iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Big Timber on Netflix

Started by nybhh, July 09, 2021, 06:42:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

nybhh

Anyone seen it yet?  Caught the first episode the other night.  Fairly typical for the logging reality shows but one of the "stars" runs a large mill and that operation got a lot more coverage than the other shows with more discussion of grade, clear wood, rot etc. It is filmed in the PNW and they are harvesting and milling huge cedar and fir trees that make large northeast trees look like weeds lol.  Pretty good so far.
Woodmizer LT15, Kubota L3800, Stihl MS261 & 40 acres of ticks trees.

Old Greenhorn

Ha, yeah. I have been meaning to make this very same post. Finished the series a few days ago, then my wife watched it too. I enjoyed this much more than axe men and those others. A LOT less cussin', more of day to day reality and grunt work, not so much overbearing emphasis on how anybody could get killed at any second. I found it to be a bit more balanced than a lot of other shows. An enjoyable watch for me anyway. I won't spoil it for anyone, let's just say I am anxious to see what this guy does for the next season, they set it up pretty good.
 I give it a thumbs up.
Tom Lindtveit, Woodsman Forest Products
Oscar 328 Band Mill, Husky 350, 450, 562, & 372 (Clone), Mule 3010, and too many hand tools. :) Retired and trying to make a living to stay that way. NYLT Certified.
OK, maybe I'm the woodcutter now.
I work with wood, There is a rumor I might be a woodworker.

nybhh

Yea, no spoilers, I'm watching EP2 right now!

Claybraker

I liked it. Reminded me of Swamp Loggers.

thecfarm

I will have to check it out.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

Old Greenhorn

The reason I like this one more than most of the others was because I didn't get the feeling my intelligence was being assaulted by over explaining narrators, and the drama wasn't being played up to a stupid level. They allowed the story to pretty much tell itself. Yes, we all know this is dangerous and challenging work with a lot of risk, but rahter than keep telling the viewer that, they just let the characters show it in the video. There is some good job site humor, but the serious work is clearly shown as the priority. Sure there was a little overplay here and there, but on the whole I found it to bee good and I will certainly watch any following seasons. The video work showed enough of the equipment that you (as  knowledgeable person in the field) could mostly figure out what was really going on in most cases. In some cases there remained, for me, questions about the 'whys' on certain things. I won't spoil anything by telling youi the principal guy in this buys only used equipment and spends time and money getting it working, but sometimesĀ¢Ā¢ he seems to push the limit on what we would call 'working'. ;D
 I 'watched' this while working around the shop and yard, so mostly I listened to it and didn't see a lot of the video (I peeked when it got tense or exciting). I may just go back and actually watch it to see what I missed. I use netflix and podcasts to keep me company while working alone and machines aren't running. Sometimes YouTube also, but I usually sit and watch the FF videos in the evening so I can see them (those folks on there don't talk unless they need to explain something ;D).
Oscar 328 Band Mill, Husky 350, 450, 562, & 372 (Clone), Mule 3010, and too many hand tools. :) Retired and trying to make a living to stay that way. NYLT Certified.

nybhh

I stayed up way too late last night and finished the first season.  I really enjoyed it.  I think what I liked the best is the whole process gets covered from felling, transport, milling and even delivery to the customer.  I think the mill got as much coverage as the logging side of things which is nice and they even refer to the mills by name/brand.

I think most viewers will walk away from this show with a lot more respect and appreciation for what it takes to get finished lumber to the end-user and some of you who mill for customers may find them a little better educated if this show gets popular.

I particularly like the episode where the customer needed 35' clear fir for the sailboat decking and they pretty much followed that wood from stump to boat and a lot of time was spent with the mill operator trying to tease clear wood that long out of logs that weren't as nice as they thought prior to cracking them open.

Despite the "well-worn" nature of much of the equipment as Tom alluded to above, i still found myself with considerable equipment envy throughout much of the show lol.

