iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

6.7 stroke fuel leak

Started by snowstorm, November 01, 2019, 06:02:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

snowstorm

started it the morning and it skipped with fuel every where. after bit of looking i found it. broken injector hold down on number 4.  it pushed the injector out 2". went to the ford dealer for parts and all they had was 1 hold down and it wasnt the latest up dated part. everything will be here monday. it also broke the return line fitting. you have to buy all 8 with the line. service manger said the last time one of his techs replaced the line he said he would quit if he had to do another 1

celliott

Good thing you can't quit huh? 

Good luck!
Chris Elliott

Clark 666C cable skidder
Husqvarna and Jonsered pro saws
265rx clearing saw
Professional maple tubing installer and maple sugaring worker, part time logger

nativewolf

Trying to find a bright spot there ...maybe you've got the weekend to rest up and enjoy yourself.  At least it isn't plowing season? 

Not really much in the way of lemonaide from that lemon.
Liking Walnut

snowstorm

when you see a 6.7 for the first time it looks like it fills the engine bay and would be hard to work on. and it can be. after taking the air box and battery box and the fender liner out. it can be done. if i did this everyday maybe it would be easy   maybe

kiko

People can make it difficult trying to work around components that simply need to be removed.  A guy was in the shop the other day and says every time I am here you are working on one if those Ford trucks.  They all tear up. I personally like the way the Fords are assembled.  From this mechanics standpoint the engineering on the Ford is superior.   The others will take a piece of pipe and smash it flat on each end ,drills some holes in the ends and then use it as a brackett to keep the alternator from shaking.  So I have 160k on my 6.7 so far. It is racking up the miles faster than the others as it the main truck currently.

GRANITEstateMP

Quote from: kiko on November 02, 2019, 09:42:42 AMPeople can make it difficult trying to work around components that simply need to be removed.

kiko hit the nail on the head!  The guys in the shop here are always telling me "it's easier if you take the time to remove, this or that, verse struggling around it forever on end. One of them had to do a Radiator and a/c condenser on a van not that long ago.  I brought the parts out into the shop and he had the grill, bumper cover and bumper off.  He told me it took him less than an hour to take all that off, it saved him HOURS on the broken components.  He is paid flat rate, his goal is to fix it, and do it in under the allotted time, he did.

Sometimes you'll spend more time taking stuff apart to get to the part that needs repair than time on the repair, but it's usually worth it in the end!
Hakki Pilke 1x37
Kubota M6040
Load Trail 12ft Dump Trailer
2015 GMC 3500HD SRW
2016 Polaris 450HO
2016 Polaris 570
SureTrac 12ft Dump Trailer

snowstorm

i got the new hold downs. they look to be stamped steel. the others were cast steel. the latest update has a e at the end of the part number

snowstorm

i am now seeing why everyone hates replacing the fuel return line. the connectors are plastic so you would think they would come apart easy they do not

mike_belben

At some point in my life i made the decision that if i was gonna have to fix things, theyd better be cheap.   Because i could not stomach having expensive things in need of repair.
Praise The Lord

snowstorm

ended up with 2 broken hold downs. 1 had 1 finger still there

Thank You Sponsors!