iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Kickback

Started by jargo432, April 20, 2014, 11:27:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

beenthere

A google of that photo attributes it to a dead Paul Walker.
But regardless, doubt it is from a chainsaw kickback. Just IMO.

It is a photo attributed to a lot of different accidents.

I guess for "impact" of the subject, whatever it may be.

Anyone have any better resources of what was the cause?
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

HolmenTree

Looked like a saw cut from kick back to me and I saw a few bad ones  similar to that.
One in real life and the other in a picture from a training course.
Good teaching tool, just like the graphic car accidents you saw as a kid when taking your driver's training.

Making a living with a saw since age 16.

HolmenTree

I added to my last post. :P

Oliver1655

The photo came up when I googled chainsaw kick back images.  I can't vouch it from a kickback but it sure looks like it could be to me.

I paged back to take another glance at the photo & found it has been removed.  I'm curious as to why.  Was it too graphic?
John

Stihl S-08s (x2), Stihl S10 (x2), Jonsered CS2139T, Husqvarna 338XPT California, Poulan Microvibe XXV, Poulan WoodShark, Poulan Pro 42cc, McCulloch Mini-Mac 6 (x2), Van Ruder Hydraulic Tractor Chainsaw

Mooseherder

Quote from: Oliver1655 on April 30, 2014, 08:23:26 PM
The photo came up when I googled chainsaw kick back images.  I can't vouch it from a kickback but it sure looks like it could be to me.
I paged back to take another glance at the photo & found it has been removed.  I'm curious as to why.  Was it too graphic?

Yes, way too graphic and it did generate some complaints in the short time it was up.  Also, you need to own the picture content that you're posting.   Someone could take issue with you posting their property and make a big deal about it.   

Oliver1655

Thanks for the feed back.
John

Stihl S-08s (x2), Stihl S10 (x2), Jonsered CS2139T, Husqvarna 338XPT California, Poulan Microvibe XXV, Poulan WoodShark, Poulan Pro 42cc, McCulloch Mini-Mac 6 (x2), Van Ruder Hydraulic Tractor Chainsaw

CTYank

Only time I've encountered kickback was when the bar tip hit a limb behind the one I was cutting. Totally out of sight back there. No suspicion of a problem until the chain dug in, kicked the brake in, and came to a stop. All in about a millisecond.

No parts of me were in the "plane of the chain" so the threat was minimal, and yes I had a good grip, but it was still a serious attention-getter. Like "know where your kids are?" it's a really good idea to know where your bar-tip is at all times. Applies to tilling dirt, too. Lesson driven further home.
'72 blue Homelite 150
Echo 315, SRM-200DA
Poulan 2400, PP5020, PP4218
RedMax GZ4000, "Mac" 35 cc, Dolmar PS-6100
Husqy 576XP-AT
Tanaka 260 PF Polesaw, TBC-270PFD, ECS-3351B
Mix of mauls
Morso 7110

HolmenTree

Also the longer the bar the greater the kickback energy is.
Longer bar means more leverage applied to your grip at the handles from the  torque produced at the bar tip.

Thank You Sponsors!