iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Home for my D&L Swingblade

Started by gcgrant, March 19, 2007, 03:12:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

gcgrant

It seemed appropriate that the first thing I built from the lumber it cut was a shelter for my saw.  It also has room to store some other tools in the back side.  All the lumber was cut from beetle stained Ponderosa pine that I removed from around my yard.
It was a bit of a challenge to get the doors to swing 270 degrees, I wanted them to lie flat up against the shed wall when they are open.  I had to weld an extension to one side of the hinges.
Works good.

thecfarm

Nice looking building.Good job.I don't have a map in front of me and I should of paid more attention in school,but where is all the snow?Where about are you located in Canada?
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

Nate Surveyor

I like the idea. How long are your tracks?

I'd like to set up about 40 feet of tracks for my Peterson mill. Then, I could mill up to 34' logs, and add a band mill to the SAME set of tracks. Open the log with Mr. Peterson, and then use the band mill to cut it on up. Best of both worlds.

N
I know less than I used to.

pegs1

Quote from: Nate Surveyor on March 19, 2007, 10:37:37 AM

I'd like to set up about 40 feet of tracks for my Peterson mill. Then, I could mill up to 34' logs, and add a band mill to the SAME set of tracks. Open the log with Mr. Peterson, and then use the band mill to cut it on up. Best of both worlds.

N

Now thats a good idea right there.   

gcgrant

Quote from: thecfarm on March 19, 2007, 04:31:43 AM
Nice looking building.Good job.I don't have a map in front of me and I should of paid more attention in school,but where is all the snow?Where about are you located in Canada?
Thanks. We are located about 30 miles north of Kamloops British Columbia in the southern interior of the province. 
We had probably about 18 in. of snow down in the valley until about a week ago.  The higher elevations still have a lot more snow than usual and could cause flooding if we get a sudden, early melt.  I'll be OK as I live well above the flood plane.

gcgrant

Quote from: Nate Surveyor on March 19, 2007, 10:37:37 AM

N
30 feet.  When I first set up the saw I hadn't thought of the building.  The direction of cut is towards the building, so of course the doors have to be closed or I'm filling the shed with sawdust!  It also limits my maximum cut.  Not a big deal next weekend we'll turn the carriage around and cut the other way.

Nate Surveyor

I notice that your unsawn logs are perpendicular to the mill tracks. Do you do this so that you can pick the log you want, turn it, and load it? Or is it a coincidence? (maybe 'cause the goofy logger dumped them that way!)

I'm always intrested in how others do stuff.

Thanks,

Nate

gcgrant

Quote from: Nate Surveyor on March 20, 2007, 01:23:39 PM
I notice that your unsawn logs are perpendicular to the mill tracks. Do you do this so that you can pick the log you want, turn it, and load it? Or is it a coincidence? (maybe 'cause the goofy logger dumped them that way!)

I'm always intrested in how others do stuff.

Thanks,

Nate
I would be that "goofy logger".  Those are logs that I've harvested from around my house that have been killed by mountain pine beetle.  I put the logs there with my John Deere 350 crawler.  The land where the logs are, slopes down to the mill.  Putting them perpendicular to the tracks keeps them from rolling down and bending tracks!!  I lift the logs onto the bunks with chains attached to the blade on the dozer......... George

Nate Surveyor

Sorry George for calling you a goofy logger! I lately rolled a log down from the pile, and it  ran into the track and bent it a little. So, I'd be better off goofy too!

Anyway, thanks for sharing the pics.

Nate

Thank You Sponsors!