iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Best type of spark plugs for chainsaws

Started by tbrickner, April 10, 2011, 10:56:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

realzed

I had read about a brand of plug that was somewhat known for the electrode tips occasionally breaking off to create havoc inside especially chainsaw cylinders..
That would obviously make quite a mess before one of those bits finally got ejected or wedged into the squish area!  
I thought it was the NGK brand - but I'm not sure now - it's been a while since I read about it.
Seems to me that was the reason why I went on a mission a few years back to try and find appropriate Bosch plugs for all of my small engine equipment..
I'll have to try a Google it for a follow up  

barbender

I had an NGK plug do just that in my Jonsered 2171, pretty well destroyed the piston and cylinder. 
Too many irons in the fire

Sauna freak

Nagasakis in all my small engines except the outboard.  I still prefer the champions for backtrolling there.  Splitfires ran really good in the 15 Johnson, but the 25 Merc hates them.
Sauna... like spa treatment, but for men

sawguy21

I like NGK, never had a problem with them and they are readily available. I remember having problems with Champion, at least one out of every box would not fire or would quit in the first ten minutes but that was many years ago. I hope quality control has improved. Bosch is also very good but I seldom see them outside the bike and snowmobile shops.
old age and treachery will always overcome youth and enthusiasm

barbender

I would never use a Champion plug on purpose. They used to let me down all the time in ATVs.
Too many irons in the fire

Real1shepherd

Champion was a great plug company, once upon a time....nothing better. Then sometime in the late 70's they started to have reliability issues. I starting running Autolite plugs in my rigs without even a burp.

Original German Bosch plugs in my saws would last so long that I just replaced them as a matter of course...not from failure.

Landscape changed and I went to NGK in my small engines. Thought I got a bad lot when they were slowly going bad in my J'reds 80. Turned out to be a coil issue, but in the interim, I found an original lot of NOS German Bosch plugs on eBay. So that's what I'm using in my saws.

I can't see how a spark plug could 'age' not being used. 

Kevin

Thank You Sponsors!