iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Mandrel Nut Right Hand or Left Hand Thread

Started by Corley5, June 03, 2016, 06:10:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Corley5

We've been working on the final disassembly of the Corley 5 the last couple days and are to the point the blade needs to be removed.  It's been 10 years ??? since it was last off :-\  We messed with it a bit the end of the day today and couldn't get any motion either left or right.  Is a left handed mill's mandrel nut right hand or left hand thread ???  I forget.  It's been a while and I want to know I'm going the right way before I get aggressive with it  ;) ;D
Burnt Gunpowder is the Smell Of Freedom

grouch

I don't have any personal knowledge about it.

Search came up with this:

Re: circle blade rotation

Find something to do that interests you.

Corley5

We'll try loosening opposite of rotation first and see if that works.  I'm thinking it may need a little heat too.  Just a little though  ;) :)

Ron Wenrich

Rust Reaper might be what you need.  I had one that got spun on too hard due to a mishap.  They had to cut it off.  Heat didn't work.  Hopefully, your's ain't that tight.
Never under estimate the power of stupid people in large groups.

dustyhat

You can check the threads on the end if you can see any and tell which way the nut runs off. but of coarse depends on who build it . most times loosen the way the teeth point.

Corley5

It's left hand  :)  Comes off clockwise the way the teeth point  8)  There wasn't any thread showing :)  I had been soaking it with Sea Foam Deep Creep and PB Blaster.  I'm out of Rust Reaper/Blue Creeper.  I couldn't find a 2 3/4" socket to use the impact so I picked up a new MAP/propane gas torch.  I needed a new one any way  ;D  That was easier than hauling the cutting torches over.  Put the heat to it and pounded the mandrel wrench a few times CCW and it showed threads.  Flipped the wrench and whacked it a couple times and we were moving  8) 8)  Everything is removed and ready to load and haul except for one section of track with the carriage sitting on it.  We need to unload a hay wagon load of lumber and we're going to pull the carriage on to the wagon to one side and put the tracks on the other side and leave them there so they're mobile ;D

shopteacher

I had to split the one on my Corley 5 when I was dismantling it to bring it home.
Proud owner of a LT40HDSE25, Corley Circle mill, JD 450C, JD 8875, MF 1240E
Tilt Bed Truck  and well equipted wood shop.

dgdrls

Did some digging around on the Web and found a shop in Indiana that
builds replaceable collar set-ups.  Looks like a custom arbor with the collars
bolting to a fixed/machined plate right on the arbor shaft.  Remove and replace,  the collars can be
machined off the mill.

Pretty cool idea,

D

WVKaizer

Quote from: dgdrls on June 05, 2016, 03:30:45 PM
Did some digging around on the Web and found a shop in Indiana that
builds replaceable collar set-ups.  Looks like a custom arbor with the collars
bolting to a fixed/machined plate right on the arbor shaft.  Remove and replace,  the collars can be
machined off the mill.

Pretty cool idea,

D
Came across this older post, any chance you recall who made these in Indiana? I did my best google searching and couldn't come up with a lead.

thecfarm

WVKaizer,welcome to the forum.
@dgdrls ,can you help? ;D  with that symbol in front of a members name,it sends them a notification about this thread. Must be exact name. If there are caps in the user name,they must be there.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

dgdrls

WVKaizer,

Welcome to the FF,

I sent a link via PM for the builder to you.

Best
Dgdrls

Thank You Sponsors!