iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Pictures of your figured gunstocks

Started by Walnut Beast, November 15, 2020, 01:10:15 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

tule peak timber

Quote from: kantuckid on November 25, 2020, 12:27:11 PM
I bought a few rifles from a man I once knew in KS, named J. B. Hart (he managed the Topeka city bus operation) when he was in his nineties and had one son, not a shooter so he was divesting himself of firearm related possessions from his lifetime as a shooter hunter. One rifle I bought and later sold (stupidly at that!!!) was a Mashburn .270 Supermag with a French walnut stock. In ~ the 1950's Mashburn rifles were quite a thing and I recall several calibers built off the necked 300 belted cases.
In todays world i suppose they are worth their weight in gold. It had very nice wood indeed as they were one off built rifles.  
Is "Claro" walnut the same species?
No, Claro walnut is Juglans Hindsii. Claro is native to out west(mostly Oregon and California). Very different from Eastern "Black Walnut "
  The English( French, White ) out west here are grafted types that bear better commercially viable nuts on top of the native rootstock. Some of the "English" varietals are more or less "antiques" and not planted (grafted) anymore- like Franquette  and more valuable for stocks and furniture. Here is a truck load of 65 year old Franquette and below a load of Claro.  WOC

persistence personified - never let up , never let down

doc henderson

fantastic stuff oh WOC!  took me a minute!   :D :D :D
Timber king 2000, 277c track loader, PJ 32 foot gooseneck, 1976 F700 state dump truck, JD 850 tractor.  2007 Chevy 3500HD dually, home built log splitter 18 horse 28 gpm with 5 inch cylinder and 32 inch split range with conveyor powered by a 12 volt tarp motor

Walnut Beast

Turkish walnut 😂. Appropriate to talk about around Turkey 🦃 Day. Some of the things that make Turkish walnut prized for Gunstocks is the climate that they grow, the turning characteristics and tight pores they have. Trees that are harvested are over 300 years old

Larry

WB, beautiful wood and great work on that gun!

I was born and raised in Kansas City.  Dad was a part time gunsmith specializing in long range accurate rifles.  I can remember trips to Warsaw to pick out stocks both at Bishops and R.F.  The wonderful smells and the great selection of stocks was really interesting to me as a young boy.  I still have some of the catalogs tucked away someplace.

In later life I bought a farm just south of St. Joseph Mo.  That is home to what is known today as American Walnut.  They have went through several re-organizations over the years.  At one time they were producing most of the stocks for Remington.  They also sliced veneer.  A large business with a huge kiln capacity.  Although big, they did business with us little guys and treated us right.  I sold them lots of walnut flooring cants that they turned into flooring for the European market.

A few miles south east is another walnut mill called One Family Hardwoods.  Another mill that went though re-organizations.  I remember them dipping the ends of walnut stocks into a barrel of paraffin heated over an open fire.  Not for sure where they sent there stocks but they cranked out a lot at times.

Larry, making useful and beautiful things out of the most environmental friendly material on the planet.

We need to insure our customers understand the importance of our craft.

Larry

I found a picture of one rifle my Dad made I suppose 50-60 years ago.  270 which was the cartridge of the time I suppose.  Scope has external adjustments.  Double set trigger.  Gun still holds moa (barely) and way to heavy for me to carry anyplace. :D

Larry, making useful and beautiful things out of the most environmental friendly material on the planet.

We need to insure our customers understand the importance of our craft.

Walnut Beast

Walnut Beast

Very interesting Larry. Thanks for sharing that story 

sawguy21

I have not seen anything like that. What is the purpose of the double trigger (I'm not a gun guy).
old age and treachery will always overcome youth and enthusiasm

Tacotodd

@sawguy21 , here goes.

double "set" trigger became popular in the old (1600ish) muzzleloader days. One (heavy pull weight) is normal carry because you you didn't exactly have a modern, as we now know it safety. The firearms would still function. When you had the time to make your shot count such as a little farther away target, you pressed one trigger and in turn it made the other trigger lighter. That process works to make your final pull on your trigger a "hair" trigger.

I hope I've answered your question.  :P
Trying harder everyday.

petefrom bearswamp

My only figured stock is on my Ithaca 37 16 ga, sorry no pic
Regarding the preference issue, my pre 64 model 70 carbine is walnut badly beat up as I have tripped and fallen several times, the last one being 3 weeks ago and required a half hour at the bench.
My Benelli R1  is composite
I have used both but the 70 much more.
The Benelli is as homely as sin but shoots pretty good fro a semi auto.
the 70 dropped a small doe yesterday,
I agree with a former post that placement is paramount when hunting game and imo moa is not required as my shooting at game seldom exceeds 100 yards.
Kubota 8540 tractor, FEL bucket and forks, Farmi winch
Kubota 900 RTV
Polaris 570 Sportsman ATV
3 Huskies 1 gas Echo 1 cordless Echo vintage Homelite super xl12
57 acres of woodland

sawguy21

old age and treachery will always overcome youth and enthusiasm

Walnut Beast

On some guns they will have two different caliber barrels paired together. Example a shotgun/rifle combo with two triggers 

barbender

Most stuff I shoot in MN a 6 moa rifle would be completely sufficient. Probably overkill😂 I don't know if I've ever shot a deer over 50 yards away in MN. Then I go out West and all of the sudden people are pointing and telling you to shoot stuff that it 400 yards away...marksmanship and understanding your rifle definitely comes into play!
Too many irons in the fire

SawyerTed

It's very much that way in this region of NC, 50-80 yards is typical for harvesting a deer here.   Down east there are places 200-250 yards or more is feasible.  Mostly I shoot a .270 or 30-30 sighted in at 100 yards.

When hunting where I need longer shots a shoot a .308 sighted for those conditions.

The photo is of my Henry 30-30.  Not a greatly figured stock but a sweet rifle!
Woodmizer LT50, WM BMS 250, WM BMT 250, Kubota MX5100, IH McCormick Farmall 140, Husqvarna 372XP, Husqvarna 455 Rancher

Walnut Beast

Very nice! I think it looks absolutely beautiful 👍

Thank You Sponsors!