iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Young Guns

Started by timberfaller390, March 27, 2008, 08:54:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

timberfaller390

Hey yall I was just wondering how many guys on the forum are under 25 and run thier own show or are co owners with family or whoever
L.M. Reese Co. Land Management Contractors
Stihl MS390
John Deere 50G excavator
John Deere 5103
John Deere 440 ICD dozer

Arich

28 here, own my own circus, started when I was 24

LOGDOG

I'm 32 and started on my own when I was 17. Can't seem to get it out of my system.

LOGDOG

zackman1801

im 16, im trying real hard to get started. it seems like im close!
"Improvise, Adapt, OVERCOME!"
Husky 365sp 20" bar

Maineloggerkid

17 here. Started my show just after I turned 16. Hired a guy to work with me and after a month bought a 2007 johndeere with a bunch of logging "goodies".
JD 540D cable skidder, and 2 huskies- just right.   

Loggers- Saving the world from the wrath of trees!

timberfaller390

Maine, Zack I was hoping you boys would jump in on this thread. Zack what kind of equipment are you running or looking for for your new business
Stihl MS390
John Deere 50G excavator
John Deere 5103
John Deere 440 ICD dozer

Maineloggerkid

Glad to be kicking around :D  I dont miss much on this forum.

Maineloggerkid

A logging friend of mine in his early thirties said he is gonna look for some lots for me this summer, because I have decided to keep my lot for a " rainy day"

This thread kinda quieted down for a bit, so I figured i'd bring it to the fore-front to see some other people post.

timberfaller390

Ya it did I was hopeing for a better responce. I figured there were more young folks on here than just me, you and zack.
Stihl MS390
John Deere 50G excavator
John Deere 5103
John Deere 440 ICD dozer

beenthere

Thanks to you young'ns for hanging out with us.  Great to hear about your plans and ambitions, and we wish you all the best in your ventures.
We'll learn a lot from you, and just once in awhile, you might pick something up from the old'ns here.. ;D ;D ;D

Also, you will, in the meantime, provide the new young'ns the encouragment to maybe jump into the business, like you are doing.

We're glad you pulled up a stump here, to share your adventures.
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

timberfaller390

Thanks for all the encouragement, I try to learn something from everyone I talk to. I have never met an old man (pardon the use of the word old) that wouldn't tell you "If I'da knowed then what I know now" so I try to listen and learn what they know now and apply it to myself.
Stihl MS390
John Deere 50G excavator
John Deere 5103
John Deere 440 ICD dozer

Coon

Well, I guess it's time for me to chime in here now too.  I guess I could be considered a young'n here too.  I am only 29 and I do run my own show butt... and a really big butt.... it's more of a gong show. :D  I am currently building a bunch of my own equipment that will be suited to my particular needs.  Currently I have a tracked skidder unit and a forwarding trailer in parts.  Everything is in pieces but will be getting welded up as I have time off work and once the white stuff melts. 
Norwood Lumbermate 2000 w/Kohler,
Husqvarna, Stihl and, Jonsereds Saws

Corley5

My piece of advice to you guys is to further your formal education.  Take some business courses, natural resource management courses, work on an associates degree evenings or a couple days a week at your local community college.  It's a good investment in yourself that won't hurt a bit  ;)  :) :)  That said I went to work in the woods while I was still in HS, and college.  I put school on the backburner, went to other occupations and finally back to college, got a bachelors degree and a civil service job while dabbling in the woods on occasion.  Now I'm back in the forest products industry on full time basis and wish I'd have stuck with it right out of high school while continuing my formal education.  I wouldn't trade the education for anything  :) ;D  That's my experience, advice, and 2 cents  :) :)    
Burnt Gunpowder is the Smell Of Freedom

timberfaller390

Wish I had the time for school but between the farm,logging,shoeing horses and  firefighting I have a full plate.Maybe one day...
Stihl MS390
John Deere 50G excavator
John Deere 5103
John Deere 440 ICD dozer

timberfaller390

coon what all are you building? I build most of my equipment.
Stihl MS390
John Deere 50G excavator
John Deere 5103
John Deere 440 ICD dozer

Coon

I am always building something.  :D  Actually I am building a low ground pressure tracked skidder unit with an arch grapple system.  This machine will also pull a forwarding trailer  that I will build too.  This is a prototype system of my own.  Going to be a slow process with working away from home (gone  for 10 home for 5)   :-\
Norwood Lumbermate 2000 w/Kohler,
Husqvarna, Stihl and, Jonsereds Saws

timberfaller390

Coon, are you building the skidder from scratch or are you starting with an old crawler tractor for a base
Stihl MS390
John Deere 50G excavator
John Deere 5103
John Deere 440 ICD dozer

leweee

just another beaver with a chainsaw &  it's never so bad that it couldn't get worse.

PAFaller

I suppose I could add fill in here, names Greg, age 24, and been logging fulltime since the summer I turned 18. Well, I had to take time off for my semesters at college, but still logged and cut firewood on weekends, then went back at it fulltime for the summers. I have seen there are some guys on here from PA, I would like to pick their brains a bit for any advice on getting into the business in this neck of the woods. Its a lot different than the woods on NH and Maine where I cut my teeth logging.
It ain't easy...

Bicboro

I'm 24.  I started when I was 17, a week after I graduated.  My uncle owns the company.  I started grapple skidding on our first chip crew.  I did that for a year till we bought the second chipper, so I skidded on that one till we had a whole crew setup.  I went to forwarding, I did this for about 6 months.  When I was 19 I got my first harvester.  I had a valmet 546h.  I was doing pine stands for a while, but went to well sites and pipelines.  Tell you what, hardwood is pretty hard on the old valmets.  Then August of 04, I got my first new machine.  It was a 1270D timberjack.  Awesome.  I did all hardwood thinning.  I was the only TJ we had for 2 years, then we got a second.  Since I had the experience, I did the hills.  I never left.  Hills are my specialty.  In November 07 I moved to TN and am doing all mountain side.  I believe I'm the only wheeled harvester doing mountain sides.  I am now in charge of our southern operations.  The main part of the company is in northern michigan.  I just got my brand new 1270D ecoIII yesterday!! WOOT!  Now my crew consists of 1270D and 1710D.  We are gonna tear up this mountain like its never been before.  I am ecstatic!  So make sure you guys check out the new pics I get in the next few weeks.  www.thetreeharvester.com   
In depth look into mechanical harvesting.  www.thetreeharvester.com

Kevin

Thanks for the Forestry Forum banner, it's a BEAUT!   8)

thecfarm

Bicboro,that is some nice looking equipment you have there.Have you seen this thread?

https://forestryforum.com/board/index.php/topic,13313.0.html

This is the place to post your pictures.Would be a good addition to the thread.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

timberjack350

yya got myself a timberjack 350 cable skidder and a case skidsteer on tracks,a tigercat 620 d/a with barko 225 slash pro pac circular saw..im 20

timberfaller390

Sounds like your off to a good start.
Stihl MS390
John Deere 50G excavator
John Deere 5103
John Deere 440 ICD dozer

Thank You Sponsors!