iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Can you solve this?

Started by KiwiCharlie, July 09, 2001, 09:09:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

KiwiCharlie

G'day Guys,

Heres an ID question for you guys!  Cant have the tree guys having all the fun!! lol
This photo represnts something for all of us.  Its pretty easy actually but topical none the less.
Any takers?
Cheers
Charlie.

Walk tall and carry a big Stihl.

Tom

It would be just a wild guess, but it looks like bundles of fibers like you may find in a pull rope.

Is it a pull rope?  :-/

KiwiCharlie

G'day Tom,

Good try there, but not the right one.  I can see the connection!  Have another guess.  Think along the lines of something associated with saws (and mills for that matter).More clues tommorrow!
Oh I forgot to mention, I dont have hats for the winner!!
Cheers
Charlie

Tom

gotta be some kind of microphotography........I like the smiley :)

The majority looks like a sponge with fibers (that's fibres to some of you).  could be sawdust or a chip but I wouldn't think the fibers would make it through intact.  Hmmmmmmmm I'll have to cogitate on this a while :)

KiwiCharlie

G'day Tom,
Youre on to it now.....
Keep going.  I dont know what to say without giving it away completely!!
Cheers
Charlie.

Kevin

Charlie, is that your bath water after a good hard day of dancing with your saw?

L. Wakefield

Nibbling away at the edges of this- looks like a freeze-fractured section of something done with a scanning electron microscope. That's how you'd get the 3-d effect of jagged functional bits. it h]also has co,or somehow- and I kind of doubt those are the natural colors. Some of it almost looks like bone- the parts that look like walls. But i can't think of anything in the animal kingdom corresponding to those cool bits dangling out over the walls. So I say it's plant material (definitely organic)- something with cell walls. I'll go back  in and ponder more on the 'stuff'. I know I haven't seen a pic of its like before. Very nice indeed.  :o :o   lw
L. Wakefield, owner and operator of the beastly truck Heretik, that refuses to stay between the lines when parking

KiwiCharlie

G'day Guys,

Oh so close now!  Although I must admit to a bit of red-face at the moment.
When I checked my source for a clue or two for you, I found that the photo is actually from a bird (!) and not a person.  However, having said that, the human equivilent is quite similar looking.  I felt for sure LW would get it straight off.
Okay, here is a picture of a "normal version" of the first photo (also from a bird!! - Man how do I dig my way out of this one!!)
If there are no takers this time I think I will scurry away with my tail between my legs, sit in the corner with my ear muffs on and think long and hard about what Ive put you all through!!!
Cheers
Charlie.

L. Wakefield

This is driving me so nuts- if it's animal, I should know it. But those sections are so regular- almost hexagonal- and the brushy brown stuff in them. Could be a lot of things depending on mag. Lung alveoli, bone, stomach cells- some type of secretory cells with microvilli on them- but it def. looks like sections, and it looks like the brown stuff is INSIDE, not on top. When you give in and answer, can you include mag and preparation techniques? It's been a long time since I messed with this stuff on the experimental level (about 1979) :-/   lw
L. Wakefield, owner and operator of the beastly truck Heretik, that refuses to stay between the lines when parking

CHARLIE

I know! I know!.....It's a very close up shot of the skin of a plucked chicken or one of those New Zealand equivalents. ;D
Charlie
"Everybody was gone when I arrived but I decided to stick around until I could figure out why I was there !"

KiwiCharlie

G'day Guys,

Well if there are no takers today then I will provide the answer tommorrow.  LW, remember to relate what your looking at to a related effect of using saws, mills etc.
In my last post there is quite a big clue, but nobody picked up on it......
Hey Charlie, we do have normal chickens down here you know!!  Although when they grow to about 6' tall they become a bit harder to ride!
Kevin, speaking of bath water, are you allowed in the house after a hard days sawing, without first taking off almost all your clothes at the back door??!!  Im not!
Cheers
Charlie.

Tom

I can think of nothing on a chainsaw that looks like that.....honeycomb cells with something in them... except maybe the air filter.  But from a bird?  

I've put it on my photo software and enlarged it, nothing.  I've shrunk it, nothing.  I've turned it sideways and upside down and it still doesn't look recognizable.  From a Bird??

Does that mean that the picture is of some anatomical feature of a fowl or does it mean that it is an aerial photo?  Must be some part of a bird.

I think I'm going nuts! :-[

KiwiCharlie

G'day Tom,

Dont worry, I wont let you go nuts!  By "from a bird", I mean its a picture (microphotography, like you got)of a peice of a birds anatomy (interior), which has a remarkable likeness to the human equivelent.  If you arent careful with your saws and mills, you may end up with this problem.  Can you hear what Im saying?
By the way have you opened that box yet in your truck that your wife gave you??.....
Cheers
Charlie.

Jeff

Cross view of a ligament or tendon
Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

Tom

That's got to be it Jeff,  I'm going to stand back and see if your right. I was going to say a slice of muscle but the "honeycomb" throws me off.

Yep, I opened the box up and it sure is pretty.  Takes a lot of getting used to.

I'm going nut's anyway...been headed that way for lots of years now.....things like this grease the slide. :D

L. Wakefield

No, it's got to be lung alveoli, and the 'normal- duh, I don't know what the brown stuff is- and the 'abnormal' must have the sawdust equivalent of 'silicosis'. but how does a bird- ostrich, enmu, cassowary or whatever- get that? ::) ::) ::)  lw

KiwiCharlie

G'day Guys,
Well hats off to you all for your guesses.   I shall now provide the answer as promised.
The photos are (drum roll.......) color-enhanced scanning electron micrographs showing normal (the second photo) and damaged (the first photo) inner ear hair cells from the cochlea of birds. These hair cells have been destroyed by excessive exposure to noise (similar damage occurs because of ototoxic drugs like certain antibiotics).

Well there you go.  They actually talk of being able to regenerate the cells, rather than them never coming back once youve lost them.  There could be hope for us yet - but in the mean time - wear your ear muffs!!!
For the interested, here is the link to the site where I found the photos.

http://depts.washington.edu/hearing/Hair%20Cells.html

If you go back through my posts, you should see all the hints I was giving you......
Tom - it didnt grease the slide too much did it??!!
Cheers
Charlie.

Tom

Thanks Kiwi,

That was an interesting excercise.  I liked it.
No, I didn't slide all the way into the pot.  I think sanity may be regenerative too.  I feel a smidgeon of genius coming on. :)

CHARLIE

I'm saying it's the cross section of a chickenbone...er ahhh birdbone. ;D
Charlie
"Everybody was gone when I arrived but I decided to stick around until I could figure out why I was there !"

Thank You Sponsors!