iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Ticks, ticks n more ticks

Started by crowhill, October 15, 2017, 01:20:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

crowhill

Been watching a spot on my inner thigh for a few days, started getting red this morning. Took a trip to the hospital to find it was an embedded tick. Doc worked it out, gave two horse sized antibiotic pills and sent me on my way. My neighbors dog had over 50 ticks on it after a walk around their field yesterday! It's crazy here in Vermont with deer ticks this fall. For me, it was the first one I've had, that I know of!
TimberKing B-20, Kubota M-4900 w/FEL with tooth bar, hyd thumb and forks, Farmi winch, 4 chain saws.

VT-Woodchuck

I hunt in Benson and this spring I had 40 ticks, one day during turkey season. I just returned from getting camp ready for deer season and no ticks - go figure! But, yes they are terrible.

thecfarm

I thought I was going to have a bad year. I forgot how many I found the first part of summer. Have not seen many,really none, the last part of summer. Lucky!!!!!!!
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

bandmiller2

I don't know why but this summer has been good for ticks and skeeters, just had one tick this spring. I wish they were bigger or brightly colored, I never find them until they start to itch. Frank C.
A man armed with common sense is packing a big piece

breederman

I had an awfull time with them this spring. I lost count how many i found on me, then none all summer until yesterday.
Together we got this !

bags

Must be an advantage to live'in above 9000'--- I've only found 4 ticks up here in 30 years.

Magicman

I will not be looking for ticks bags, and maybe some day I will pass through your area again. This time we will be traveling I25 & Hwy 50, so I will wave as I circle around you. 
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

crowhill

MM, you better check your camper after traveling thru the NE this year. They probably have moved inside by now after hitching a ride from up here!
TimberKing B-20, Kubota M-4900 w/FEL with tooth bar, hyd thumb and forks, Farmi winch, 4 chain saws.

Wudman

One word.......PERMANONE.  It makes life bearable.

Wudman
"You may tear down statues and burn buildings but you can't kill the spirit of patriots and when they've had enough this madness will end."
Charlie Daniels
July 4, 2020 (2 days before his death)

nativewolf

Quote from: Wudman on October 16, 2017, 11:38:55 AM
One word.......PERMANONE.  It makes life bearable.

Wudman

Yep any type of pyrethrin is the solution.  Not expensive, virtually bullet proof, just follow directions. 
Liking Walnut

Engineer

I haven't seen a single tick since late spring and I have been out in the woods a lot more than usual this summer and fall.  Hope they are in hiding for the time being.  Hard frost last night, I would imagine no more problems until spring.  Have had Lyme before, no picnic.

Wudman

Quote from: Engineer on October 17, 2017, 04:30:24 PM
Hard frost last night, I would imagine no more problems until spring.  Have had Lyme before, no picnic.

We had some brutal temps (at least for Virginia) here a couple of winters ago.  We had a week of sub zero weather.  I was cruising the week following that spell.  It was about 45 degrees (Fahrenheit).  I sat down in a nice sunny spot on a power line right of way.  When I looked down, there was a tick making his way up my pants leg.  They must have antifreeze in their systems.

Wudman
"You may tear down statues and burn buildings but you can't kill the spirit of patriots and when they've had enough this madness will end."
Charlie Daniels
July 4, 2020 (2 days before his death)

Dleavitt

I walked in my Sugarworks last week and pulled over 50 off my retriever ! Bad here in Addison county

nativewolf

Bayer's seresto dog collar is amazing, others have gotten much better too.  Lasts 9 months and is about $50, for me it was worth not having a dog covered in ticks every day.  If the collar is on right, pretty darn snug, you won't have ticks or fleas.
Liking Walnut

bandmiller2

Deer ticks are also called winter ticks. Temps can be real low but the minute it get above freezing their back in business. Frank C.
A man armed with common sense is packing a big piece

Thank You Sponsors!