iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

firewood delivery with a hook lift truck and aluminum bin

Started by jimbarry, June 17, 2022, 05:37:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jimbarry

We set up this rig over the course of this year. Finally rolling with it. Bin is aluminum on steel rails. 13 yd (12x8x4ft). There's a mid gate to split deliveries. Passenger side of the bin is removable for easier access, (mostly meant for loading in pallets of lumber).

20220617 loading the aluminum bin with hooklift - YouTube

20220617 133521 Dumping firewood with a hooklift and a CV515 SFA - YouTube

hedgerow

Jim That's one nice setup. Going to take a couple cord of wood to pay for that. 

jimbarry

With the pandemic marketplace causing shortages for trucks and trailers driving prices up, we took the opportunity to sell our previous two trucks and galv 14K trailer, which were already paid for. The gains we made on those sales almost paid for this new one. So we're on pretty good ground moving forward.

doc henderson

If you get busy (and i hope you do) you could get a second cage and be getting several deliveries ready at a time, or make other work specific attachments for the back, like a log bed as well.
Timber king 2000, 277c track loader, PJ 32 foot gooseneck, 1976 F700 state dump truck, JD 850 tractor.  2007 Chevy 3500HD dually, home built log splitter 18 horse 28 gpm with 5 inch cylinder and 32 inch split range with conveyor powered by a 12 volt tarp motor

B.C.C. Lapp

Look at it that it aint money spent, its money invested.    I can see some drawbacks but more positives with that system.
Listen, or your tongue will make you deaf.

barbender

Too many irons in the fire

jimbarry

Quote from: doc henderson on June 18, 2022, 06:55:51 PM
If you get busy (and i hope you do) you could get a second cage and be getting several deliveries ready at a time, or make other work specific attachments for the back, like a log bed as well.
We're as busy enough as we can manage at the moment. There's only the two of us at this part time gig we have. I don't think it's economical enough to go and get our own logs. With a log bed platform, the truck would only be able to carry 3 cord (a cord weighing 2 ton). It would take up to 3 hours to go and pick up the logs, come back and unload. Depending on pick up location maybe less time. Also having to coordinate with a forester to be at the pile to load. It would be better to pay a trucker $30 a cord to delivery 16 cord than to make five trips in the truck when you think about fuel, time, wear and tear.

cutterboy

Jim, nice system for firewood you have there. I always enjoy your posts and pictures. Keep them comming.
To underestimate old men and old machines is the folly of youth. Frank C.

thecfarm

Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

B.C.C. Lapp

Quote from: jimbarry on June 19, 2022, 06:28:05 AM

. It would be better to pay a trucker $30 a cord to delivery 16 cord than to make five trips in the truck when you think about fuel, time, wear and tear.
Yup. We all try to be as independent as we can and keep the money to pay ourselves  first but sometimes it makes good business sense to pay somebody else and get more done.   
Listen, or your tongue will make you deaf.

jimbarry

I don't mind at all paying for delivery. It puts money in their pocket and it's an additional business connection in the forestry industry. Usually order enough to give them a full day's work, so 2-3 loads depending on the pick up location.

jimbarry

Thank You Sponsors!