iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

heavy equipment or logging

Started by justintimemoto, August 09, 2008, 10:31:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

justintimemoto

im going into 12grade and i go to boces and the class splits in half this year for either logging or heavy equipment......i like bolth but i dont know what part would recommend..
ms660 372xp 455 rancher

2006 suzuki rm 125 for sale

timberfaller390

go with the logging class cause surley there will be some skidder and dozer ops.
L.M. Reese Co. Land Management Contractors
Stihl MS390
John Deere 50G excavator
John Deere 5103
John Deere 440 ICD dozer

Gary_C

I'd say go for heavy equipment. Seems like there are always needs for good equipment operators but the specialized jobs in logging are not always there. Plus if you can run heavy equipment, you can always find a job in logging.

Right now in northern MN the iron mines are gearing up with this new pellet process and the mines are hiring anyone that can run heavy equipment. This has put a real strain on the larger logging operators because the mines can pay a lot more than a logging operator can pay and full benefits too.
Never take life seriously. Nobody gets out alive anyway.

shinnlinger

I will ask...."What do you want to do?  What do you see yourself doing in 5-10 years?

While working in the woods may make you destitute, it may make you much happier than sitting in an excavator or loader for 8 hours.

I would be curious as to what the objective or course outlines are for each also.
WHat is the scope of heavy equipment operating?  how to grease it and change the filters, watch out for the power lines and let it rip?

LOgging might be more interesting and I would think the above would be covered in that also.  IN my opinion, figuring out how to run a dozer or an excavator isn't too hard, but I have never had a course in these things to know what I am missing.  Am I a hazard to society?
Shinnlinger
Woodshop teacher, pasture raised chicken farmer
34 horse kubota L-2850, Turner Band Mill, '84 F-600,
living in self-built/milled timberframe home

kobelcosk35

Ed_K

Like Sinnlinger said, check the course's out. The new equipment ops are trained to run the machine,but you'll find that on a dozer the blade will be run by GPS and go up-down automaticly. Logging to me is more rewarding, but I'm old  :D .
Ed K

Dave Shepard

I say go for the one that you are most interested in, although you have to take job availability into account. I have a lot of experience running all kinds of equipment, it has allowed me to fill in around doing the things I'd rather be doing. A good operator of any kind of equipment, either forestry, or excavation, will always be in demand.

I'd say there is probably a demand for crane operators that don't tip over every other day. Too much of that going on lately.

Dave
Wood-Mizer LT40HDD51-WR Wireless, Kubota L48, Honda Rincon 650, TJ208 G-S, and a 60"LogRite!

woodmills1

Equipment is probably going to offer you more job opportunities and forestry will probably be more interesting/fun.  Maybe you can concentrate on one and "minor" or take extra credit in the other.
James Mills,Lovely wife,collect old tools,vacuuming fool,36 bdft/hr,oak paper cutter,ebonic yooper rapper nauga seller, Blue Ox? its not fast, 2 cat family, LT70,edger, 375 bd ft/hr, we like Bob,free heat,no oil 12 years,big splitter, baked stuffed lobster, still cuttin the logs dere IAM

shinnlinger

AS garyC said

The mines in MInnesota are taking loggers to run the equipment, but I'm not so sure it as easy to take an equipment operator and make him a logger.

I would take the logging course as I bet it will at least expose you to some equipment but the big plus for me would be the proper falling of a trees, forestry management, etc migth come i handy if you ever find yourself owning a couple of acres even if you never make $$$ as a logger.
Shinnlinger
Woodshop teacher, pasture raised chicken farmer
34 horse kubota L-2850, Turner Band Mill, '84 F-600,
living in self-built/milled timberframe home

justintimemoto

well i decided to take logging because you dont sit in the class room as much and  i think u get your certifed logger thingy
ms660 372xp 455 rancher

justintimemoto

ms660 372xp 455 rancher

Ed_K

certified logger thingy sounds good to me  ;) . Awhile ago i attended a logger meeting here a ma. and one of the director / sawmill owner mentioned that the person who would be willing to invest in the time to get certified and keep up with the training, would be the person who will have work in the future.
I think you will be happy in your decision, i find a new job every morning and its refreshing  8) .
Ed K

rebocardo

Go heavy equipment!

Pay is much better and in many states you have to be certified to run them. Not unheard of to make $35-$50 an hour even in a bad economy. Plus, if you ever decide to join the military, you might be able to get a sign-up bonus for the skills.

Thank You Sponsors!