The Forestry Forum is sponsored in part by:

iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Forestry Forum
Sponsored by:

TimberKing Sawmills

Toll Free 1-800-582-0470

LogRite Tools

Norwood Industries Inc.

Your source for Portable Sawmills, Edgers, Resaws, Sharpeners, Setters, Bandsaw Blades and Sawmill Parts

EZ Boardwalk Sawmills. More Saw For Less Money!

STIHLDealers.com sponsored by Northeast STIHL

Woodland Sawmills

Peterson Swingmills

KASCO SharpTech WoodMaxx Blades

Turbosawmill

Sawmill Exchange

Michigan Firewood, your BRUTE FORCE Authorized Dealer

Baker Products

ECHO-Bearcat

iDRY Wood Lumber Vacuum Drying for everyon

Nyle Kiln Dry Systems

Chainsawr, The Worlds Largest Inventory of Chainsaw Parts

Smith Sawmill Service

Author Topic: Big Timber on Netflix  (Read 1750 times)

Offline nybhh

• Full Member x2
    • Share Post
Re: Big Timber on Netflix
« Reply #20 on: July 12, 2021, 04:52:26 PM »
What about the taper in the siding, almost doubles the sf per bf wouldn't it?
Those sf numbers were for Dutch, Channel and Shiplap so I think 1SF per BF is probably pretty close.  I donít recall what profiles they milled on the show but one of the later episodes showed them running some siding through a molder (sp?)
Woodmizer LT15, Kubota L3800, Stihl MS261 & 40 acres of ticks trees.

Offline Mountaynman

• Full Member x2
  • work from the southern adks to the catskills in NY
    • Share Post
« Reply #21 on: July 12, 2021, 07:15:34 PM »
I have started watching as well in the little time i watch tv but looks like a real deal operation although looks to me like a partial windfall salvage sale have to see if any of the west coasters chime in lots of broken and rotten wood the fact that they r showing the real part of logging and milling is a real plus.

Having worked in all sides of the business from roadbuilding, falling skidding, bucking, piling, loading, hauling, unloading, debarking, splitting, milling, tailing,reloading for delivery i think so far it gives an accurate representation of a family mill from stump to finished product. Maybe people will watch and realize what it takes to make lumber.
Semi Retired too old and fat to wade thru waist deep snow hand choppin anymore

Online Hilltop366

• Senior Member x2
    • Share Post
« Reply #22 on: July 12, 2021, 08:29:10 PM »
What about the taper in the siding, almost doubles the sf per bf wouldn't it?
Those sf numbers were for Dutch, Channel and Shiplap so I think 1SF per BF is probably pretty close.  I donít recall what profiles they milled on the show but one of the later episodes showed them running some siding through a molder (sp?)
That makes sense, when I think of wood siding I automatically think of tapered siding for some reason. It would be the most common siding around here.

Offline thecfarm

• Senior Member x2
  • If I don't do it,it don't get done
    • Share Post
« Reply #23 on: July 12, 2021, 09:25:21 PM »
Have not watched it yet, but I found it. Not inside much at this time of year, might take me a while.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

Offline Nebraska

• Senior Member x2
  • Lurked for quite a while, learning !
    • Share Post
« Reply #24 on: July 25, 2021, 06:53:13 PM »
The Mrs and I went up to the "cabin" this weekend to finish a shed roofing project we had started.   The cabin actually  has good internet so we have a Netflix account.I was curious  so we watched a few episodes.  I found his junk hoarding oddly familiar. Although he didn't have a Swedish sounding last name :). I did talk to the TV a few times. Actually  so did my wife...If you keep busting chokers and dropping logs hitting a stump  why don't  you make the stump smaller with that big Husky saw? Still better than most reality tv... Too hot to golf, plenty to hot to fish. 

Offline thecfarm

• Senior Member x2
  • If I don't do it,it don't get done
    • Share Post
« Reply #25 on: July 25, 2021, 08:56:49 PM »
I watched the first one. Might get to the others when snow flies. I found it interesting. Don't see much logging, winching that way around here.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

Offline Roxie

• Administrator
  • I'm your huckleberry
    • Share Post
« Reply #26 on: July 26, 2021, 04:58:16 AM »
Iím so glad you brought this subject up. My niece who is a city gal watched this and said, ďwe have to get you Netflix so you can see this!Ē
I told her ďdah, I talk to real deals everyday, why do you think I love the Forestry Forum so much?Ē  She got real excited talking about them fixing equipment and mentioned the toilet seal incident and I told her we have members that would make McGyver look like an amateur (shout out to Mike Belben)!

Her opinion on the difference between this show and others she has watched mirrors exactly what you fellas have said about more realistic, less fake drama, and watching the process from start to finish on getting lumber. 
Say when

Online HemlockKing

• Senior Member x2
  • I'm new!
    • Share Post
« Reply #27 on: July 26, 2021, 05:09:09 AM »
Well there is all kinds of hype on it now. Iíll half to boot the ol tv up some stormy day and watch a few episodes. 
Building the land of my dreams.

