iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Ss chimney liner to double wall insulated

Started by muddog77, August 25, 2020, 10:25:51 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

muddog77

Hello all thanks for any help in advance . Here's my problem. I'm moving to a rock house that has a basement main level and attic space. The chimney starts in the basement and is made up of clay tile and brick. The previous owners knocked the chimney down below the roof line When they had the roof redone. I would like to install a stainless steel chimney liner from the basement all the way to the roof and then I have a double wall insulated pipe To extend through the roof. I also have a rain cap and Roof thimble. The insulated pipe is made by Sellkirk part number 206148. Would I have any problems connecting the stainless steel chimney liner to this insulated pipe before it exits my roof Or would I maybe need some sort of an adapter?

jmur1

muddog77

You have your hands full on this one.  Because the chimney is now terminated below the area where it will have a draft it means that it will not work as it should.  This means more condensation and no draft up.  Also major CO hazards and mold.  Structural questions are also raised since the top may have no support and you will connect to it with a pipe that sees wind load.  How much work would it be to reinstall the chimney roof penetration?  

jmur1
Easy does it

hedgerow

muddog77 Welcome to the forum. The first thing I would do is check with your house insurance company and see what they will allow. I have installed a couple of new furnace's in houses the last couple of years that the owners had insurance updates on there homes and they couldn't make there wood chimney's past the new insurance mandates so they stopped burning wood. 

muddog77

I'm not sure everyone understands what i am trying to do.  I want to attach a stainless steel chimney liner to this

which will be going through the roof directly above the chimney

with this on outside of roof

Why would there be no draft up?  And with the chimney being in the center of my house i shouldnt need to insulate the ss liner so condensation should not be a problem, right?  The insulated pipe will be securely attached to the roof so wind load will not be a factor.  I dont see where CO hazards and mold would be a problem either.  I dont want to burn my house down or put someone in danger from CO2 poisening.  Is this really a bad idea?  Anyone's input is appreciated.

sprucebunny

Welcome to the forum !

I've been studying chimney liners lately. I think the problem is that the liner is not attached to much. It just sits in the chimney and is possibly supported by the woodstove/furnace. The Selkirk products have some heft. You need to support it vertically and from wind load.

That chimney stub would need to be added onto to provide support which may not align with clearances that are a good idea or required by your insurance.

I did see some pipe type liners with a twist-lock similar to Selkirk.

You would need a roof support package and an extension to the chimney pipe.
MS193, MS192 and an 026  Weeding and Thinning. Gilbert Champion sawmill

Old Greenhorn

I just finished my new chimney, so am a bit familiar with the catalogs. There is a transition anchor plate available. You have tight quarters there. You need a very secure connection between the liner and the rest of the chimney. The anchor plate will need to be connected to the top of the chimney. You would probably be best to pen the roof to give you working room to put a goof finish flat coat on top of the chimney and get everything installed properly, but it is do-able. Make sure you get it inspected and get a COC or whatever your insurance company requires. I would call selkirk and show them you photos and ask about the details of that transition plate setup. I have never used one.
 Best of luck.
Tom Lindtveit, Woodsman Forest Products
Oscar 328 Band Mill, Husky 350, 450, 562, & 372 (Clone), Mule 3010, and too many hand tools. :) Retired and trying to make a living to stay that way. NYLT Certified.
OK, maybe I'm the woodcutter now.
I work with wood, There is a rumor I might be a woodworker.

jmur1

muddog77

The big issues that I would be concerned with is leakage of the liner at the joints and throughout the chimney.  Since the chimney exterior is now vented to the attic the gasses that build up in there have now where to go except in the attic and then the house.  

This is also a serious fire separation problem.  Imagine a chimney fire.  The attic could see flames and no one would know.

I looked through the NFPA and found this - may not apply exactly, but does give some idea its a bad idea.

jmur1

Easy does it

Thank You Sponsors!