iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

How to make wedges on bandmill???

Started by Bibbyman, August 14, 2002, 07:47:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bibbyman

Anyone got a clever way of making oak wedges on a bandmill?

The sample is 4" wide, 10" long and 1" thick.
Wood-Mizer LT40HDE25 Super 25hp 3ph with Command Control and Accuset.
Sawing since '94

Tom

A bandmill,since gone out of business here, was supplying wedges to a contractor for the Railroad who put derailed trains back on the tracks.  I think they were actually part of the RR but operated under a separate company for some reason

The man with the sawmill made a jig for 4x4's  that allowed him to cut 18" long, 2"x4" wedges.  It was a board with 2" strips nailed to it to hold the 18" 4x4's at the proper angle. The left side had a 2x4 screwed to it for the full length and the right side used a 2x4 laying on its side on top of the bottom board so that the clamp could push it up against the four or five 4x4's. He used the little clamp extension that Wood Mizer provides.

He would cut 4 or 5 blocks at a time, making 8 or 10 wedges.  Then they were stacked on a pallet and later wrapped in shrink wrap plastic kinda like Saran wrap.

Now, I may have missed something because my description is from a 3 year old remembrance of the jig as I saw it as a spectator.

He also cut 1" wedges and 6" wedges and various sizes of Blocks with other jigs.  The blocks were easy. :D  He used a chainsaw.

Kevin

QuoteShingle and Lap Sider
              Save big money on shingles and siding!

If you're thinking about building your own house, or any
              building, you've got to have an SLR! It's designed to
              accurately cut wood shingles and tapered lap siding on
              your mill— saving you thousands at the lumberyard. The
              rugged SLR frame clamps directly to your Wood-Mizer
              mill bed, and it securely holds and pivots wood beams
              and blocks to make these specialized cuts. A single lever
              easily pivots all six blocks to the taper you want when
              you're making shingles. And a small adjustment allows
              the same lever to pivot a beam if cutting tapered lap
              siding. Check-out the price of cedar shakes, and you'll
              see what a bargain the SLR really is!

For the LT15, an Adapter Kit is needed to use the SLR.
              (Minimum 3 bed sections required.)

Tom

The guys I know who purchased one of these used it once and laid it down.  It got covered up and they can't find it. It's not been a high use item as much as they thought it would.  I'll bet one could be acquired used from folks in the same fix.......if they can find it. :D

Jeff

Richard, the guy that sawed the cedar log I got from Cedareater has one. He knocked a bunch of weeds down so he could show it to me. :)
Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

C_Miller

I hand mine on the side of the garage and spray it with WD-40 to keep it loose.  Haven't used it for shingles but It did pay for itself when I had a customer want some larch sawn into clapboards.

Yeah, I know, but he let it dry a couple months and screwed it with brass screws. It is gorgeous.

I'd probably use it a lot more but I say clapboards but they say v****l (can't bring myself to spell it) siding. oh well
CJM

Bibbyman

Yea,  I'd guess the WM shingle maker would work.  But you see,  I done got lots of oak 1x4s air dried that are slow movers.  It sure would be nice to cut them up and use them.
Wood-Mizer LT40HDE25 Super 25hp 3ph with Command Control and Accuset.
Sawing since '94

sawyerkirk

I worked for weeks on a way to do it on the woodmizer, and finally gave up and bought a Dewalt 12" "sliding" chop saw. We can do up tp 12" wedges.

Bro. Noble

Slickest setup I ever saw for cutting wedges was on a band resaw.  They screwed little crosspieces (in pairs ) to the feed belt-----one backed up the block and the other held it up to get the angle.  It put them out continuously as fast as a guy could put them on the belt.

Noble
milking and logging and sawing and milking

ARKANSAWYER

Bibbyman,
  I forgot to tell you that it looks like 1 foot is as short as you can make on the shingle attatchment.
ARKANSAWYER
ARKANSAWYER

Thank You Sponsors!