Online Old Greenhorn

• Senior Member x2
  • An old coot, still learning.
    • Share Post
    • Woodsman Forest Products
« Reply #28 on: July 26, 2021, 08:42:53 AM »
Well I have never been one to take part in something because there is a lot of hype, and I don't think you are either. :D But I did enjoy it more than those other shows I've seen most of which have too much drama, cursing, and other stuff that actually detracts from the story. 
 Yes, Nebraska, I was talking to the screen also here and there. Anybody who knows what they are looking at should naturally have an instinct to ask questions and wonder why they would do some things that seem to not make sense. I wonder how much of that was as a result of how things were edited and not really a reflection of what happened in the moment.
Tom Lindtveit, Woodsman Forest Products
Oscar 328 Band Mill, Husky 450, 372 (Clone), Mule 3010, and too many hand tools. :) Retired and trying to make a living to stay that way. NYLT Certified.
OK, maybe I am the woodcutter now.
I can work with wood, but I am NOT a Woodworker, yet.

Offline aigheadish

• Full Member x2
  • Tiiiiimmbeeerrr!
    • Share Post
« Reply #29 on: July 26, 2021, 08:57:25 AM »
I wanted to get through the whole series before commenting. It is a pretty good show! The toilet seal trick was amazing!

I would have liked to see more of the actual milling but seeing the felling and retrieving was pretty cool. I had the same question as Nebraska. Why would you just leave those giant stumps sticking up to cause all kinds of problems?

Also, I'd absolutely want nothing to do with the part of the job climbing down the mountainside and hooking those big logs up. I could hang in the drag machine but that climbing and chaining part looks much too tough for me!
New Holland LB75b, Husqvarna 455 Rancher, Husqvarna GTH52XLS, Hammerhead 250, Honda VTX1300 for now and probably for sale (let me know if you are interested!)

Offline Lostinmn

• Full Member x2
  • I was me, but now he's gone.
    • Share Post
« Reply #30 on: July 26, 2021, 10:22:33 AM »
So I gotta ask..
I only watched the 1st esp. They made 2 claims I wonder about. First that big cedar, they said $30k and another was worth $10k.
I know that's crap but really about how much would they be worth?
Reality TV shows in general have a habit of applying final retail values with no regard to costs included.
My background is real estate and commercial appraisal. I lot of shows in that field put up number from a purchase of a flip to the sale price and give the impression they made the difference.  A truer profit picture would of course account for materials, labor and consideration for entrepreneurial profit, but that would be a smaller number that doesn't look as good on TV.  

Could be a similar deal here?

I really did enjoy watching Big Timber though! Really makes our Minnesota trees and hills seem like toy sized models...

Offline Iwawoodwork

• Share Post
« Reply #31 on: July 26, 2021, 10:58:27 AM »
After reading about the show here, I found and watched a couple episodes, some what Hokey, the highlead logging I worked on the hook tender would have skinned the rigging/log back when it came to a hang up rather than going ahead and busting the choker, also after the hangup  if there were more logs on that road, the hook would have gotten the saw and cut the offending stump off at ground level.  Also the first part of the show indicated that the site/setting was fresh felled, wrong,  that wood had been down for several seasons as there were no green or even  brown leaves on the down wood and the 
the bark was falling off some of it.
 I did like seeing the old junk reused and the show as a whole was easier to watch than previous logger shows due to less screaming and ranting.  When I worked in the woods if a boss or hook yelled and/or screamed at the men as shown on some of the shows, they would soon be looking for a new crew and he might even show up for work the next day with a few bruises.

Offline Nebraska

• Senior Member x2
  • Lurked for quite a while, learning !
    • Share Post
« Reply #32 on: July 26, 2021, 04:32:20 PM »
I'm sure to folks who work directly in the logging industry, it's really easy to see better ways and even not want to watch....Just like I don't  watch the incredible Dr Pol for very long either. (Not that he does bad work). Just too close to home.

Offline JoshNZ

• Share Post
« Reply #33 on: July 30, 2021, 03:06:42 AM »
We got it all the way over here in NZ on Netflix even, my partner put it on the other night thinking I'd like it and we binged our way through it in a few nights. Pretty entertaining show

I've taken great delight in narrating my sawmilling work to my partner since. Over dramatizing every hiccup causing me to lose one million dollars per second and stressing that if I don't fix it, we're gonna go broke and have to sell the mill  :D :D.

It's a shame these reality tv shows do over dramatise everything because it's got a great foundation anyway, it's pretty entertaining content on its own without the narrator chiming in at every flat tire saying they could go out of business if it's not fixed.

Will look forward to another season!

Offline terrifictimbersllc

• Senior Member x2
    • Share Post
    • Terrific Timbers LLC
« Reply #34 on: July 30, 2021, 06:31:11 AM »
I enjoyed it, goes into a lot of detail and seemed to me to get most things right.

