iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Sawing/Drying Holly

Started by pinehillstacker, June 14, 2019, 08:53:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

pinehillstacker

I have a hundred or so bf of holly logs that I cut down not long ago.  From what I've read, that was the wrong time of year to cut it, but the holly trees were in the way of a building project, so I didn't have a choice.  Getting ready to saw it and have a couple questions for you guys.  I was planning to saw 1" boards.  I don't know how holly dries as far as checking, staining, etc.  Will 1" boards dry ok?  

I have a kiln lined up to put the lumber in directly after I saw it, but the guy running the kiln has never done holly before.  Are there any tricks to get it to dry right?  Does it need extra stickers, or slower/faster drying?

Thanks in advance,
Si
Lonely Oaks Timber - custom sawing, logging

Ianab

The trick seems to be to get it dry ASAP after the tree is cut. The wood soon loses it's white colour that makes it special, and goes a boring grey. 

I don't think there are any special drying issues, just time.  The cooler temps in winter slows the greying process and means you have more time between cutting and drying, which makes life easier. 
Weekend warrior, Peterson JP test pilot, Dolmar 7900 and Stihl MS310 saws and  the usual collection of power tools :)

kelLOGg

Here's my experience with kiln drying holly too late.

HOLLY in Sawmills and Milling
Cook's MP-32, 20HP, 20' (modified w/ power feed, up/down, loader/turner)
DH kiln, CatClaw setter and sharpener, tandem trailer, log arch, tractor, thumb tacks

WDH

If the logs have been cut for a while, it probably has already gray stained some. 
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

pinehillstacker

Thanks everyone, sounds like I may have missed the boat, but going to saw it out anyways and see what happens. 8)
Lonely Oaks Timber - custom sawing, logging

Thank You Sponsors!