iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Portable Sawmill or Not Some help please

Started by Anyducks, March 13, 2015, 04:03:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Anyducks

I've a custom woodworking business.  What I like to call unique items.
Turnings, boxes, special orders (bars, display cases, etc...), antique repairs, etc...

most items have unique figures or special woods.
I live in the Pacific North West.  I receive many hardwood logs and drop hardwood trees.
(hemlock, oak, ash, maple, walnut, cedar, cherry, pear, and apple).
up to this point i've used an Alaskan Sawmill with some good results.  But, the preparation for use
from the Alaskan Sawmill is 20-40% waste.  I've several land owners that want me to come and
drop trees and/or take logs.  It's more than the Alaskan can handle (or it me using the Alaskan).

My need is mainly planks  4/4 x 12" x 6'  (6' fits my kiln)
Blocks for turning 6" x 6" x 6" .

I use 2,000 - 4,000 bf a year.

there are a couple of  hardwood lumber providers. Their wood is OK but, still has a greater waste to
prepare than I like.  4/4 lumber yard hard wood I plane and sand to 3/4 to use.  Getting out the warp and uneven cuts on a plank.  Also, not a lot of figure in the wood so, while OK, not really what I want.

So is a sawmill going to help? Suggestions?
I've land and room but, being portable is important, too.

Thanks

drobertson

for the volume you have mentioned this is a hard call, you will surely satisfy this quota from a weeks or two of sawing with a band mill.  The waste should be minimal for certain, If you are in the wood working biz then I would say go for it.  I just sawed up a small log with lots of character.  Not sure a CSM would've got the return,  It will not be a quick pay back but a pay back for sure if you are doing finish products,
only have a few chain saws I'm not suppose to use, but will at times, one dog Dolly, pretty good dog, just not sure what for yet,  working on getting the gardening back in order, and kinda thinking on maybe a small bbq bizz,  thinking about it,

customsawyer

For that small of amount why don't you hire a portable band mill to come in and cut it for you? You won't have the expense and up keep of owning a band mill yet still get the benefits from one. Then hang onto your chainsaw mill for those rare occasions when you need it. I am not trying to talk you out of one because if you got one you would find more use for it than you think.
Two LT70s, Nyle L200 kiln, 4 head Pinheiro planer, 30" double surface Cantek planer, Lucas dedicated slabber, Slabmizer, and enough rolling stock and chainsaws to keep it all running.
www.thecustomsawyer.com

Ianab

Thought about a Swingblade mill / slabber? Peterson or Lucas.

Not the cheapest option, but the most portable and versatile. In your line for business being able so saw out accurate live edge bar and table tops from walnut or cedar might be a good thing.  I'm guessing you also have access to some larger logs? Basically you can pretty much cut anything / anywhere.

Of course that amount of wood might only be a couple of days sawing if you have some good logs, but as you saw, if you have the mill, logs and sawing jobs will tend to find you.
Weekend warrior, Peterson JP test pilot, Dolmar 7900 and Stihl MS310 saws and  the usual collection of power tools :)

justallan1

I don't know what you pay for wood when you have to, but if you saved a buck a foot to saw it yourself you could pay for a pretty nice manual mill in a year or so if all you cut was the 2,000-4,000 bf that you mentioned.
I'd also look at possible sales to other craftsmen in your area any extra wood that may be above the amount that you need. If you are sawing turning blanks out of the woods you mentioned you could easily make some decent money at the same time you are sawing yours with very little extra effort.

Nomad

Quote from: customsawyer on March 13, 2015, 05:14:42 PM
For that small of amount why don't you hire a portable band mill to come in and cut it for you? You won't have the expense and up keep of owning a band mill yet still get the benefits from one. Then hang onto your chainsaw mill for those rare occasions when you need it. I am not trying to talk you out of one because if you got one you would find more use for it than you think.
I'm thinking for that little bit this is the best idea.  I'd suggest trying this first, and if it seems like you'd really like to do it yourself you'd already know what you're getting in to.
Buying a hammer doesn't make you a carpenter
WoodMizer LT50HDD51-WR
Lucas DSM23-19

Percy

Just get the sawmill.........you  want one  ;D ;D ;D
GOLDEN RULE : The guy with the gold, makes the rules.

Magicman

There are several sawyers in your general are.  @redbeard for example.
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

Anyducks

Thanks for the comments and referencing  Redbeard. (about 3 hours one way.  )

I've checked craigslist for notices for milling logs.  Is there a better source for milling?

thanks

Magicman

Click on the Members Map above.  There should be several sawyers fairly close to you. 
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

mad murdock

Linn Lumber sells parts or kits for you to build your own. They are in Sweet Home. Or get a better CSM to speed up set up and milling with your chainsaw. A Logosol Farmers M8 or the regular M8 would do very nicely. A user manual BSM would be good also.
Turbosawmill M6 (now M8) Warrior Ultra liteweight, Granberg Alaskan III, lots of saws-gas powered and human powered :D

redbeard

Welcome anyducks ! Iam sure there's mills close too you.
Whidbey Woodworks and Custom Milling  2019 Cooks AC 3662T High production band mill and a Hud-son 60 Diesel wide cut bandmill  JD 2240 50hp Tractor with 145 loader IR 1044 all terrain fork lift  Cooks sharp

Thank You Sponsors!