August 19, 2021, 07:15:48 PM
Here's where I got my extrusion.
https://www.framingtech.com/products/
i had looked at that site during a google search for t-slot extrusion/framming, before looking at mcmaster carr. like you said, going metric offers much more accessories over standard. I'll be going that way, and using the link you provided.
thanks for the info and heads up on availability of accessories by going metric.

did you buy or build/have built/bent the router support plate/adapter.
it looks like your set up is for a fixed height piece of material, and the only adjustment for depth, is the plunge feature on your router. is that a correct assumption?
i am looking at making an adjustable height feature, for varying thickness of material, ranging between 1" and 6" for a roughing in measurement, then using the plunge feature for finite depth adjustment.
Sorry for the late reply, I hadn't seen your post.  The router support and other brackets came from Take One Too.
You're correct, it's a fixed height and only uses the router plunge for adjustment.  I could add a riser to lift the carriage to plane thicker slabs. 

Thank You Sponsors!