iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Detroit 53 series fuel pump

Started by David-L, May 18, 2015, 06:52:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

David-L

My fuel pump is weeping and is in need of a rebuild. Where does one get a rebuild kit for them and what does it involve. Seems like a pretty simple set up run off a key on the gov shaft.  I have heard some discussion about this pump before on here but not where to get the parts for it. It weeped on my starter and really messed with the insides and have a new starter and want to cure this. Have a make shift diaper on the starter for the meanitme. thank you.
In two days from now, tomorrow will be yesterday.

treeslayer2003

i saw one on ebay a while back. check with a detroit dealer. i always just got a new pump......be sure and get a new drive coupling while your there.

OntarioAl

Al Raman

David-L

Looks like a LH and a RH pump. cant' really see the arrow stamped in the pump, My blower is on the left side when sitting on the machine and the pump is on the right when sitting on it?

stoneeaglefarm

try pb&h in Antrim NH 1-603-588-3005

ga jones

It's just a seal and a shaft there 50.00 to have rebuilt. The seal goes in 2 different ways depending on weather the tank is above or below the engine. I have one in stock if you can't find one locally.
380c timberjack c4 treefarmer international trucks jonsered saws. Sugi hara bars d31 komatsu 350 tj grapple

jwilly3879

treeslayer2003

Quote from: ga jones on May 18, 2015, 08:34:06 PM
It's just a seal and a shaft there 50.00 to have rebuilt. The seal goes in 2 different ways depending on weather the tank is above or below the engine. I have one in stock if you can't find one locally.
in stock? care full, we may wipe your spare parts out lol.

OntarioAl

ga jones
You seem to have a lot of experience with the Detroit fuel pumps. In your opinion is there any particular reason the seals fail?
I have operated various Detroits over the years other than clean fuel and regular oil changes (and never getting them air locked) I can honestly say I have never had one fail on me. (yet)
thanks
Al
Al Raman

ga jones

Lots of hours on the ones I've changed. I've only had to change my own once. I work on other machines for friends . The biggest problem is letting the weep hole get clogged with junk.
380c timberjack c4 treefarmer international trucks jonsered saws. Sugi hara bars d31 komatsu 350 tj grapple

David-L

I have a diaper on it made from a old plastic kids sled and will get a pump when I can. if looking at the pump from the front of the machine is it a LH or a RH pump. I cannot see any arrow or stamped letters and really want to keep running now that my starter is fixed. I went with a complete rebuild of my old starter and tried it today and it is good to go. The starter guy said the only thing that was not new was my old housing and nose. Thanks for the help all.

ga jones

David-L

Thank You Sponsors!