iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

A Christmas card thought

Started by Jim_Rogers, November 15, 2011, 06:33:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jim_Rogers

A high school classmate of mine, lost a son in Afghanistan several years ago.

She has posted this Christmas card thought on her face book page:

QuoteWhen filling out your Christmas cards this year, take ONE CARD and SEND it to this address:
A Recovering American Soldier
c/o Walter Reed Army Medical Center
6900 Georgia Avenue, NW
Washington, DC 20307-5001.

If we pass this on and everyone sends one card, think of how many cards these soldiers could get to bring up their spirits!
Feel free to repost.
This is a wonderful thing to do.... Thanks, Betty.

I don't usually do Christmas cards but I'm going to see if my wife has one extra I can send in this year.

Jim Rogers
Whatever you do, have fun doing it!
Woodmizer 1994 LT30HDG24 with 6' Bed Extension

jdtuttle

Have a great day

Jim_Rogers

Unfortunately I have been made aware that this will not work.

It has been posted here on this forum before.

And there are other solutions that will work, instead see links below.

Here is what was posted before:
Here is the story behind it:
Address mail carefully when sending cheer to soldiers
By Kat Bergerron, McClatchy Newspapers

No one can fault the sentiment behind sending a holiday card to "A Recovering American Soldier." But don't do it.
The card or package will be returned to you because the U.S. Postal Service, with an eye on potential mayhem, has rules about anonymous mail for the military.
Thanks to the Red Cross and Pitney Bowes, however, you can address your greeting card to "Holiday Mail for Heroes," and your appreciative message will get to an active duty or armed forces veteran.
"Heroes" is a legitimate program sponsored by the American Red Cross and Pitney Bowes, and your holiday greetings will be delivered. But before addressing your card, perhaps you'd like to know the story behind "A Recovering American Soldier."
For the second year, a well intended but incorrect e-mail is making the rounds suggesting, "when doing your Christmas cards this year, take one card and send it to this address: A Recovering American Soldier c/o Walter Reed Army Medical Center."
The address supplied is a street number for Walter Reed in Maryland, where many wounded from the Iraq and Afghanistan wars are treated. Even if anonymous mail to soldiers weren't illegal, the medical center doesn't have the staff to handle all the American goodwill.
"We don't know how the e-mail got out last year or how it got out again this year," Army SPC. Jared Larive told the Sun Herald in Biloxi, Miss., this week.
Larive is a young soldier receiving care at Walter Reed who volunteers for the Red Cross. He often fields questions about the misleading e-mail and his response is to send people to www.redcross.org/holiday mail to read how to address it correctly and even to download a card.
Red Cross has teamed with Pitney Bowes – that's the company that brings us postage machines for the "Holiday Mail for Heroes" initiative. A similar 2007 effort, which didn't receive this publicity and was up against the incorrect "Unknown Soldier" e-mail, still garnered 600,000 delivered cards.
This year, they've expanded it to include the entire military family, active duty and veterans, and they've set a goal of 1 million cards.
"This season of giving doesn't mean it has to be something material, and that's what these 1 million cards are about," said Paige Roberts, executive director of the Red Cross Southeast Mississippi chapter.
"We can help spread cheer and the message that there are Americans who support them and appreciate their past and present service. By sending a card, you can make a difference."
Bill Brent, Roberts' counterpart in the Mississippi Gulf Coast chapter and dozens of other chapters across the country are getting out the word.
"From the front lines to the home front, for more than 125 years, the Red Cross has provided care and assistance to service members, their families and veterans, and this is a continuation of that," said Brent.
Jon Love, Pitney Bowes' president of government solutions, believes the holiday initiative helps Americans "extend their well wishes and gratitude to the heroes who serve and protect our country."
end quote.

There are other sites like: http://www.letssaythanks.com/ and www.give2thetroops.org that can do it as well.

I hope you find this information helpful.

Jim Rogers
Whatever you do, have fun doing it!
Woodmizer 1994 LT30HDG24 with 6' Bed Extension

beenthere

Jim
Maybe modify your first post to add this change that you found.
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

paul case

I was going to say...
My youth group at church did this 2 years ago. All 40 cards they had made were returned on Dec 28 or so.
It is a good thought to remember our service men and women on this holiday. Thanks for the update on the address, but I will not try it that way again. We have plenty of local folks who spend Christmas alone who would really enjoy our cards.
PC
life is too short to be too serious. (some idiot)
2013 LT40SHE25 and Riehl edger,  WM 94 LT40 hd E15. Cut my sawing ''teeth'' on an EZ Boardwalk
sawing oak.hickory,ERC,walnut and almost anything else that shows up.
Don't get phylosophical with me. you will loose me for sure.
pc

thecfarm

Most Veterans organizations are sending "packages" Check with them to send a card or items. It's too bad we all can't just do this,but all mailing must be approved before being opened.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

Thank You Sponsors!