iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Need some alternator belt help

Started by Nomad, December 03, 2012, 05:51:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Nomad

Got an LT50 that shredded the alternator belt today.  Anybody ever changed one?  Any big problems with that?  Other than finding the belt that is.  If possible I really need to find a belt and fix this tomorrow.
     I don't have it all apart yet, but the alternator seems fine.  I'm sure something caused this, but I haven't found it yet.
Buying a hammer doesn't make you a carpenter
WoodMizer LT50HDD51-WR
Lucas DSM23-19

woodsy

My alt belt got shredded on a job  2 1/2 hrs from home.  That's when I learned that I left my manual at home. I was able to get a proper replacement belt at a NAPA just down the road from the job site. It was a super easy fix on the fly and the belt didn't cost too much either.
LT40HDG38, Logrite T36 log arch, 42 hp Kubota, 6 foot cross cut saw, lots of axes and not enough time

customsawyer

You will have to have to take the drive belt off to get to it. All in all it is not to bad should take you about 30 min. or so. It is should have the same type of spring loaded tension thing-a-ma-gig that is used on the serpentine belts on pick-ups. Finding the right sized belt is the hardest thing you will face.
Two LT70s, Nyle L200 kiln, 4 head Pinheiro planer, 30" double surface Cantek planer, Lucas dedicated slabber, Slabmizer, and enough rolling stock and chainsaws to keep it all running.
www.thecustomsawyer.com

Beavertooth

Actually you don't have to take the drive belt off. You can roll the alternator belt up between  the drive belt and the small pulley coming off of motor until it comes out on back side. You will have to back off of the thingamajig on bottom side of belt that holds the belt up against small pulley.
2007 LT70 Remote Station 62hp cat.

POSTON WIDEHEAD

My alternator belt started splitting at 600 hours. Nothing caused it to split. Just wear. I don't think it matters who makes a built this day and time.......the material belts are made of is just not the same as it used to be.
The older I get I wish my body could Re-Gen.

Brucer

The alternator belt came apart on my second mill after only 300 hours. I discovered that one of the belt guards was installed wrong -- it interfered with the alternator when it was in the proper position. So whoever assembled the mill just pulled the alternator too far out and put way too much tension on the belt.

I replaced the belt with one from an automotive supplier. That one failed after 600 hours. By this time I had a spare on hand from Wood-Mizer. That one is still doing fine after 1600 hours.
Bruce    LT40HDG28 bandsaw
"Complex problems have simple, easy to understand wrong answers."

bandmiller2

I have alot of "V" belts kicking around.If I need to find the right legnth I take one of the same cross section cut it and wrap around the sheeves and mark where they join.Measure to the mark with a tape,be sure to tell the belt supplier its outside measure . Save the cut belt fore the next time. Frank C.
A man armed with common sense is packing a big piece

Nomad

This is a 4 rib flat belt.  I got a replacement at NAPA; picked up 2.  CustomSawyer, you must be faster than I am! :D  Took me about an hour to replace it.
     Beavertooth, if you could get that belt under the main drive belt pulley either yours is looser than mind or you're part octopus.  I couldn't do that for love nor money.  And believe me, I tried!!!
     This mill is 4 years old, and still with very low hours.  (I'm working hard on that.)  No misalignment issues with the pulleys; I think it was just a case of old age.  Or might a been a wasp nest in there or something.  I dunno.
Buying a hammer doesn't make you a carpenter
WoodMizer LT50HDD51-WR
Lucas DSM23-19

Beavertooth

Nomad
   I do have the 62hp cat on my LT70. Wasn't thinking at the time about it but something must be different about the LT50  Sorry.
2007 LT70 Remote Station 62hp cat.

Thank You Sponsors!