Old Greenhorn

Yeah, it seems like these details, which make it a better show for folks like us, get missed in most other shows in favor of drama and danger that is largely overblown to the point of being a real turn off, and that is just what I do, turn it off. ;D 
 This show does a pretty good job of letting a knowing eye see more detail.
 I figured you might binge on it. With out blowing it for the other guys, what did you think of the last episode?

nybhh

Are you talking about them wrapping up that claim or where they start talking about the next one with some special "access" issues? Yea, that ought to be interesting lol

Old Greenhorn

Yes, the access issues. He states the equipment he needs to get, and she says 'no way'. :D :D It is a good setup. That was one of the episodes I just listened to, so now I am watching the series again so I can see the stuff I missed. For instance I never saw the young gal he had welding, she was on and off so fast. I also want to watch that final one again.
 So many of these netflix things I start watching then just bail out on because of too much cussing, sex, or gratuitous violence's. This is a rare one to watch again, perhaps the first for me.

nybhh

He is a master problem solver and fun to watch in that regard and it is nice all/most of his employees seem to have a lot of respect for him but it is pretty obvious who the real boss is!  Probably true for most of us  :D :D

Old Greenhorn

Behind every great man there stands a smart woman.

jmouton

that is a pretty cool show,,,  waaaay better then swamp logger s ,,, he sure does know how to billy rig just about anything,,toilet seal and wood shims ,who knew.
lt-40 wide ,,bobcat,sterling tandem flatbed log truck,10 ton trailer, stihl 075,041,029,066,and a 2017 f-350,oh and an edger

Old Greenhorn

Quote from: jmouton on July 11, 2021, 07:10:28 PM
......., he sure does know how to billy rig just about anything,,toilet seal and wood shims ,who knew.
I think he had to have learned that one from @mike_belben  :D ;D

mike_belben

Sawdust in a pail.  

No one turns down a thunder bucket in the middle of a ____ storm.
Praise The Lord

trimguy

I watched 3 or 4 episodes tonight. I like it, interesting.

Raider Bill

So I gotta ask..
I only watched the 1st esp. They made 2 claims I wonder about. First that big cedar, they said $30k and another was worth $10k. 
I know that's crap but really about how much would they be worth?
The First 70 years of childhood is always the hardest.

Old Greenhorn

Well, you know TV and all that. Some of those logs are 60' and 4' on the stump. That's a fair amount of clear cedar for sure. If they are making finished T&G or S4S that would have pretty good value. 30 Grand?, I wouldn't know without knowing the details of course.

nybhh

@Raider Bill
According to the log calculator in the tool box, a 48" x 20' log is 2208 bf international.  Accounting for some taper, I'd guess maybe 6000 bf per 60' log.  I'm seeing retail prices for clear cedar siding right now at around $11-$17 per sf so that would put a 48" x 60' log at around $66,000 retail finished goods assuming $11 per SF.  Since they run their own mill and sell direct to consumers, I could easily see them using retail numbers when estimating a log value.  

Of course all that all won't be clear but I'm seeing mill-select cedar siding at $5-8.40 per sf so even that is $30,000.  Crazy huh!!

Hilltop366

What about the taper in the siding, almost doubles the sf per bf wouldn't it?

nybhh

Quote from: Hilltop366 on July 12, 2021, 04:42:23 PM
Those sf numbers were for Dutch, Channel and Shiplap so I think 1SF per BF is probably pretty close.  I don't recall what profiles they milled on the show but one of the later episodes showed them running some siding through a molder (sp?)

Mountaynman

I have started watching as well in the little time i watch tv but looks like a real deal operation although looks to me like a partial windfall salvage sale have to see if any of the west coasters chime in lots of broken and rotten wood the fact that they r showing the real part of logging and milling is a real plus.

Having worked in all sides of the business from roadbuilding, falling skidding, bucking, piling, loading, hauling, unloading, debarking, splitting, milling, tailing,reloading for delivery i think so far it gives an accurate representation of a family mill from stump to finished product. Maybe people will watch and realize what it takes to make lumber.
Semi Retired too old and fat to wade thru waist deep snow hand choppin anymore

Hilltop366

Quote from: nybhh on July 12, 2021, 04:52:26 PM
Quote from: Hilltop366 on July 12, 2021, 04:42:23 PM
Those sf numbers were for Dutch, Channel and Shiplap so I think 1SF per BF is probably pretty close.  I don't recall what profiles they milled on the show but one of the later episodes showed them running some siding through a molder (sp?)
That makes sense, when I think of wood siding I automatically think of tapered siding for some reason. It would be the most common siding around here.

thecfarm

Have not watched it yet, but I found it. Not inside much at this time of year, might take me a while.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

Nebraska

The Mrs and I went up to the "cabin" this weekend to finish a shed roofing project we had started.   The cabin actually  has good internet so we have a Netflix account.I was curious  so we watched a few episodes.  I found his junk hoarding oddly familiar. Although he didn't have a Swedish sounding last name :). I did talk to the TV a few times. Actually  so did my wife...If you keep busting chokers and dropping logs hitting a stump  why don't  you make the stump smaller with that big Husky saw? Still better than most reality tv... Too hot to golf, plenty to hot to fish. 

Thank You Sponsors!