iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

moved the WB but the wick still dries out - Nyle L200M

Started by jimbarry, July 20, 2020, 08:21:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jimbarry

This was the position I had the WB on prior runs. Issue I had then was the wick would drip, it was that wet. Better too wet than too dry, right? Well now  its gone the opposite way. It won't stay wet.

So I moved it to here.

Cut a fresh wick at 8am and dampened the wick. Checked in at 12pm, dry again. Wet it again. Checked it at 8pm tonight. Dry again. 

Its dry just at the exposed part. The part of the wick in the tubing is damp.

This was the controller 8pm before I went inside to check the wick.

and this was about 2 min after going in and wetting the wick again.

I am looking for advice on how to keep the WB wick moist. Should I move it again, to a spot that has less air movement? I'm assuming its drying out too quick because of air movement. Should I move it closer to the side of the water container?

Southside

My WB and DB are 12" apart from each other, but the difference is my water tank is immediately below the WB, so there is only about 2" at most of wick exposed to the air.  Actually have to careen my hand around to get the tank top off it's that close. 
Franklin buncher and skidder
JD Processor
Woodmizer LT Super 70 and LT35 sawmill, KD250 kiln, BMS 250 sharpener and setter
Riehl Edger
Woodmaster 725 and 4000 planner and moulder
Enough cows to ensure there is no spare time.
White Oak Meadows

WDH

My wick is only about 3 - 4" long and exposed as well and it does not dry out.  Yours is probably too long. 
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

YellowHammer

I agree, I would say it's way too long.  Mine run basically straight out of the cap onto the probe.

YellowHammerisms:

Take steps to save steps.

If it won't roll, its not a log; it's still a tree.  Sawmills cut logs, not trees.

Kiln drying wood: When the cookies are burned, they're burned, and you can't fix them.

Sawing is fun for the first couple million boards.

Be smarter than the sawdust

jimbarry

Thanks for the comments. So is this a better placement for the WB?

This is the controller after the move. I have to check it again in an hour for the regular 12 hr check in at 8am. 

And here's a deer I caught on camera a few minutes earlier at the top of the driveway munching on apples. 

Proof yet again that all females, no matter the species, have eyes in the back of their heads ;) 

jimbarry

K-Guy

Quote from: Southside on July 20, 2020, 08:38:09 PMMy WB and DB are 12" apart from each other, but the difference is my water tank is immediately below the WB, so there is only about 2" at most of wick exposed to the air.  Actually have to careen my hand around to get the tank top off it's that close.

@jimbarry

That's how you do it.

And it's hard to believe @Southside didn't have chickens involved.
Nyle Service Dept.
A common mistake people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools.
- D. Adams

jimbarry

I'd read somewhere that Yellowhammer had put his water bottle higher than the WB so that gravity would help keep the wick wet. But I'll try this position as well; 12 inches apart and place the container below the WB.

GeneWengert-WoodDoc

On a long bulb, only the last 1/2 inch has the temperature sensor. 
Gene - Author of articles in Sawmill & Woodlot and books: Drying Hardwood Lumber; VA Tech Solar Kiln; Sawing Edging & Trimming Hardwood Lumber. And more

jimbarry

I haven't run the kiln at all this summer. Now that the weather has cooled off, we are back to working more outdoors. I stuffed another 2 cord in the kiln this past week. I am back to having the same problem, wick is drying out. Even if I cut a new one each day.
I've tried it with the cover (plastic peanut butter jar mentioned in a previous post) over the water container and wick that comes out of the cap. Also tried without the cover.
The kiln is on its last 24 hrs. Out of frustration I've moved the probe to about 3-4 to 1 inch below where the wick comes out of the water container.  If by tomorrow morning when I check it again, and the wick is bone dry again, well, I'm at a loss as to how to keep the wick damp.

Southside

If it's the same as in your photo from back in July then I would say it's still too long.  My probes are parallel to the exterior walls, yours is 90 degrees to that so you have a lot more wick exposed.  I will get a photo of mine for you.  
JD Processor
Woodmizer LT Super 70 and LT35 sawmill, KD250 kiln, BMS 250 sharpener and setter
Riehl Edger
White Oak Meadows

WDH

My wet bulb probe is also parallel to the wall and there is step-out on the wall and the water bottle and probes are shielded from the direct air flow by this.  You can see the water bottle on the front right wall.  Here is a pic.  There are now 2 more fans on the fan deck than shown in this pic. 

Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

Southside

JD Processor
Riehl Edger
White Oak Meadows

Thank You Sponsors!