What I didnt understand was who clearcut the claim in the first place and what was the overall strategy of the govt in that?
DJ Hoover, Terrific Timbers LLC,  Mystic CT Woodmizer Million Board Foot Club member. 2019 LT70 Super Wide 55 Yanmar,  LogRite fetching arch, WM BMS250 sharpener/BMT250 setter.  2001 F350 7.3L PSD 6 spd manual ZF 4x4 Crew Cab Long Bed

Offline Roxie

• Administrator
  • I'm your huckleberry
    • Share Post
« Reply #35 on: July 30, 2021, 07:11:30 AM »
Josh  :D :D :D
Say when

Online Old Greenhorn

• Senior Member x2
  • An old coot, still learning.
    • Share Post
    • Woodsman Forest Products
« Reply #36 on: July 30, 2021, 07:41:52 AM »
....Just like I don't  watch the incredible Dr Pol for very long either. (Not that he does bad work). Just too close to home.
I was catching up on this thread and just re-read this reply in a better light and whole heartedly agree. My wife would watch some of these shows that I couldn't stand to look at because of that. I recall some of the early 'fabrication' shows where they were working in shops similar to where I spent 50 years learning and working and had similar or identical tooling, and the show would make big drama over some 'incredibly difficult challenge' that I knew was easy as heck.... IF the guy knew his equipment and had the technique to execute it. Not his/her fault, they just didn't have the experience, but the show would make it clear that this was 'very difficult, out of the box, never been done before, fancy work' Which, of course, it was not. I could have taught the guy how to do it in a hour. A couple of those things and I was done. Some of the 'Homestead Recue' episodes do this for me also. A lot of drama there and a lot of the subject families should have never left the city life given the planning and prep work they did. I mean who puts their life savings into partially building an off grid home with no plan at all for getting water and no new or current source of income?!
 I just found Big Timber did a fair job of reducing this artificial drama to a point I could watch and enjoy it and ignore the narrator trying to build excitement.
Tom Lindtveit, Woodsman Forest Products
Oscar 328 Band Mill, Husky 450, 372 (Clone), Mule 3010, and too many hand tools. :) Retired and trying to make a living to stay that way. NYLT Certified.
OK, maybe I am the woodcutter now.
I can work with wood, but I am NOT a Woodworker, yet.

Offline JoshNZ

• Share Post
« Reply #37 on: July 30, 2021, 07:49:04 AM »
Suddenly Coleman has a realisation, that may just save the day.. They're still making new tires...

Neh I agree, it's tolerable!

Offline YellowHammer

• Senior Member x2
  • Take Steps to Save Steps
    • Share Post
    • Hobby Hardwood Alabama
« Reply #38 on: July 30, 2021, 08:39:22 AM »
I watched some of the episodes.  I think that any company that uses worn out equipment will have plenty of drama.  Kind of like Swamp Loggers.  I loved that show, but old equipment breaks, production stops, stress is induced, people get mad, good TV.  

The barge thing was driving me crazy.  The barge sinks, itís been sunk for a year, because itís got some holes in it.  Raise the barge, pound in wedges and toilet bowl wax, into a steel hull, go to the expense to float the barge to a different site, put multiple pumps in the barge, constantly refill the too small pumps with gas, swing by and check on them constantly, then put big equipment on the barge, and guess what, the barge still has holes in the bottom so it will sink if not baby sat.  On no, the pumps are out of gas, the barge is gonna sink.  Lots of drama.  Hey, Iíve got an idea, fix the holes, no drama.  They finally did that.  End of barge scenes, no more drama.  

Cut off the stump, quit breaking $20,000 logs.  If they were really $20,000 dollar logs, I guarantee the stump would have been cut off, after the first one.  Or donít cut it and keep filming breaking logs.  Oh no, broke another log.  What should we do? I donít know, letís do nothing and see if the next one breaks...oops, it did it again.  Hey, letís try it again, maybe this one wonít break... Hey the boss is mad, I wonder why?

Plan for the bridge to be closed, itís government, things donít happen overnight or suddenly.  The bridge wasnít closed, it was simply weight restricted, it still would accommodate a half truck load of logs.  So they stopped hauling altogether?  Thatís doubtful.  Letís see, they inspected the bridge, it wonít carry a full load of loads.  So if we canít haul logs, we go out of business.  So how many logs can we haul? About half a load.  So letís not haul anything...and spend all our effort raising a sunken barge and not fixing the leaks.  

I think the most realistic part of the show was the other company owner/guy needing logs, not wanting to put up with these issues, and quickly canceling his contract.  Thatís real life.  

Anyways, I liked the show, itís better than most of the ďreality TV.Ē   To be honest, most TV is so bad, Iíd watch a show of a bunch of guys paving a freeway....I mean, Iíve already watched three seasons of guys hooking up tow trucks on the "Mighty Coq."       
YellowHammerisms:

Take steps to save steps.

If it wonít roll, its not a log; itís still a piece of tree.  Sawmills cut logs, not pieces of trees.

Kiln drying wood: When the cookies are burned, theyíre burned, and you canít fix them.  Donít burn the cookies.

Offline Mooseherder

• Administrator
    • Share Post
« Reply #39 on: August 02, 2021, 07:03:28 PM »
I binge watched until episode 5 or 6 and fell asleep.  Have to find where I left off later for another binge.  :D
Lane Circle Mill
Homemade Bandmill

Share via delicious Share via digg Share via facebook Share via linkedin Share via pinterest Share via reddit Share via stumble Share via tumblr Share via twitter