iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

question on woodburning stove chimney, can i use single wall up the outside?

Started by Kelvin, November 15, 2008, 07:56:55 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Kelvin

Howdy,
I've been helping my brother try install a used wood furnace cheaply.  I assumed the easiest thing to do would be to simply do what i've seen done all over the countryside, put a single wall, black pipe chimney up the outside of the house for less than $100 vs. stainless double wall for $750-$1200  When we went to the store to buy the stuff the guys scared us about doing this.  I assume that with stand offs we could keep the chimney 18" away from the house (code?) and we are using an old piece of triple wall through the basement window.  Is this a really bad idea?  Would house insurance people not cover this really?  I know that a brand new car is better than an old one, and more money usually gets you better things, but when all is said and done the reason we are doing this is b/c he doesn't have any money to heat his house.  He wants to try out the wood thing.  I've told him that stainless will last forever and be the best investment, but he wants to see if he has the time and energy to make it work for a couple of years.  Thoughts?
Kelvin

Gary_C

Not a good idea.

First it will draw poorly and backdraft into the stove. Problem is it will cool the flue gasses too much and they will not rise.

Second it will radiate enough heat at the bottom to burn the siding on the house.

And finally building codes usually require a Class A triple wall chimney for wood stoves.
Never take life seriously. Nobody gets out alive anyway.

zopi

Well...Fire is one thing I take no chances on...been through one house fire and that is enough..And if you've ever seen a flue fire you'll appreciate the reasoning behind double wall..

IMO the insurance companies will hose you for whatever they can, whenever they can get away with it..tried it with our house fire until I offered to feed the adjuster his desk planner...

Having said all that...well maintained single wall has worked for a couple centuries now, all over the world...it's what's going in my workshop, but not my home.
Got Wood?
LT-15G GO chassis added.
WM sharpener and setter
And lots of junk.

Reddog

Kelvin,
I won't cover the right or wrong of the code part.
But here are the real world problems I have had with single wall on the ext wall of the building.
It does not stay hot, so the gases condeses on the inside of the pipe and causes it to rot out within a year or two.
Also because it does not stay hot, it seems to be hard to get a good draft pulling the smoke out.
If we were going single wall like on the barn, we would use well casing.

Just my .02

beenthere

south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

SwampDonkey

"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

StorminN

Try to find the insulated pipe used... I've seen it at the local used building materials place here for about $25 a stick for 6"... it's worth it.

-N.
Happiness... is a sharp saw.

J_T

Yep tripple wall .I feel his pain i'm in the same boat  :'( Tryed that other smoke dector goes off at one  and you up with the doors and windows open no fun  ;D Every thing been posted in right I know the hard way .Since I never give up I may rig a blower on the outside pipe . Did that once but it got to run all time  ???
Jim Holloway

bull

build a stone chimney---- not sure on the hight you need but clay liners are cheap and a few bags of mortar and your time you could build a reasonable single flue chimney for cheap money

J_T

Jim Holloway

bull

cheyenne

Since the price of oil is plummeting & he's not sure about the time & energy he will have to expend & the cost of doing it safely he would be farther ahead not doing either! or run the  piping up the existing chimney either way there's no easy or cheap answer. The main concern is safety & peace of mind. But no matter what I would go over that used stove with a fine tooth comb.....Cheyenne
Home of the white buffalo

Thank You Sponsors!